WRX (easy launch) vs RSX - is this right?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX (easy launch) vs RSX - is this right? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Driving down a nice 3-lane divided street with plenty of well-spaced stoplights, I was passed by a quick-moving Acura RSX ...

WRX (easy launch) vs RSX - is this right?

Driving down a nice 3-lane divided street with plenty of well-spaced stoplights, I was passed by a quick-moving Acura RSX base model. 160hp, not much of a threat I figured. I sped up a bit hoping to catch him at the next light, which I did. So there we sat, side by side, staged and ready to go. I rarely launch my car (mechanical sympathy, and I feel a bit obnoxious revving at a light with my straight-through muffler), and since this was a lowly RSX, I figured a quick slip at 2000 rpm should do the trick. Light turns green, and the RSX rockets away with a couple of quick chirps of the front tires - a nice little FWD launch. Well, in that agonizing time between 2000-3000 rpm, he gained a car length on me before I started to reel him in. By the end of 1st gear I was 1 car length ahead. Quick shift to 2nd, he wasn't giving up! At the end of 2nd, I was about 2 1/2 car lengths ahead and shut down - he continued for a bit and flew by me.

Yeah, I won the race but I though I would blow him away a bit more than I did My shift to 2nd was good, BTW.

I've got a WRX wagon with AccessECU stage 1 reflash and a muffler, otherwise stock. Should the race have been that close taking in to account my wimpy launch? I figured that with 160hp vs 260hp, I could get away with it. Or maybe I should just be happy with the fact that I made up 3 1/2 car lengths from 15-60mph.

Lesson: beware the soft launch!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Ike
    What makes you so sure it was a base model?

There was no "S" after the "RSX", and it had stock silver wheels. Unless somebody went to alot of trouble to disguise it, it was a base model! Plus, I think an RSX-S race would have been a lot closer - from what I've read, these cars can hang with a WRX from a roll.

I bet you it was debaged. You also took off at 2k rpm's. You should never do that in ANY race.

EDIT: 1600th post! Yes I am a w h o r e!
    03 Cobra
    566whp/515wtq

Pics
    & Dyno
    Pics

I did the same thing (2k rpm launch) against a civic ex with 3 in exhaust and took him by 3 cars lengths after 1.5 blocks and shut down. Was disappointed that the distance wasn't farther

Bwahahahhahaahah!

You bit the bait! I just sold my Type S that was debadged and just with a CAI I was giving a good amount of cars that thought they would take me easily a good run 1st - 2nd. From a roll slightly modded WRXes weren't that far ahead. From a stop though you should have taken it unless it had drag radials and some kind of shot.
    Last edited by scoolbuzz; 07-15-2003 at 07:22 PM.

I staged a race with my friend's type s the other night. It was my first time really launching the car so naturally I bogged it. I was still able to pull about two car lengths on him up to about 70 or 80 when we shut down. He has intake and exhaust, and I'm completely stock. BTW I also had a friend in the car.
    '04 WRB WRX Sedan

good run... next time, use that AWD!
    '05 CGM Subaru Impreza WRX Mods
    '02 WRB Subaru Impreza WRX (sold)
    '94 Subaru Legacy Wagon L (daily)
    '90 Toyota Supra Turbo

Base's aren't that much slower than Type S's through the first few thousand rpms...by about 4K-5K, that's when the Type S will start pulling on a Base, so this easily could have been a BAse.

C'mon, you lauch like that, what do you expect Now you made some Base owner think that his car is fast

Anyway, if you pulled up to him from behind, then there are two other things you should look at:
    1. stock exhausts are different from Type S to Base
    2. Base has black colored lower body panels whereas Type S's are color matched.

I'd love to run a stock or nearly stock WRX to see how I fare now. I don't see too many around here...my buddy has one, he's let me take it for a drive and I really enjoyed it. But he's not down to race really.
    2005 NBP Accord EX-V6 6MT
    AEM CAI, HFP aerokit, Comptech SS
    17" Enkei RS7s on YokoES100 tires

Yeah, I guess I'll have to launch a little harder if I'm only going to race to the end of 2nd gear (my self-imposed in-town limit). Even a 100hp advantage can only do so much in the 6 seconds or so it takes to get to the end of 2nd. I'm sure if we'd gone to the end of 3rd, I would have pulled out a gap of many more car lengths. Next time!

I remember racing a newer Mustang GT in my old 2.5RS once, and he had me by 2-3 car lengths at the end of 2nd too, and that's the same 100hp difference as in my WRX/RSX race, so I guess it all makes sense. My WRX feels like such a beast rowing through the gears to redline that I somehow think it'll just destroy most cars on the road, leaving them smouldering miles behind in my fiery wake. I guess real life's not like that

Smokey - I've yet to line up next to an RSX-S, but after browsing the ClubRSX forums, I see some mildly modified ones trapping at almost 100mph in the 1/4 mile, so I'm gonna make damn sure I get a good launch when that encounter happens

Originally posted by CarloH

Smokey - I've yet to line up next to an RSX-S, but after browsing the ClubRSX forums, I see some mildly modified ones trapping at almost 100mph in the 1/4 mile, so I'm gonna make damn sure I get a good launch when that encounter happens
    With your mods and your AWD advantage, I'd think it would take a pretty "heavily" modded RSX-S to take you from a dig. From a roll, that might be another story, but I still think it would take a fairly modded out Type S to beat you.

I'm talking ITR cams, ITR springs, ITR manifold and K20A reflash...that would be in your league, but I still think you'd have the edge from a dig.

WE are getting tons more aftermarket support and there are a lot of options out there, but the Rex is still 10X easier to make fast vs. the RSX-S, plus you don't have to worry about the FWD traction issues that we do once the power gets out of hand. Like these guys that are getting the 450hp Cybernation turbo kits - they will have so much trouble hooking up, I'm still thinking they're going to hit low 13s, high 12s. I guess we'll just have to wait and see!
    2005 NBP Accord EX-V6 6MT
    AEM CAI, HFP aerokit, Comptech SS
    17" Enkei RS7s on YokoES100 tires

"My WRX feels like such a beast rowing through the gears to redline that I somehow think it'll just destroy most cars on the road, leaving them smouldering miles behind in my fiery wake. I guess real life's not like that"

I had a similar expierence with a new Accord coupe(240 hp but I'm sure it was an auto). I wasn't sure if he would go so I just took off normally and he hit it. I was about 1 car behind him and by the end of second, I was only 1.5 cars ahead(roughly). I was PPP st2 without the reflash at the time.

J
    Electronic music??? www.the1050mix.com

I raced an RSX Type S from a stop. I launched at about 5000rpms and put a car length on him in first gear. We basically stayed at that distance apart from each other all the way up to 120mph. Neither of us gained any ground. He said he had a CAI. My car only had about 1100 miles on it when I raced him, though and I also have the disadvantage of heavy 22lb CT 17" wheels (not sure how much of a difference heavy wheels make). I, too, was surprised at how well the RSX-S held on.

He also had a debadged car but we talked before we raced and he told me it was an RSX-S with a CAI. Was kind of funny the way the race happened. I was at a stoplight and pulled up next to me and signaled me to roll down my window. He very politely asked me if I'd race him on the service road about a mile away. After I acknowledged and said "yes" he was like, "Thanks! I've never had a chance to race a WRX before." Was just funny how polite he was. Cool driver.
    Last edited by 03WRX; 07-16-2003 at 11:34 AM.
    2012 Black WRX Premium
    2003 wrb WRX - Cobb Stage 2

is letting the clutch out at 2k really considered a "launch"?

Originally posted by Chunks
    is letting the clutch out at 2k really considered a "launch"?
    I was thinking the same thing. I usually get almost that high when i take off from a stop under normal driving circumstances, just to keep the thing from bogging REALLY bad. If i'm driving in my "spirited sunday afternoon" style (i don't usually race on the street, only had 2 runs so far, my boss(in his Caddy DeVille, who had a real surprised look on his face when his 2 carlengths from the light when he caught me off guard turned into taillights by the time i hit 2nd gear), and some mullethead in an old IROC. The Blue Bean is 2-0), i usually let the clutch go from 3000-3500rpm. I haven't had the guts to really launch it hard, i haven't had it long enough to bring myself to abuse it like that(yet).
    '04 WRB Wagon
    K&N Panel Filter, Snorkusectomy
    Still to Come: many many things (waiting for the post-graduation cashflow to start) EDIT: Still Waiting for the money to start coming in......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast