Raced a Tool in a Cobra - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Raced a Tool in a Cobra within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I had some fool revving a regular 97 mustang at me. I was in the turning lane. I just smiled ...

WRX
    I had some fool revving a regular 97 mustang at me. I was in the turning lane. I just smiled and went on my merry way.
    13.12@101mph
    248whp 204lb/ft torque
    mods

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Mods??
    2002 WRBP WRX

Old setup = BPM GT turboback, PDE up-pipe, Unichip w/custom map, cooler plugs (NGK range 7), Walbro 255LPH FP, MBC (15 PSI), and custom built turbo utilizing the 13G housing (Internals: Hitachi compressor wheel, Mitsu 15G turbine lightly clipped).

1/4, 12.88 105.10 - 1/8, 8.09 85.96

New set up = Now w/UTEC and STI Injectors

1/4, ? - 1/8, ?

Originally posted by capt'n'caveman
    so what r ur mods?
    From his profile:

Estimated HP 215 WHP, 13.5 at 97.5 MPH with stock turboback

Engine/Transmission mods VS0 reflash, uppipe, crank pulley, Helix down pipe, K&N filter
    -Brian.

Originally posted by Trainrex
    Everybody run!!! It's a spy!!! ***runs out of house screaming and flailing arms above head***

Sorry it took me so long to respond, but my mods are a VS0 reflash, uppipe, crank pulley, downpipe w/o cats, I ran a 13.5 without the downpipe my first run at the track, only got to get in one run, so w/o the dp I am pushing low 13's probably.

Since when does a 97 Cobra trap at 107 with just 4.10 gears, thats LS1 territory, that MPH seems alittle fast to me.
    Last edited by abbo7; 07-23-2003 at 02:06 AM.
    Sold: 2002 WRX
    w/VS0 best of 13.5 at 97.5

New: 2003 Silverado

Originally posted by abbo7
    Since when does a 97 Cobra trap at 107 with just 4.10 gears, thats LS1 territory, that MPH seems alittle fast to me.
    I'm with you Abbo. The later 320 horse versions trapped 101-102 stock. For a pre-99 Cobra to run 107 with just gears doesn't sound right.

For a 3391 lb. car to run 107 mph trap speed with a 180 lb driver, it would have to be making approximately 348 horsepower. I have no doubt that there weren't any 97 Cobras that left the factory putting down that kind of power.

Hey, I said I didn't remember the mph...read the post.
    It was over a year ago so I don't have the slip, otherwise I'd post it...slips get lost w/ all my receipts anyway. I do know I ran a 13.4+ though.

Registered User StoplightWarrior's Avatar
    Originally posted by Typhoon
    I'm with you Abbo. The later 320 horse versions trapped 101-102 stock. For a pre-99 Cobra to run 107 with just gears doesn't sound right.

For a 3391 lb. car to run 107 mph trap speed with a 180 lb driver, it would have to be making approximately 348 horsepower. I have no doubt that there weren't any 97 Cobras that left the factory putting down that kind of power.
    I've seen stock 99 cobra's trap 109...seen stock 96-98 cobras trap 105...with gears, and basic bolt ons, 113 is very possible. Hell, i've seen a BONE stock Ls1 Ws6 run a 12.6@113!!
    2003 SRT-4

Originally posted by RaccoonRacing
    I've seen stock 99 cobra's trap 109...seen stock 96-98 cobras trap 105...with gears, and basic bolt ons, 113 is very possible. Hell, i've seen a BONE stock Ls1 Ws6 run a 12.6@113!!
    The conversation was about a 97 Cobra. The fact that you've seen bone stock 96-98 cars trap 105 is very curious. I'm thinking that they were not as stock as you were lead to believe by their owners. I say that based on the fact that Bob Cosby, who had the fastest bolt on Cobra 99 Cobra around only ran a 105 mph trap speed. That is with 4.30 gears, a cat back, a K&N, and a live axle swap that netted him a 90 lb. weight savings. The 99's were faster than the 97's and he couldn't manage to run faster than 105 with his changes.

As for 99 Cobras running 109 mph, I would have see the tech teardown on that. The reason being is that no Cobra running that fast made it to any track where anyone saw them and put them into a magazine. If they were running 109 mph through the traps, they should have been running a 12.7 second quarter mile. If 99 Cobras ran those kinds of times, magazines everywhere would have heralded them as the great hope of the Mustang community and Ford wouldn't have had to up the horsepower on the Cobra at all because it would have been flat layin' the stank on the LS1's. I would be very, very interested in seeing an article that shows a bone stock 99 Cobra running within 2 tenths of that speed. Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords said that the 12.9 and 12.8 second times they got with an LS1 Z28 couldn't be touched by any stock Cobra they ever tested, I think they would be real interested to know of the existence of one a 109 mph stock 99 Cobra.

*Edited in the morning to make it less sarcastic while keeping the same message*
    Last edited by Typhoon; 07-24-2003 at 07:51 AM.

The conversation was about a 97 Cobra. The fact that you've seen bone stock 96-98 cars trap 105 is very curious. I'm thinking that they were not as stock as you were lead to believe by their owners. I say that based on the fact that Bob Cosby, who had the fastest bolt on Cobra 99 Cobra around only ran a 105 mph trap speed. That is with 4.30 gears, a cat back, a K&N, and a live axle swap that netted him a 90 lb. weight savings. The 99's were faster than the 97's and he couldn't manage to run faster than 105 with his changes. Very curious that he would have been called the fastest.

As for 99 Cobras running 109 mph, I would have see the tech teardown on that. The reason being is that NONE, not one, of these super-Cobras made it to any track where anyone saw them and put them into a magazine. If they were running 109 mph through the traps, they should have been running a 12.7 second quarter mile. If 99 Cobras ran those kinds of times, magazines everywhere would have heralded them as the great hope of the Mustang community and Ford wouldn't have had to up the horsepower on the Cobra at all because it would have been flat layin' the stank on the LS1's. I would be very, very interested in you producing an article that shows a bone stock 99 Cobra running within 2 tenths of that speed. Considering that Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords said that the 12.9 and 12.8 second times they got with an LS1 Z28 couldn't be touched by any stock Cobra they ever tested, I think they would be real interested to know of the existence of one of these 109 mph stock 99 Cobras.

If my post is a "little" sarcastic, forgive me. It's 1:30 am here and I should be sleeping, but I just had to respond.
    Its cool, If I hadnt been there at Sac Raceway to witness any of these runs myself, I wouldnt believe it either. The LS1 that ran 12.6x@113 is owned by Mom at Norcal-Ls1.com. She's VERY well known at this point. She dyno'ed 326 at the wheels stock! Can you say FREAK!?
    The 99 cobra was a friends car driven once randomly by my bud Bobby, and the car was BONE stock down to the paper air filter! He ran a 14.00@109! He couldnt launch for crap on the IRS & stock tires, and when the board lit up I was shocked! As far as the 96-98 cobras, I see em trapping anywhere from 96-105 stock, as in, I inspect them and they seem stock, some have air filters, flows, but we all know they add like 2hp, so thats negligable...Magazine times dont mean much to anyone who goes to the track on a regular basis. My good friend Dan, from our site, has a 2000 Mustang GT, and with only bolt ons, no nitrous, supercharger, turbo, ran a 12.9@105.x!! Some people can flat out drive!
    2003 SRT-4

Its cool, If I hadnt been there at Sac Raceway to witness any of these runs myself, I wouldnt believe it either. The LS1 that ran 12.6x@113 is owned by Mom at Norcal-Ls1.com. She's VERY well known at this point. She dyno'ed 326 at the wheels stock! Can you say FREAK!?
    The 99 cobra was a friends car driven once randomly by my bud Bobby, and the car was BONE stock down to the paper air filter! He ran a 14.00@109! He couldnt launch for crap on the IRS & stock tires, and when the board lit up I was shocked! As far as the 96-98 cobras, I see em trapping anywhere from 96-105 stock, as in, I inspect them and they seem stock, some have air filters, flows, but we all know they add like 2hp, so thats negligable...Magazine times dont mean much to anyone who goes to the track on a regular basis. My good friend Dan, from our site, has a 2000 Mustang GT, and with only bolt ons, no nitrous, supercharger, turbo, ran a 12.9@105.x!! Some people can flat out drive!
    The 109 mph time may have been a problem with the timing lights too. I have seen (As you may have) a few times where the lights weren't working right on the mph calculation and the ET looked right, but the mph was way freakish.

Normally I would agree with you that magazine times don't mean much (C&D, MT, etc.), but when a car is driven by Evan Smith (Of MM&FF), you can guaranty that you will be hard pressed to find anyone who can do better. He's the one that drove a stock Z28 to a 12.8 quarter in high heat and he's also the one that drove an 03 Cobra to a 12.4 quarter. The guy can rip through the gears with a talent that very few people on the planet have.

I can believe that a few examples of 99+ Cobra's can manage 105 mph speeds, but I would want to see the tech on a stock 97 that was running that speed.

As for the LS1 you were talking about, you're right that 326 rwhp is a freak. It was common for them to run 300 to 305 rwhp. If you got an LS1 that made 310-319 rwhp, you could count yourself lucky, and very few LS1's could break the 320 rwhp mark when stock. (Although it did happen)

The 109 mph time may have been a problem with the timing lights too. I have seen (As you may have) a few times where the lights weren't working right on the mph calculation and the ET looked right, but the mph was way freakish.

Normally I would agree with you that magazine times don't mean much (C&D, MT, etc.), but when a car is driven by Evan Smith (Of MM&FF), you can guaranty that you will be hard pressed to find anyone who can do better. He's the one that drove a stock Z28 to a 12.8 quarter in high heat and he's also the one that drove an 03 Cobra to a 12.4 quarter. The guy can rip through the gears with a talent that very few people on the planet have.

I can believe that a few examples of 99+ Cobra's can manage 105 mph speeds, but I would want to see the tech on a stock 97 that was running that speed.

As for the LS1 you were talking about, you're right that 326 rwhp is a freak. It was common for them to run 300 to 305 rwhp. If you got an LS1 that made 310-319 rwhp, you could count yourself lucky, and very few LS1's could break the 320 rwhp mark when stock. (Although it did happen)
    It certainly is possible that the timing lights were off...

fwiw, While evan smith is certainly a good, proven driver, he's got nothing on Sac Raceway's own Drew...Drew runs consistant low 12's in his NA 94 GT!! People toss him the keys and he routinely betters their times by 2-5 tenths! My good friend Jack has a 2000 Z28 with just a lid and cutout, was running 13.5@107 all night...Drew hopped in and first pass was a 13.2@110!! Having never even driven the car!

Also, Jack dyno'ed 326rwhp with just the lid and cutout in his z28! Thats 15hp less than I made at the wheels with 8lbs of boost through my puny 4.6 liter! I've said it before and I'll say it again, Ls1s were hand built by god himself!
    2003 SRT-4

It certainly is possible that the timing lights were off...

fwiw, While evan smith is certainly a good, proven driver, he's got nothing on Sac Raceway's own Drew...Drew runs consistant low 12's in his NA 94 GT!! People toss him the keys and he routinely betters their times by 2-5 tenths! My good friend Jack has a 2000 Z28 with just a lid and cutout, was running 13.5@107 all night...Drew hopped in and first pass was a 13.2@110!! Having never even driven the car!

Also, Jack dyno'ed 326rwhp with just the lid and cutout in his z28! Thats 15hp less than I made at the wheels with 8lbs of boost through my puny 4.6 liter! I've said it before and I'll say it again, Ls1s were hand built by god himself!
    LS1's definitely are awesome motors. I owned 2 F-bodies in my time, both pre-LS1. When I was looking for a new car a few years ago, I almost bought an LS1 Firehawk, but the interior was too cheap looking. I ended up with a Lightning, and never regretted it.

Probably the most extreme example of a blazingly fast LS1 can be found at this link:

http://users.ev1.net/~blown/pepper/

With no internal motor mods, no nitrous, and no blower, he ran an 11.56. That's flying.

Mustangs are DANGEROUS

Originally posted by tacomaboy138
    nice...Mustangs may be getting to be in a league of their own now though...I was watching Autoweek on the Speed Channel (i.e. NASCAR channel)and they were reviewing the new SVT that Ford is putting out....something close to a forced 400hp off the showroom floor... I have a new respect these cars.
    Those cars are crazy fast, but they are the most dangerous cars on the track every week when we go check out street legal drag racing... We saw atleast 4 mustangs lose control. 1 guy totalled his car on a straight drag strip!? Looked like his supercharger kicked in while he was in first or second and it twisted his rear-end out and he hit the wall on the right then proceeded to hit the wall on the left head on... sucked...
    Turrizm
    2002 WRX In Rally Blue
    Vishnu Stage 0
    Turbo Back exhaust

Re: Mustangs are DANGEROUS

Originally posted by turrizt
    Those cars are crazy fast, but they are the most dangerous cars on the track every week when we go check out street legal drag racing... We saw atleast 4 mustangs lose control. 1 guy totalled his car on a straight drag strip!? Looked like his supercharger kicked in while he was in first or second and it twisted his rear-end out and he hit the wall on the right then proceeded to hit the wall on the left head on... sucked...
    who cares its all about the PURE AMERICAN MUSCLE BABY!!!! 400hp>whatever you're import has... LOL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12