S4 - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on S4 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by 2001S4 You may not care for the extra luxury and overall solid feel, and that is fine. ...

Thumbs up

Originally posted by 2001S4

You may not care for the extra luxury and overall solid feel, and that is fine. Some of us that did go with an S4 enjoy these. I also LOVE the look of the S4. Over and over again, people try to point to the price, why do so many people care what I spent? I am happy with my choice, I love my car, and I don't think there are many cars out there that I would choose over it. I DID not spend my money because of a logo. I am really sorry if you did do that. I bought the car that I wanted. As I said, I am happy with my choice.
    That's great! You are right, if you want to spend more on a car that is equal to a WRX, then that is your right.
    2002 RSX Type S
    Anyone want to buy my car?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by RSXSucks

That's great! You are right, if you want to spend more on a car that is equal to a WRX, then that is your right.
    In my mind they are not equal. I have paid for some added benefits that I wanted. I am more than happy with my decision

Houston, TX / Athens, GA -at the same time!
    I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by 2001S4

In my mind they are not equal. I have paid for some added benefits that I wanted. I am more than happy with my decision
    i think he means performance equality; obviously the s4 has tons more luxury and comfort than the wrx, although i happen to love the seats the impreza has. anyway, for the die-hard performance car lover like me, all those extra frills are irrelevant to what's really important to me: whats under the hood, and who sits behind the wheel

A guy let me take his modded S4 out for a little spin at a recent autocross. The car was a MY 2000, I believe. It was my first time driving one. Here were my impressions:

The interior is fantastic! As soon as I looked into the thing, I was overwhelmed with the aesthetic quality of the finish. Wood trim and very nich plush plastics. It has a certain Zen austerity to it. I can't comment about the seat because this one had a Sparco racing harness that even my skinny ass had a hard time getting into.

This car was fast! Mind you he was running 22 psi of boost with racing gas for this autocross! The engine was also exceptionally smooth. None if the herky jerkiness I'm used to in my WRX. With his upgraded suspension there was virtually no body roll.

However, the car was completely devoid of driving feel. The steering very very loose and imprecise. I really couldn't feel what the car was doing. The feedback was nowhere as close as what I'm used to (and love about) in my WRX. In fact, I daresay it reminded me of my mother's old Lincoln Continental. The body of the car also felt significantly heavier than a WRX as well, with a lot more dampening as well as sound proofing.

In short, I prefer the racerboy-ish nature of my WRX to the S4. But it's still a very well put together car.

P.S. According to the latest issue of Automobile magazine, p. 15: the new RS6 sedan is on its way to the U.S. It's supposed to have a twin-turbo V8 with 444 HP and max torque of 413 lb-ft from 1950 RPM to 5500 RPMs!!!!! A five-speed Tiptronic gearbox and a quoted 0-62 mph tme of 4.9 seconds. Aslo, in response to the complaints of overdampening in the S-series' suspension, the RS6 is to have a new active dampening system.

Wow this is one long post. Where I work there is a blue S4 and she drives real slow, guess she just like the the S4 for the look ( nice ) and the up scale image.

So far I came across a lot of 330ci and 740i flying down rt 287, so running into a fast S4 will be a rare treat even if I can't beat it.

it was pouring tonite and on my way home I saw a new 740i with the blinker on doing 65 on the fast lane. It was pretty funny cause everyone kinda slow down switch to the middle lane looked at him and drove right by.

Btw the rex feels so good in the poring rain, unreal
    What mods, dude this baby is stock
    2002 Platinum Silver 5spd sedan.

Originally posted by RSXSucks

grill. Seriously, what does the S4 have that a very slightly modded WRX doesn't?
    Build quality.

You can't just compare the two on performance alone, but then in the next breath ask why the S4 costs x thousand dollars more. It's not about the Audi name nor just the performance, it's about the craftsmanship and the engineering. Anyone who claims that the WRX has great interior and exterior build quality, either does not own one, or has never driven in a solidly built automobile.

I love my car for what it is, and it is certainly no Audi.

-Pace
    Last edited by pace; 04-03-2002 at 06:00 PM.

I Support ClubWRX

Audi and WRX

We went with the best of both worlds. I got the WRX for its intended purpose; a semi-performance car with more bang for the buck than anything available for half again the price. It performs that function wonderfully, and is fun to drive in non-performance mode, too. I have te wagon, so I also have the advantage of utility and space. But it is still an economy car with big cajoles'.

My wife got the Audi A6 as a midsize entry-level luxury car, with some performance as a side benefit (we have the 200 HP 2.8, as opposed to the 250 HP bi-turbo, 300 HP 4.2 V8, or 350 HP S6.)She got the Audi for the AWD, quality, size, and feel. She did not like the BMW 3XX and wouldn't even look at the C class M-B. She is a practical women, and I had to talk her into splurging a little on the A6. If Honda/Acura made a car a little larger than the Accord, then we woud have continued with our 17 year Accord ownership. VW does not make an A6 sized car, and she refuses to even look at a Lexus or Infinity (although the G35 looks like the best bang for the buck in its niche.)

I could run rings (no pun intended) around her Audi with my WRX, but then mine will be worn out and nearly worthless in resale value long before her's even shows any wear and tear.

Worth half again what the WRX costs? Definintely. They don't compare, and both are more enthusiast oriented cars as opposed to following the trend, be it WRX vs. omnipresent Civics, or A6s vs yuppy-scum moms in BMWs.

Just my $.42 worth,
    Steve

Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA - Moderator - Fun Drives and North Central States
    The Morris Garage
    2008 Outback 2.5XT Ltd __2002 WRX Wagon __ 1958 MGA Roadster __ 2008 smart Cabrio __ and a few scooters...

S4 owners

The majority of S4 owners that i have met or seen here in SoCal are old, and oblivious. If you pass by them and give them a "thumbs up", they will look at you like your on dope, because they have'nt a clue as to why your gesturing at them: (did i leave my gas cap open again?, do i have a flat, did i leave my purse on the roof?, etc).

When I purchased my S4 a year ago, it was a decision between a silver Viper GTS, or a Black S4. I wanted the power of the Viper, but in the end; i honestly didnt want the high profile. The more I drive the S4, and the more I mod it; the happier I am with my decision. I have spent less total money, and am rapidly approaching the same performance levels; but i will remain in "terminal stealth mode". You cant buy that kit for a Viper.

AS far as owners of other brands are concerned: I give respect to every owner of every car who spends his weekends busting his knuckles wrenching on his ride, no matter where his ride came from.
    Last edited by Lycanthropic; 04-15-2002 at 04:52 PM.

Interest post, my question is why so many Audi folks come to this
    forum
    What mods, dude this baby is stock
    2002 Platinum Silver 5spd sedan.

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by WRXrumble
    Interest post, my question is why so many Audi folks come to this
    forum
    lol

good question. maybe they all also own wrxs

I Support ClubWRX

Re: S4 owners

Originally posted by Lycanthropic

When I purchased my S4 a year ago, it was a decision between a silver Viper GTS, or a Black S4. I wanted the power of the Viper, but in the end; i honestly didnt want the high profile. The more I drive the S4, and the more I mod it; the happier I am with my decision. I have spent less total money, and am rapidly approaching the same performance levels; but i will remain in "terminal stealth mode". You cant buy that kit for a Viper.

when i'm done w/ my rex, it'll be a viper killin' machine! (i hope ) best of all, no one will know how fast it is just by looking at it. that's what makes the subaru so cool - like Lycanthropic said, its in "stealth mode" and it draws a lot of suprises from more high profile cars on the road

Lightbulb

see, now you guys are catching on..............

I've met two S4 owners in person (one of which I chatted with for quite some time), both were quite cool. I think it's the occasional a-hole on message boards that ruins the reputation of the other S4 owners. The biggest attitude I hate is the "my car is more expensive, you couldn't afford it, ha ha". That simply ain't true. I had plenty of cash to buy an S4 when I was car shopping, I just like bang for the buck of the WRX, and I don't care at all about luxury or refinement (maybe someday but not right now). I decided I'd rather have a WRX with $15K in the glove compartment than an S4 .

In fact, with the cash I saved on an S4, I have enough to afford a second car (the latter is primarily a track day / autocross beast). I can't wait to post pictures of my baby when it arrives .

The reason S4 owners are here? They were probably pointed here from another board where someone said "look how stupid the WRX owners are, thinkin' their car is faster than an S4, lol"!

--Jason

I think I understand what your saying

But comparing cars based purely on 1/4 times is ridiculous. If 1/4 mile times were were the determining factor of what makes a car great, then everyone would be driving back-halfed 68' camaros with big's and little's and 572ci BBC's making 2000hp.

no thanks.

Maybe 1/4 mile times are all some of us care about. Just a thought.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.