vette vs. rex?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on vette vs. rex? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; my boss has a 1999 vette auto. i dont want to say it is slow but it is a bit ...

sht

vette vs. rex?

my boss has a 1999 vette auto. i dont want to say it is slow but it is a bit beatup not that bad though. Im new to stick but im not that bad. do u guys think i can hang with him to about 60-70 miles per hour? he is one of those v8 guys that think all 4bangers are slow.
    wrx 04 black

workin for the man

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Re: vette vs. rex?

Originally posted by sht
    my boss has a 1999 vette auto. i dont want to say it is slow but it is a bit beatup not that bad though. Im new to stick but im not that bad. do u guys think i can hang with him to about 60-70 miles per hour? he is one of those v8 guys that think all 4bangers are slow.
    vette's are crazy. Now if u can't launch the rex then he'll eat u alive. If u can launch it then u prob would be able to be ahead till 40 or so but odds are the vette will take it.
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

Without mods or an STi, I wouldn't bet on it. I have an STi and barely hung with a C5 from 5-70 mph.

RN
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi - WR Blue/Gold wheels
    60': 1.768
    1/4: 13.155 @ 102.02 MPH

the worst thing is the auto's were actually better then the 6speeds. well from what i hear. and u can't miss a shift with an auto. u better have a low 13second wrx and/or be a good driver.

those ls1's are CRAZY
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

sht
    but it is an auto i drove it it reacts 2 seconds later after u hit the gas
    wrx 04 black

workin for the man

Re: vette vs. rex?

Originally posted by sht
    No. I've got both a 2001 C5 and a 2003 WRX w/Cobb stage 1 and the Vette is distinctly faster. The faster you go the worse it will be.

Per the mags a stock C5 will do 0-60 in the mid 4's versus a stock WRX in the high 5's (and that's with one hell of a start).

You could prevail if it were on snow, though....

When I was at a stage 2, I smoke most of the them, now with my stage 4, z06's dont stand a chance.

I took 3 of them at the track, winning all three times.

my only lose was to a 95 vette with a built 350 and automatic, I only lost by .03 sec.

so you should hang with him if you have any mods
    Stage IV+
    Going for 11's

Ike
    Did you just say Z06s don't stand a chance now that you are stage 4, or am I reading that wrong?
    Last edited by Ike; 07-19-2003 at 06:08 PM.

Originally posted by skullguy
    When I was at a stage 2, I smoke most of the them, now with my stage 4, z06's dont stand a chance.

my only lose was to a 95 vette with a built 350 and automatic, I only lost by .03 sec.

Any mods??? A very modified (like yours) can be competitive through a quarter mile...as the distance increases and the speeds get higher the odds for a WRX get lower. The shorter the race, the better the odds for a WRX.

A stock WRX versus a stock C5 isn't going to be very close

sht
    thanks for the input
    wrx 04 black

workin for the man

Originally posted by skullguy

Unless you are running high 11's, Z06's have quite a chance. Short of driver error, Z06's are low 12 to high 11 cars stock. I didn't think stage 4 was anywhere near that speed.

Re: Re: vette vs. rex?

Originally posted by dangrass
    No. I've got both a 2001 C5 and a 2003 WRX w/Cobb stage 1 and the Vette is distinctly faster. The faster you go the worse it will be.

Per the mags a stock C5 will do 0-60 in the mid 4's versus a stock WRX in the high 5's (and that's with one hell of a start).

You could prevail if it were on snow, though....

You suck... Just kidding man...to have a c5 and a wrx, thats ****ing crazy...im always on ebay fantasizing about an imaginary finance program for my imaginary z06 (some day it will be mine). Anyway, with regard to vettes...personally, I have beat c5's from a roll a few times...i tried a z06 when i had 276 whp, and it wasnt pretty...although, when we stopped he said it was pretty modified, so im not really sure what i would have done against it if it was stock...as far as 1/4, i havent had the opportunity to race any vettes at the track, but my friends neighbor has a z06 and we went from a light and i had him (to my surprise) by about 2 cars at 70 mph and i was still pulling. That was with my current setup though...
    2004 R32: 220 whp

For Sale: 2003 wrx
    376 whp @ 22 psi, 93 octane

Pics:
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/badassrex

Re: Re: Re: vette vs. rex?

Originally posted by BassMan097
    You suck... Just kidding man...to have a c5 and a wrx, thats ****ing crazy...im always on ebay fantasizing about an imaginary finance program for my imaginary z06 (some day it will be mine). Anyway, with regard to vettes...personally, I have beat c5's from a roll a few times...i tried a z06 when i had 276 whp, and it wasnt pretty...although, when we stopped he said it was pretty modified, so im not really sure what i would have done against it if it was stock...as far as 1/4, i havent had the opportunity to race any vettes at the track, but my friends neighbor has a z06 and we went from a light and i had him (to my surprise) by about 2 cars at 70 mph and i was still pulling. That was with my current setup though...
    Well, with 320 WHP you ought to be beating Vettes...at least until aerodynamics get to be a big issue. A stock C5 Coupe has about 310 RWHP while a Z06 has about 350 RWHP. These cars weight about the same as a WRX, have a bit less driveline loss, and significantly better aerodynamics.

While I understand the excitement of drag racing, one should realize that a Vette is not really "optimized" for drag racing. My idea of "track" is not a 1/4 mile of straight pavement, but a road course, where handling, braking, transient response, and powerband are all very relevant factors. Having run my C5 against various WRX's (and just about everything else) during track days at the local road course, I can say that the Vette is just a seriously fast sport car that is capable of accelerating, sticking, and braking at levels that are significantly higher than most cars....most WRX's included. The last time I diced with a highly modded WRX, what I noticed was that in low speed acceleration there wasn't a huge difference, but as speeds increased the relative advantage of the Vette increased. What really gave the Vette an advantage, however, was the handling. While the WRX was seriously understeering, the Vette was just moving along.

Having said all this, I love both cars, but I wouldn't try to race the WRX against a Vette on a road course. The WRX is quite good in local twisty road stuff, where speeds are <80 MPH and road conditions are lousy. The Vette is at it's best in the middle of Nevada. Nothing quite like being able to get into the 170's on those longs straights.

Best Motoring took the z06, 360 modena, a gtr, an nsx, an evo and a 911 turbo around one of the popular tracks in japan (might have been tsukuba), and the order of the finish was (I might be mistaken on the order of 4/5):

1) 911
    2) evo VII
    3) gtr
    4) nsx
    5) z06
    6) 360 modena

So, as far as road racing, it definitely depends on the driver...This is taking nothing away from the z06 or c5...they are truly amazing cars.
    2004 R32: 220 whp

For Sale: 2003 wrx
    376 whp @ 22 psi, 93 octane

Pics:
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/badassrex

Originally posted by BassMan097
    Best Motoring took the z06, 360 modena, a gtr, an nsx, an evo and a 911 turbo around one of the popular tracks in japan (might have been tsukuba), and the order of the finish was (I might be mistaken on the order of 4/5):

1) 911
    2) evo VII
    3) gtr
    4) nsx
    5) z06
    6) 360 modena

So, as far as road racing, it definitely depends on the driver...This is taking nothing away from the z06 or c5...they are truly amazing cars.
    Interesting. From everything I've read/experienced the Modena should have absolutely cleaned up, with the Z06 a close second. The NSX should have been dead last (I've beaten every NSX I've run against on the road course...by a lot). 911's are ok, but not as fast as Vettes on a track. Don't know about a GTR, and I suspect an EVO would be pretty darn good, but not in the Modena/Z06 league.

I'll have to sign up for another track day and report on my..er...research. Road and Track did an article a few years ago comparing 2 cars from several manufacturers on the track (I'll see if I can find it). I do remember that the fastest at Thunderhills was the Modena, second fastest (by a few hundredths) was the Z06, followed, I think, by a Porshe Turbo. What was interesting was that an S2000 was slower than an NSX...and I think a stock Z28 was just about the same as the NSX.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.