I just now realised how slow GTs are. - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on I just now realised how slow GTs are. within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; We need to start a "Mustang" only forum on this site because we talk about them so much To clear ...

We need to start a "Mustang" only forum on this site because we talk about them so much To clear up a few things...

The "modular" 4.6 2 valve and 4 valve (Cobra) 'stangs were introduced in 1996. The SN95 bodystyle was introduced in 1994. Someone spoke of the '99 being the "new" modular 4.6..well it is a 4.6 but now new. The only difference is that the '99 and on finally have performance to match that of the old 4.9 liter 302 found in the '87-'93 fox bodies which lead me to...

The GT that was sold between '87-'93 had the bodywork for a reason. Sure it was a little slower in the quarter from the added weight, but the sideskirts and air dams helped top end. I have an old issue of car and driver in which they test the "new" '87 GT against an IROC. The GT hit 150 MPH in 1987...the same top end as a corvette..impressive..the LX wa able to touch 140 2 or 3 issues later...

An '87-'93 LX was offered as a 5.0, not just as a 4 banger. The other mustang guys are very right about the LX notchback..a 13.9 was possible on a perfect day and low 14's happened ALL THE TIME..very fast car for the money.... and modded..

Motor trend used to (might still) have a contest every year for best bang for the buck...the mustang won that contest many, many times. There is a lot to be said for a mustang that is positive..I hate that people bash on them so much..they are damn fine cars for the money and better still if you can locate a nice fox body with a not very tired motor...they are very fun cars..
    -Colin

'03 Blue Meanie Rex
    '88 Isuzu I-Mark RS Turbo
    '83 Porsche 944
    '79 Datsun 280ZX the "Skittle"
    '77 Datsun 280Z
    '72 Datsun 240Z Blue 'not so" Meanie

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by bigchris
    just like with any car you have to know the right mods to do for that car. personally there is 1 single mustang in my area that is faster then me. he has the right stuff done including a paxton charger and he runs high 11's - low 12's. other then that i have never been beat by any mustang in my area. they all want to slap a strait pipe on, a B&M shifter and a huge cowl hood and then think it is a drag machine. at least that is my area. one i get up to indianapolis i think twice before messing with stang's expecially on the highway!!

and btw i owned a 95 GT 5 speed for abotu 4 years before my wrx. and my best run was a 13.5.
    Man, when you come to Indy, you should let me know..I'd love to get a ride in a modded Rex. My buddy has one, but its stock..and another buddy has a '97 M3 with Intake and Exhaust, might splurge for the performance chip soon. So there are some good import car entusiasts around that aren't brand loyal nazis I'd love to see your ride in action, been wanting to see how that boost controller helps the Rex. PM me if you want...Late
    2005 NBP Accord EX-V6 6MT
    AEM CAI, HFP aerokit, Comptech SS
    17" Enkei RS7s on YokoES100 tires

Originally posted by RaccoonRacing
    lol, you're not getting it. There were 2 stang identifications among the 87-93 Mustangs, the LX and the GT the LX came with a 88hp 4 cylinder engine stock, with the option for the 5.0. The GT was the higher end model, and had a 5.0 stock.

So unless you're specifically referring to the 94-98 GTs, which were dogs in stock-ish form, I'm not sure what you're talking about.
    Ok, im sorry, i didnt see that. The whole point was i was kidding w/you because im sure you have a sick mustang.
    I created my avatar.

whhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy 7 psi
    03 wrb WRX sedan
    Crawford Performance S2 2.5L Block
    --- Tuned by I-SPEED

Tons of other toys.....

Originally posted by Blue Away
    whhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy 7 psi
    Running at factory WG spring pressure because i have no boost controller. It comes in today.
    I created my avatar.

Originally posted by RaccoonRacing
    lol, do you know who I am?!!!

Apparently not

One question?

If you are such a BIG stang driver and racer, why are you posting poopie on the WRX forums?

Everytime I see your post, you are always putting someone down or in there place about mustangs.

No disrepect meant here, but all stangs drivers a-holes like you?

I hope not.
    Stage IV+
    Going for 11's

Originally posted by Shabba
    We need to start a "Mustang" only forum on this site because we talk about them so much To clear up a few things...

The "modular" 4.6 2 valve and 4 valve (Cobra) 'stangs were introduced in 1996. The SN95 bodystyle was introduced in 1994. Someone spoke of the '99 being the "new" modular 4.6..well it is a 4.6 but now new. The only difference is that the '99 and on finally have performance to match that of the old 4.9 liter 302 found in the '87-'93 fox bodies which lead me to...

The GT that was sold between '87-'93 had the bodywork for a reason. Sure it was a little slower in the quarter from the added weight, but the sideskirts and air dams helped top end. I have an old issue of car and driver in which they test the "new" '87 GT against an IROC. The GT hit 150 MPH in 1987...the same top end as a corvette..impressive..the LX wa able to touch 140 2 or 3 issues later...

An '87-'93 LX was offered as a 5.0, not just as a 4 banger. The other mustang guys are very right about the LX notchback..a 13.9 was possible on a perfect day and low 14's happened ALL THE TIME..very fast car for the money.... and modded..

Motor trend used to (might still) have a contest every year for best bang for the buck...the mustang won that contest many, many times. There is a lot to be said for a mustang that is positive..I hate that people bash on them so much..they are damn fine cars for the money and better still if you can locate a nice fox body with a not very tired motor...they are very fun cars..
    the LX 5.0's were called the LX5.0 no just an LX, but the GT mustang has been around since the 60's. They aren't limited to the fox styles. Yes the 99 and up is a little different motor then the 96-98. the sn95's as stated were the last 2 years of the pushrod 5.0. the head was the biggest downfall in the 96-98 4.6mod motore. u change the head and ur good to go.
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

Registered User StoplightWarrior's Avatar
    Originally posted by CKxx
    Ok, im sorry, i didnt see that. The whole point was i was kidding w/you because im sure you have a sick mustang.
    no prob. It's EXTREMELY sick...

...when its not in the shop

lol, damn Fords
    2003 SRT-4

Originally posted by skullguy
    One question?

If you are such a BIG stang driver and racer, why are you posting poopie on the WRX forums?

Everytime I see your post, you are always putting someone down or in there place about mustangs.

I hope not.
    lol, I dont believe I've come off that way. When people don't know whats what with stangs, I set them straight. Stangs are what I have experience with, they're what I know about. I came to this forum because I hope to be getting a WRX soon as a daily driver. No need for jealousy.
    2003 SRT-4

ummm...Im not real bright, but that sounds pretty disrespectful. Insane to define a person by what they drive. Absolutely pathetic if that is how one defines his or her self.
    -Ray

Originally posted by CustomS10
    the LX 5.0's were called the LX5.0 no just an LX, but the GT mustang has been around since the 60's. They aren't limited to the fox styles. Yes the 99 and up is a little different motor then the 96-98. the sn95's as stated were the last 2 years of the pushrod 5.0. the head was the biggest downfall in the 96-98 4.6mod motore. u change the head and ur good to go.
    Well yes the GT has been around since 1965, but I am speaking of the modern car, the '79 and on fox body and more specifically, the '87-'93. As far as the LX goes, I was merely stating that the LX was not only a 4 banger but was offered as a 5.0 as well. I remember when the '96 2 valve came out and the reception it received (not so great)..some buddies of mine told me the same thing..change the heads and look out..they were so damn right..
    -Colin

'03 Blue Meanie Rex
    '88 Isuzu I-Mark RS Turbo
    '83 Porsche 944
    '79 Datsun 280ZX the "Skittle"
    '77 Datsun 280Z
    '72 Datsun 240Z Blue 'not so" Meanie

Mustangs: Big Pistons, Big Motor, Big Tires, Big gas guzzler...

B O R I N G
    03 wrb WRX sedan
    Crawford Performance S2 2.5L Block
    --- Tuned by I-SPEED

Tons of other toys.....

I got a peppy 5.0LX. It is veeerry easy to make 5.0 Stangs very very fast (in a straight line) with very very little money. My current 5.0LX is below...

03 Evo 8
    02 WRX
    00 Civic SI
    89 5.0LX

And I don't do searches!

You forgot (potentially) Big Horsepower

Originally posted by Blue Away

B O R I N G
    You are certainly entitled to your opinion. And when stock, mustangs are kinda boring. However, when you take a stang and throw some aftermarket parts at it, you can end up with a very fun car. Trust me.
    2003 SRT-4

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast