Need a little help - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Need a little help within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; http://www.autotrader.com/findacar/v...r=&cardist=102 http://www.autotrader.com/findacar/v...or=&cardist=76 So I take it you don't actually own a 2001S4......

Ike

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Ike
    Keep in mind if you actually get one of these cars there will be a good chunk of change involved in keeping it running. They go through brakes like mad, though I think this was improved a little after the first year or two of production.

I blew 8 valves in mine due to a timing belt problem, so make sure you keep that in tip top shape (goes for most cars, but this was after it had been replaced 15k miles prior). My turbo went out at 96k miles and it was taken care of pretty well, oil changes letting it idle before shutdown etc. Buying a used turbo car that old there is a good chance the turbo isn't in great shape. And the leather interior on them was crap, they crack and wear horribly, so I wouldn't expect the seats to be in the best shape on any of them. Lastly get a beige 1st gen, those are the best ones

And get this one for parts

http://www.autotrader.com/findacar/v...r=&cardist=153

Originally posted by Ike
    http://www.autotrader.com/findacar/v...r=&cardist=102

http://www.autotrader.com/findacar/v...or=&cardist=76

So I take it you don't actually own a 2001S4...
    I don't have the S4 anymore. With the bad economy, I lost my job and was forced to give it up, along with my house too. Times have been tough. Been driving a Geo Prizm, which has been a very good car, but not exactly the most fun. I loved the S4 and definitely wish I didn't have to give it up, but I am looking foward to getting a car that is a little less expensive that I can do a little work on myself. The second link looks very nice, I will give that guy a call. The first one is an auto though, . Can't do that. I would rather drive the Geo than an auto talon. Thanks for the links though. Good looking out.
    Last edited by 2001S4; 07-19-2003 at 06:15 AM.

Originally posted by Ike
    Keep in mind if you actually get one of these cars there will be a good chunk of change involved in keeping it running. They go through brakes like mad, though I think this was improved a little after the first year or two of production.

I blew 8 valves in mine due to a timing belt problem, so make sure you keep that in tip top shape (goes for most cars, but this was after it had been replaced 15k miles prior). My turbo went out at 96k miles and it was taken care of pretty well, oil changes letting it idle before shutdown etc. Buying a used turbo car that old there is a good chance the turbo isn't in great shape. And the leather interior on them was crap, they crack and wear horribly, so I wouldn't expect the seats to be in the best shape on any of them. Lastly get a beige 1st gen, those are the best ones

And get this one for parts

http://www.autotrader.com/findacar/v...r=&cardist=153
    Thanks for all the advice. Most of the cars I have looked at have been cloth seats, not leather. I don't mind either, as long as I find one that are in decent condition. I am actually planning on swapping the turbo out with a large 16G most likely. They are not very expensive and will give the car added power. I don't mind getting one that needs some work, I just don't want a total junker. Know what I mean?

Ike
    There was one in my area that is the 90 tan color but I think every body panel had a dent. It was $1999, but if you can do bodywork on your own or know someone to do it for cheap that may be the once since I'm sure you could get it for 1500 or so, let me know and I can put up a link. It also had some screwy looking wheels that were not OE.

P.S. Sorry about posting an auto, I didn't post others for that reason, guess I just missed that one. To bad, 60k miles is pretty damn low. But looks wise the white would be my second choice after the tan.

Originally posted by Ike
    There was one in my area that is the 90 tan color but I think every body panel had a dent. It was $1999, but if you can do bodywork on your own or know someone to do it for cheap that may be the once since I'm sure you could get it for 1500 or so, let me know and I can put up a link. It also had some screwy looking wheels that were not OE.

P.S. Sorry about posting an auto, I didn't post others for that reason, guess I just missed that one. To bad, 60k miles is pretty damn low. But looks wise the white would be my second choice after the tan.
    Thanks, don't worry about posting the auto. No biggie. My favorite color is the black with the gray trim. I like those a lot. The tan looks ok, just not my favorite. I would take one in tan however. That white one looks pretty good, have to give him a call.

Ike
    All the black ones I've seen recently look like hell, the tan metallic seems to hold up the best, I've seen some recently that look like new still. The paint on mine when it was 10 years old still looked great, and I like that they look cleaner since the body kit is the same color as the car, none of the other colors for the first couple years matched. But I'm just being biased :P

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12