Racing a modded GTI - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Racing a modded GTI within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Not to start a war.. but I've raced three differnet stock WRX's at the track, non yet on the streets.. ...

Not to start a war.. but I've raced three differnet stock WRX's at the track, non yet on the streets.. I'm running 14.4's consistant (14.414 ) that area.. But that's the track and not the street. I don't think a stock WRX can beat a chipped 1.8t... again a STOCK WRX VS a CHIPPED 1.8t.

I'm ran a stock wagon that ran a 15.000 flat, a stock sedan 5 speed which had ran a 14.8 along with another 5 speed wrx sedan that had only a BOV and intake that ran a 14.6 (prety much stock).

On all these that I raced They all had me all the way down the track up until about 3/4's of the way down the track.. or there abouts.. given that each ran different times.. Where at that time I passed for the win.. so to make it clear I won all three races. when I asked what they were launching at they said 4K so they were not beging babies it when at the line. Now I konw that these cars are capable of faster times... let that be said.

So I think it all depends how far you race.. cause you will get a good launch from the start.. and get about a 2 to 3 car lead.. I seamed to pass at around 70mph, again there abouts since each car was slightly faster..

I don't know how much experience each driver had expect for the wagon that ran 15.00 it was his first time at the track..

So if are racing from light to light you will win but the farther you race the less chance you have with a chipped 1.8t.. If a quarter mile, you can forget about it.

Unless your a studd and it's his first time drag racing..begin that you just got the car is sounds like so you have less experience with your car.
    Last edited by whodeani; 07-16-2003 at 05:20 PM.
    0-60 in 5.678 on 4-21-03
    BEST 1/4 Mile 14.098 @ 103.1 On the street
    BEST 1/4 Mile 14.123 @ 100.3 At the track

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'm gonna have to disagree on 'in the 1/4 mile.. forget about it', a WRX with a good launch and clean shifting will put down a GTI with chip and exhaust in the 1/4 mile... and unless my car traps at 110.. I've done the same thing on the street.. but against a turbo Jetta with even more mods when i was stock.
    STIwish
    -------------------
    03 Subaru WRX Sedan WR Blue -
    RIP

Not to start a war.. but I trap high end of the 90's.. 96 to 98 with my 14.4's

All the slips that I have with the REX's, they ranged from 88 = the 15.00 flat wagon to a 91 MPH with the 14.6

again all stock... sh** if I had supperman drive my car I could win too.. don't say a good driver and a good launch... tell me what the average is not the best out there.. cause when it comes down to it.. your never racing the best driver with the best launch be practical..

I'm telling you what I've experienced.. and what my opinion is..

Here are my mods.. 91 Octance chip,3" Down pipe, 3" race cat, from there the rest of the exhust is stock.. so that's only half an exhust, HKS SSQ and a Carbon Dynamic Airbox..
    Last edited by whodeani; 07-16-2003 at 05:36 PM.
    0-60 in 5.678 on 4-21-03

A vid of a near stock wrx beating a gti that had a chip, intake, full exhaust, and bov was posted on here not too long ago. The race lasted nearly 20 seconds so it was definately longer than a quarter mile and it showed the wrx ahead of the gti by about 1-2 carlengths.

vid: me vs 1.8t gti
    '04 WRB WRX Sedan

Well I guess we'll have to see the out come of this one.. the guy who posted that is..

0-60 in 5.678 on 4-21-03

i have raced a gti with about the same mods you shoudl win if you get him of the line. look at this post for the vid of the race vid: me vs 1.8t gti

Well it finally happened last night. A bunch of us from our local club met up a Wendy's, then we went over to a vacant 4 lane road with a light. Everyone else went ahead and measured a quarter mile from the light and pulled over there. The GTI and I lined up at the light, then moments before the light turned, I revved up to 3 grand, floored it, and slipped the clutch at 4 grand just as the light was changing. It was the second time I was launching the car, and this time I only bogged slightly while the first was terrible. I immediately jumped ahead of him by about 1-2 car lengths. As we passed our buds at the quarter mile mark, they said his front bumper was approximately half a car length off my back bumper. This was pretty much what I was expecting to happen.

The gti also tried his hand with a kid in our club with a '92 mr2 with a jdm turbo engine swap. Nobody really knew how fast the mr2 was going to be. They raced twice, with the mr2 beating the gti by about the same amount I beat him by both times. The kid with the gti gave excuses to his loss both times. Everyone said the mr2 and I would be a good race, but we had to save it for another night because of fear of cops coming.
    '04 WRB WRX Sedan

VERY nice man! Gotta love the excuses... I raced a built JDM Civic a while back... and I ripped him a new one pretty much with probably the worst launches you have ever seen.. I bogged so bad... well while I was racing another car later that night.. he is telling my wife (who was riding shotgun when i beat him bad) and a bunch of other spectators that i only got him by like a car length and if he didnt screw up his launch he would have beat me... it was really pathetic.
    STIwish
    -------------------
    03 Subaru WRX Sedan WR Blue -
    RIP

LOL.......The way I feel is, if you can't admit to a loss, then you shouldn't race in the first place. He did admit when he lost to me, just not when he lost to the mr2.
    '04 WRB WRX Sedan

Well if your ever in the bay area shot me a PM I would love to have a friendly race.. I'm that type of guy who loves to race no matter what the outcome is... that's what racing is all about.. winning and looseing.. you don't win them all..

0-60 in 5.678 on 4-21-03

Cool. I'm not exactly sure where the bay area is, though. I'm located in South Jersey, about 25 min from Philly.
    '04 WRB WRX Sedan

My buddy has a VR6 GTi and those things are pretty quick...bone stock! I took him off the line all the way up to around 110 then he begins to pull on me. He definitely has it in the upper speeds.
    "Live to race, Born to win!"

Originally posted by j-rock
    My buddy has a VR6 GTi and those things are pretty quick...bone stock! I took him off the line all the way up to around 110 then he begins to pull on me. He definitely has it in the upper speeds.
    Yea buddy, VR6's can get pretty crazy up in the higher speeds....

Originally posted by j-rock

Most QUICK FWD/RWD vehicles typically are better at those speeds than the WRX. The AWD just henders the output coupled with the 4th gear WALL that we face. Well, you could always do a turbo upgrade, etc to make up for it
    2002 WRBP WRX

Old setup = BPM GT turboback, PDE up-pipe, Unichip w/custom map, cooler plugs (NGK range 7), Walbro 255LPH FP, MBC (15 PSI), and custom built turbo utilizing the 13G housing (Internals: Hitachi compressor wheel, Mitsu 15G turbine lightly clipped).

1/4, 12.88 105.10 - 1/8, 8.09 85.96

New set up = Now w/UTEC and STI Injectors

1/4, ? - 1/8, ?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.