vette vs. rex? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on vette vs. rex? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; A stock WRX really shouldn't be racing a C5 Vette. With mods - say a Turboxs stage 2, you could ...

A stock WRX really shouldn't be racing a C5 Vette. With mods - say a Turboxs stage 2, you could definately give a C5 a good race up to 90mph or so.

A stock WRX if launched properly could hang with a C5 up to 50 mph or so. Thats it. After that the C5 is going to pull away from you like its nothing.

In my Stage 4 WRX, I beat every C5 Vette I ever raced on the street. I even beat one up to 130 mph from a 1st gear roll. Most C5 Vettes run low to mid 13s (on average) at the track.

At our local 1/8 mile, I beat every Z06 Vette I ever raced. I know this is only the 1/8 mile. But being able to beat a Z06 up to 85 mph is worth bragging about. On the street it would have been easier for me. So don't discount someone with a stage 4 saying he's been beating Z06 vettes.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Yup, I think your assessment is just about right. I'm a little surprised that you were able to stay with a Vette to 130 though. I would imagine that shortly thereafter it would have become hopeless. Your WRX is quite rapid!

Race and find out but I think you'll get smoked. If he power-brakes and gets a decent launch you should be toast by 40.

You guys must have some sick scoobies to be beating Z06's with ease. Those are fast cars. I think this one dude (don't you love that saying ) ran an 11.89 or somethin crazy with his stock
    2000 LS1 Camaro M6

Originally posted by BassMan097
    Best Motoring took the z06, 360 modena, a gtr, an nsx, an evo and a 911 turbo around one of the popular tracks in japan (might have been tsukuba), and the order of the finish was (I might be mistaken on the order of 4/5):

1) 911
    2) evo VII
    3) gtr
    4) nsx
    5) z06
    6) 360 modena

So, as far as road racing, it definitely depends on the driver...This is taking nothing away from the z06 or c5...they are truly amazing cars.
    Actually, the car in the test that you are talking about was a regular C5 with the Z51 suspension option. No small coincidence that they didn't test the Z06. It also appears that the GTR and NSX and possibly the Evo weren't factory stock. A person would have to be a very poor driver to not be able to outrun an NSX with a Z06 or 360 Modena, in every performance category there is.

yes i think you're right...i knew there was something "z" about the vette, but i didnt think it looked like a z06...but it lost pretty badly to the other cars ahead of it, and i dont think another 55 hp would have made that much of a difference
    2004 R32: 220 whp

For Sale: 2003 wrx
    376 whp @ 22 psi, 93 octane

Pics:
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/badassrex

It's more than just a 55 horsepower increase. The car also loses 135 lbs. of weight, it has a different 6 speed with better gearing, improved brakes, and a much improved suspension. The Z06 has run numbers as high as 1.01g on the skidpad and 70.3 through the slalom. It's much more care than a standard C5. With the ability to stop better, corner better, accelerate harder, and a lower body weight, the Z06 would have been quite a bit different to run through a road course.

Originally posted by BassMan097
    yes i think you're right...i knew there was something "z" about the vette, but i didnt think it looked like a z06...but it lost pretty badly to the other cars ahead of it, and i dont think another 55 hp would have made that much of a difference
    Where would I find "Best Motoring"?....I've never heard of it, but the article sounds interesting. As to the comments about a C5/Z51 versus a Z06, I agree with all of the comments except the brakes...which other than the color of the calipers (and the cooling duct for the rears) are identical. From what I understand about half of the ~.6 second difference between the 2 cars in the quarter is due to gearing...the Z06 being geared significantly lower. The other major difference between the two cars is the tires/alignment. The regular C5 comes with 245/275 runflats while the Z06 comes with 265/295 non-runflats (on 1" wider rims). While the normal C5 runs .25 degrees negative camber front and rear, the Z06 runs .75. The net effect of these differences on handling is almost a tenth of a G. When the Z06 first came out the mags that tested it indicated that it would run about 2 seconds faster than a coupe over their standard 2.5 mile road course.

Anyhow, I'd like to see this article...sounds interesting. (if not hugely meaningful)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.