Vortech Truck
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Vortech Truck within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I am terrible with trucks. Pretty sure it was a Chevy. It said SS on the back and he had ...

Vortech Truck

I am terrible with trucks. Pretty sure it was a Chevy. It said SS on the back and he had a Vortech blower (I though my car was loud!) and gauges galore that lit up the cockpit like a Quick Mart. I see him racing through traffic and patiently wait for my turn

First we line up at a three lane stop light. Left lane: neon green Neon with fart can and Mopar stickers. Moi in the middle and the red Chevy on my right. As the light is about to turn green the truck brings up the revs and I follow suit. I get a perfect 4k launch as I hear the truck fight for traction. I immediatley put two cars on him and was slowly pulling when I shut down. Don't know what happened to the Neon?

To be fair I lead him to a two lane highway, I am in the right lane and he takes the left. We do a few 60-100 races and I had him by about 2+ cars every time. Finally he gave up and turned around. The best thing of all? He had his girlfriend with him!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Re-Addicted to WRX tacomaboy138's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX

Trucks...

Trucks don't stand a chance against real cars.... I used to eat ricer civics with my old Tacoma on 32" tires off the line but anywhere after 40 mph a truck will lost b/c the transmission is simply not built to squeeze top-end power to the wheels, therefore no top speed. But good kill never the less...the girlfriend is funny.
    2011 SWP WRX 4D
    07 MINI Cooper S... SOLD!
    03 WRX Wagon... SOLD!
    98 Toyota Tacoma...SOLD!

Jeremy Clarkson has my dream job.

Displacement with forced induction, even in truck form, can be a beast at least up to 100. Nice run.
    '07 STI UGM: Protuned Cobb DP, Walbro, Prodrive BCS; Cobb heat shield; extra stock rims with Hankook iPike W409's; Subaru hitch mount; a Limited roof and wing
    '02 WRX PS: quick & trouble free but sold with 110K miles
    mods

i guess i'm the resident truck guy now, could've been an early 90s 454ss not bad or it could've been a 4.3L ss with a blower on it. my guess is the 454ss of the early 90s
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

Re: Trucks...

Originally posted by tacomaboy138
    Trucks don't stand a chance against real cars.... I used to eat ricer civics with my old Tacoma on 32" tires off the line but anywhere after 40 mph a truck will lost b/c the transmission is simply not built to squeeze top-end power to the wheels, therefore no top speed. But good kill never the less...the girlfriend is funny.
    Not true. A Ford Lightning, or a GMC Cyclone/Typhoon can put a whooping on most cars. If modded, WATCH OUT.

Have to agree with the above poster. A Ford Lightning can easily be made to run 11's. There are also plenty of Syclones and Typhoons that can run with the big dogs. As the former owner of both, I can say that I surprised many people with my 12.01 mildly modified S15 blazer (Typhoon). The Syclones could be made to run 12.4's and 12.5's with ~$500 in mods. That's hardly a slow truck.

Originally posted by Typhoon
    I can say that I surprised many people with my 12.01 mildly modified S15 blazer (Typhoon). The Syclones could be made to run 12.4's and 12.5's with ~$500 in mods. That's hardly a slow truck.
    Now tell me, you think those trucks had a disadvantage?

I guess...

I think that when I posted about trucks losing to REAL cars I was thinking more along the lines of regular truck lines (F-150, Tundra, 1500) as opposed to the ones that are made to go fast (Typhoon, Lightning). So generally speaking trucks are not really meant to have a top-end (unless they are blown). They are meant to be torque-happy in order haul things and carry large payloads. These are the trucks I was referring to.
    2011 SWP WRX 4D
    03 WRX Wagon... SOLD!
    98 Toyota Tacoma...SOLD!

Re: I guess...

I think that when I posted about trucks losing to REAL cars I was thinking more along the lines of regular truck lines (F-150, Tundra, 1500) as opposed to the ones that are made to go fast (Typhoon, Lightning). So generally speaking trucks are not really meant to have a top-end (unless they are blown). They are meant to be torque-happy in order haul things and carry large payloads. These are the trucks I was referring to.
    f150 or 1500 or the HEMI ram can be made to crap over cars. 300hp or so in the motor the 5.4 from ford, the larger v8 from chevy, and the hemi from dodge. now most are up to 350ish but 300 is safe guess. anyways bolt ons here and there and u just got smoked by a truck. it's not that trucks are slow it's they are heavy. all solid steel not anything else. we all know v8's take mods better then anything else. hell u can put an ls1 in an s10 and run a low 14 to high mid 13 depending on traction <--
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

Re: Re: I guess...

Originally posted by CustomS10
    f150 or 1500 or the HEMI ram can be made to crap over cars. 300hp or so in the motor the 5.4 from ford, the larger v8 from chevy, and the hemi from dodge. now most are up to 350ish but 300 is safe guess. anyways bolt ons here and there and u just got smoked by a truck. it's not that trucks are slow it's they are heavy. all solid steel not anything else. we all know v8's take mods better then anything else. hell u can put an ls1 in an s10 and run a low 14 to high mid 13 depending on traction <--
    The weight and the engine are not what makes a truck slow. The gearing is what makes them slow. They are geared for pulling, not for speed. You need a lot of low end torque to pull. So the trucks are geared to pull with low end torque, but don't really have any high end power.

Re: Re: Re: I guess...

Originally posted by 2001S4
    The weight and the engine are not what makes a truck slow. The gearing is what makes them slow. They are geared for pulling, not for speed. You need a lot of low end torque to pull. So the trucks are geared to pull with low end torque, but don't really have any high end power.
    a hemi with say 325hp and 400ftlbs of torque and 373 won't get up and go. u can get a new f150 with the 5.4 engine and 4.10 LSD. that will rip
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

The gearing is what makes them slow. They are geared for pulling, not for speed. You need a lot of low end torque to pull. So the trucks are geared to pull with low end torque, but don't really have any high end power.
    Thankyou...that is what I was trying to say... I guess I just wasn't putting it right.
    2011 SWP WRX 4D
    03 WRX Wagon... SOLD!
    98 Toyota Tacoma...SOLD!

Watch out for the new Silverado SS. 345 horse and AWD means a fairly decent launch ability. Still pretty heavy though.
    Creeping up on creeping for a decade.
    Bugeye Mafia V2 #322

Okay...here is what I REALLY meant to say...If one has an two engines with identical horses and torque mated to separate trannys (i.e. one on a car, the other on a truck)...The truck will lose the race b/c it will be geared for the low-end pull rather than the high end pull. Therefore, one might pose that trucks might be good for the 0-45 accel but after that they are toast...sorry for leaving out details like these in my first post.
    2011 SWP WRX 4D
    03 WRX Wagon... SOLD!
    98 Toyota Tacoma...SOLD!

Okay...here is what I REALLY meant to say...If one has an two engines with identical horses and torque mated to separate trannys (i.e. one on a car, the other on a truck)...The truck will lose the race b/c it will be geared for the low-end pull rather than the high end pull. Therefore, one might pose that trucks might be good for the 0-45 accel but after that they are toast...sorry for leaving out details like these in my first post.
    You are still implying that all trucks have low gearing. Not ALL trucks do, most might, but not all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast