I just now realised how slow GTs are.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on I just now realised how slow GTs are. within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Last night my friend and I were rolling home from the local taco bell and we were confronted by a ...

I just now realised how slow GTs are.

Last night my friend and I were rolling home from the local taco bell and we were confronted by a 95ish mustang GT. He looked at me and flooded it once or twice but i ignored him for various reasons. (Limited to 7psi; Recent drag racing ticket) The GT then rolled ahead to my friend who was in his VR6 GTi. My friend took the challenge and from slow roll to about 100 he lost by about 1 car.

This is not so horrible seeing as his GTi is stock w/a chip on the way, and the stang had exhaust. The mustang rolls ahead after the race and throws the thumbs down to my friend once we were stoped at a traffic light. The stang owner then looked to me and said, "Why wouldn't you go?" I said, "I dont have the gas to waste on you." I then pulled away as the light was green.

About a mile up the road the mustang was back, and with a vengence. He rode 2 feet off my ass untill a space opened and he rolled up next to me and said, "Is that turbo?" I responded by blowing off. He lined up next to me at 45mph, still out to beat me...and i said screw it. I dropped from 4th to 2nd and simultaneously heard his exhaust roar.

Contrary to my previous assesment of the situation, i began walking away from him at an increasing rate. All the way up to around 120 where i was at least 5 cars ahead. Again, remember this is on half-boost, so i can only imagine what would happen if my car wasnt handicapped.

I think i found my new favorite runt to pick on...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

94-98 were weak stang years 99-present are the new modular 4.6's so anything else was pretty doggish for what it should be.
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

Re: I just now realised how slow GTs are.

Originally posted by CKxx
    (Limited to 7psi; Recent drag racing ticket)
    Why are you limited to 7 psi??
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex

Peter North > *

I have a 89 stang id be happy to have a friendly race with you
    Automatic WRX Test Dummy/Pioneer. 11 Second Auto Club.

89 != 94-98 stang.

88-93 stang =
    '04 PSM STi - modded (sr50+the works)
    '05 JGM RSX Type-S - stock

Registered User StoplightWarrior's Avatar
    Yep, stangs are slow, wanna race for $$??
    2003 SRT-4

Originally posted by RobPA
    I have a 89 stang id be happy to have a friendly race with you
    read the thread title....i bet yours isnt a GT.
    I created my avatar.

read the thread title....i bet yours isnt a GT.
    umm..that doesnt make any sense? He has an 89, right? Its either an LX with a 4banger (im sure its not) or its an LX with a 5.0...the only difference between the LX with the 5.0 and the GT are some exterior and other options. Its the same motor. Learn more about stangs before you bash them, otherwise you're gonna be in for a world of hurt against some of em! No cars out there are so easily and so often made fast than stangs. You can just as easily pull up next to a 11 sec one as a 14 sec one and they'll look identical.
    2003 SRT-4

Raccooon,

There is alot different about the LX 5.0, and a normal GT. The LX 5.0 notchback was one of the fast production models made by Ford. Its weight was a lot less than a normanl GT and had better gears. The late 88- early 90 mustanges (Vanilla ice style) had so much weight added on because of those "cool" ground effects. The may sound mean but there are all show and no go.
    Perrin short ram, Perrin Uppie, Perrin inlet hose, Perrin IC hoses, Cobb AP stage 2, MRT 3' turbo back, AMP boost controller @ 15.5psi, Freedom design front strut tower bar, Cuses Rear Strut tower Bar, KYB Adj Shocks, Eiback Springs, Perrin Rear sway bar, and links, 17' OZ Crono Evolution(17.5 lbs) W/ BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDW 2

Originally posted by jimi900
    Raccooon,

There is alot different about the LX 5.0, and a normal GT. The LX 5.0 notchback was one of the fast production models made by Ford. Its weight was a lot less than a normanl GT and had better gears. The late 88- early 90 mustanges (Vanilla ice style) had so much weight added on because of those "cool" ground effects. The may sound mean but there are all show and no go.
    lol, do you know who I am?!!!

Apparently not

I've been racing stangs my whole life, I know about them. While I have personally witnessed 13.9s out of LX's bone stock, its rare, and most are in the 14s. On the other side of the spectrum, though, while I've seen GT's in the 15s, most are in the mid-high 14s. Modded to modded, there may be a 3-5 tenth difference in the times of an LX to a GT, but its minimal in most cases. And modded GT's can still MOVE. Now if you're talking about 94-98 GT's they are much heavier and are tougher to make really fast (11's or quicker) but in the 87-93 models, LX, GT they're quick.
    2003 SRT-4

Originally posted by RaccoonRacing
    umm..that doesnt make any sense? He has an 89, right? Its either an LX with a 4banger (im sure its not) or its an LX with a 5.0
    Um, that makes perfect sense seeing as neither option you stated was a mustang GT.

Did you not notice the *wink* at the end? exactly.
    I created my avatar.

Um, that makes perfect sense seeing as neither option you stated was a mustang GT.

Did you not notice the *wink* at the end? exactly.
    lol, you're not getting it. There were 2 stang identifications among the 87-93 Mustangs, the LX and the GT the LX came with a 88hp 4 cylinder engine stock, with the option for the 5.0. The GT was the higher end model, and had a 5.0 stock.

So unless you're specifically referring to the 94-98 GTs, which were dogs in stock-ish form, I'm not sure what you're talking about.
    2003 SRT-4

why 7 psi????
    03 wrb WRX sedan
    Crawford Performance S2 2.5L Block
    --- Tuned by I-SPEED

Tons of other toys.....

Originally posted by RaccoonRacing
    lol, you're not getting it. There were 2 stang identifications among the 87-93 Mustangs, the LX and the GT the LX came with a 88hp 4 cylinder engine stock, with the option for the 5.0. The GT was the higher end model, and had a 5.0 stock.

So unless you're specifically referring to the 94-98 GTs, which were dogs in stock-ish form, I'm not sure what you're talking about.
    my first car was a 93 LX with the 4 in it and dame was it slow but and 87-93 stang is fast and can be faster

just like with any car you have to know the right mods to do for that car. personally there is 1 single mustang in my area that is faster then me. he has the right stuff done including a paxton charger and he runs high 11's - low 12's. other then that i have never been beat by any mustang in my area. they all want to slap a strait pipe on, a B&M shifter and a huge cowl hood and then think it is a drag machine. at least that is my area. one i get up to indianapolis i think twice before messing with stang's expecially on the highway!!

and btw i owned a 95 GT 5 speed for abotu 4 years before my wrx. and my best run was a 13.5.
    2002 Silver WRX with:

TurboXS MBC @ 15.5, Kartboy Short Shifter, Kartboy Shift Bushings, Godspeed Uppipe, Custom 3" Turboback Exhaust with 4" Bellmouth and Flowmaster Muffler, Eibach Springs, Diablo C9 18" Rims, Wings West body Kit and Wing

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast