SRT-4: 378.5/396.9 at the wheels!! - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on SRT-4: 378.5/396.9 at the wheels!! within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Just like in real world driving... didn't the One Lap car loose control and smash into the wall. I have ...

Just like in real world driving... didn't the One Lap car loose control and smash into the wall.

I have the picture some place..

The srt-4 is HORRIBLE to autocross with all that power puts it in the same class as a 350z.

Only the Z or and RWD or AWD will out handle the srt-4 even with lsd. FWD you can't get in good tight turns.. you would have to slow down on each turn while the z would blow right by.

Road racing is all it's good for. Drag racing... uh no get a GLH and build that up and the srt-4 would be toast.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by smolten
    Just like in real world driving... didn't the One Lap car loose control and smash into the wall.

I have the picture some place..

The srt-4 is HORRIBLE to autocross with all that power puts it in the same class as a 350z.

Only the Z or and RWD or AWD will out handle the srt-4 even with lsd. FWD you can't get in good tight turns.. you would have to slow down on each turn while the z would blow right by.

Road racing is all it's good for. Drag racing... uh no get a GLH and build that up and the srt-4 would be toast.
    You gotta read the whole story. It wound up having an off road excursion because of a few factors....

The course was wet because it was raining, and the finish line was at the end of a long straight, right before a turn. The driver, Erich, ran the last straight as fast as possible to get a better finish time, with total disregard to being able to break before the turn. Because he didn't have enough room to break and because of rain, he wound up off the track. C&D wound up moving the finish line up the straight to prevent this from happening again.

I've seen a non-lsd Stage 1 SRT hunt and pass two evo's at gingerman. With a driver who has any sense, the SRT can hold it's own against RWD or AWD. Neon chassis are super stiff and the suspension is very capable.

Also, the SRT's SCCA class is D stock, same as the WRX.
    2003 Dodge SRT-4 Black
    221 whp/ 241 wtrq *Stock*
    13.585 @ 102.88 *Stage 1*

"Nothing gives you such a sense of the infinite as stupidity"

The last auto-x I went to I think their were two srt-4 neons running. They held their own pretty well with their one wheel drive, One experienced guy was getting some times around the low 60's in them, enough to beat my 61.4, but this is only my second auto-x. Another driver driving the same srt-4 got around 64 seconds, around the same time as some stock wrx's. But from the overall results I have seen for the wrx's were getting better times over. Stock for Stock with rougly the same type of drive it just shows where dodge decided to focus its time on, and that was obviously straight line speed.

Any car can be fast with a good driver, and just because a srt-4 passed 2 evo's doesn't mean much because driving skill plays a huge part. A srt-4 beat me in an auto-x, and thats great, shows you that the guy really knows how to drive. But I think if you put that same driver in a EVO it would be a whole different story.
    Last edited by KanosWRX; 07-23-2003 at 11:40 AM.

My Mods

"The most important mod is the one behind the steering wheel" - Koyokid RIP

OK, let me ask you this, if the WRX was NOT AWD, do you think it would handle as good? I don't think so. You are comparing to entirely different platforms. I believe that for a FWD car, the SRT-4 does a hell of good job in the handling department. This car replaced the neon ACR, which we all know was a killer in handling. The 04 will have a factory installed LSD and KW is soon to release 2 different coilover suspension packages for the SRT-4. With that combo, I think the SRT-4 will be tough to beat.
    2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i [Bone Stock]
    2003 Dodge SRT-4 [303 hp/323 tq] - SOLD

tan
    that monster SRT-4....if you did your 1000 rpm launch...think it would beat Jim?

Originally posted by tan
    that monster SRT-4....if you did your 1000 rpm launch...think it would beat Jim?
    Tan, you're a funny guy! LOL!!
    2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i [Bone Stock]
    2003 Dodge SRT-4 [303 hp/323 tq] - SOLD

Originally posted by drizze99
    OK, let me ask you this, if the WRX was NOT AWD, do you think it would handle as good? I don't think so. You are comparing to entirely different platforms. I believe that for a FWD car, the SRT-4 does a hell of good job in the handling department. This car replaced the neon ACR, which we all know was a killer in handling. The 04 will have a factory installed LSD and KW is soon to release 2 different coilover suspension packages for the SRT-4. With that combo, I think the SRT-4 will be tough to beat.
    I was just making a comparison of two stock cars that are around the same price point. Just trying to say each car I think focuses on two different areas, the neon for speed, and the wrx for handling. Of course just about any car can be made to handle well with new suspension parts, just like it could be made to be faster. I know the neon can handle well, I have seen it auto-x and it does alright.

Also why bring up a comment about what if the WRX was not AWD, thats like saying what if the neon was just a 2.0 litter.

Also just a question, how much is next years model going to be with the LSD? figured they left it out to keep it under 20k, but I could be wrong?
    Last edited by KanosWRX; 07-23-2003 at 01:35 PM.

My Mods

driz not to be ignorant but what does the lsd do? I mean does it cut off power if the wheels are spining? Or Split the power between left to right till it stops skidding?

I've never driven in a car with a LSD unit so I'm dying to find out .

Plus it's a QUAIFE LSD which is one of the best systems you can get

Overall yeah must people that get sports cars NEVER ever go to the tracks or ever autocross.. They just like flyin on open roads.... and this is where the srt-4 ownz.... and the wrx kinda well sucks.... unless you put some $$$ mods in.... BUT i like my warranty and like to stay stock.

PS anyone have pix of the rumored blue 2003 srt-4?

Originally posted by smolten
    driz not to be ignorant but what does the lsd do? I mean does it cut off power if the wheels are spining? Or Split the power between left to right till it stops skidding?

I've never driven in a car with a LSD unit so I'm dying to find out .

Plus it's a QUAIFE LSD which is one of the best systems you can get

Overall yeah must people that get sports cars NEVER ever go to the tracks or ever autocross.. They just like flyin on open roads.... and this is where the srt-4 ownz.... and the wrx kinda well sucks.... unless you put some $$$ mods in.... BUT i like my warranty and like to stay stock.

PS anyone have pix of the rumored blue 2003 srt-4?

The LSD (Limited Slip Differential) diverts power to the wheel that is able to get traction.

IMO I don't think that the avg person "just like flyin on open roads". I know many people who enjoy auto-x and/or drag racing. I also disagree with "and the wrx kinda well sucks.... unless you put some $$$ mods in". With a simple boost control (MBC) for about $40 a stock WRX will be able to hold it's with a stock SRT-4.
    2002 WRBP WRX

Old setup = BPM GT turboback, PDE up-pipe, Unichip w/custom map, cooler plugs (NGK range 7), Walbro 255LPH FP, MBC (15 PSI), and custom built turbo utilizing the 13G housing (Internals: Hitachi compressor wheel, Mitsu 15G turbine lightly clipped).

1/4, 12.88 105.10 - 1/8, 8.09 85.96

New set up = Now w/UTEC and STI Injectors

1/4, ? - 1/8, ?

I am in no way trying to down the SRT-4, but if you want to talk about good handling FWD cars, go drive a Mazdaspeed Protege or a Mini S. I was reading a comparo in MT with the MSP, Focus SVT and SRT-4. The SRT-4 had a laptime of 1:07.29 and a max speed of 94. The Mazdaspeed had a lap time of 1:07.85 and a max speed of 84. That's .56 seconds difference with a car that was 10mph slower. Now that's some serious handling.

My friend and I drove one the other day, he drives an S2000 and he said the MSP felt as good or maybe better than his S2000 handling wise.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to prosper." Ben Franklin

Those mini's can kick ass on the track, probably the best FWD cars I can think of right now handling wise.

My Mods

Yeah they handle like a dream, but IMO it's way underpowered.

tan
    drizze99 is correct about the Neon ACR, back in the 1st gen neon.

It was a stripped 2-door with the 150bhp DOHC 2.0L, with not much for interior amenities. With its tuned suspension, they became very popular, very quickly in auto-x

I wonder what ACR stood for? Auto Cross Racer???

Originally posted by aheineken
    I am in no way trying to down the SRT-4, but if you want to talk about good handling FWD cars, go drive a Mazdaspeed Protege or a Mini S. I was reading a comparo in MT with the MSP, Focus SVT and SRT-4. The SRT-4 had a laptime of 1:07.29 and a max speed of 94. The Mazdaspeed had a lap time of 1:07.85 and a max speed of 84. That's .56 seconds difference with a car that was 10mph slower. Now that's some serious handling.

My friend and I drove one the other day, he drives an S2000 and he said the MSP felt as good or maybe better than his S2000 handling wise.

from the msprotege forums everyone is dumping the car saying it has a serious stall problem that could get them killed. The look nice but not worth the 21,000 msrp when a srt-4 or used wrx would fit the bill

Originally posted by tan
    drizze99 is correct about the Neon ACR, back in the 1st gen neon.

It was a stripped 2-door with the 150bhp DOHC 2.0L, with not much for interior amenities. With its tuned suspension, they became very popular, very quickly in auto-x

I wonder what ACR stood for? Auto Cross Racer???
    American Club Racer

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast