Stage II WRX vs stock Camaro SS LS1
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Stage II WRX vs stock Camaro SS LS1 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; My boss has a 2001 Camaro SS, automatic. It's totally stock, and he won't even let me talk him into ...

Stage II WRX vs stock Camaro SS LS1

My boss has a 2001 Camaro SS, automatic. It's totally stock, and he won't even let me talk him into getting an airlid for it. He knows I've modified my WRX a bit, but he doesn't know too much about them. He always half kids me about racing sometime, "if I think I can handle it". As he is my sales manager, I'm not going to make it a point to try to show him up. He does authorize my commission after all.

He had treated our small sales office to lunch at Lone Star, and on our way back, he and I end up at a stoplight next to each other with our windows down. I wanted to race, but didn't want to appear disrespectful or immature. So, looking off in the distance, I could see dark clouds in the distance. I asked him if he thought it would rain yet today. He said no, probably not... Then he asked, "So, is that thing pretty good off the line?" To which I replied, "Yeah, it's not too bad..." I figure that's a clear indication that he's gonna go for it too.

As the light for cross traffic turns yellow, I threw a rev to let him know that he's gonna find out just how quick it is, and then I bring the rpms up to a steady 3500 rpm in anticipation of the upcoming green. No cross traffic running the lights, no cops around, just two lanes open for a long stretch in front of us.

Light changed, and I floored it and slipped the clutch, launching fairly well. At the same instant, he launched from idle, and I heard his tires mildly squealing. Through first gear, I jumped out to a 3 car lead on him, hearing his tires the entire time. As I shifted to second, he gained a carlength back on me and is only about 2 lengths behind me. Through 2nd, I pulled another 1/2 car length, and shifted to third about 2-3 cars in front. As we approached 70 mph, he was just starting to show signs of potentially reeling me in, and we were approaching a truck in his lane. Time to hit the brakes and back off.

We got back to the office, and both had a good laugh. He felt that I took advantage by "revving up my car" and that he lost out a bit due to squealing his tires. "Well, duh", I thought to myself. I told him he would've likely passed me by the time we hit 100 anyway, but that there wasn't a good place to do that around our office.

I guess I'll find out next Friday if my commission check is a bit lighter than usual, and if the missing money ends up going to a few small modifications to his SS...

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Race him in your Firehawk!

The Hawk is down with a blown headgasket right now, but I should have it up and running again by the end of July. The boss knows what the Hawk is capable of, and doesn't want any part of it...

wow that sounds like a good time. it is nice that your boss is that cool about stuff like that. how much closer would it have been if he were a 6 speed? there are several 6 speeds around my area and i normally try to avoid them ahhahh
    2002 Silver WRX with:

TurboXS MBC @ 15.5, Kartboy Short Shifter, Kartboy Shift Bushings, Godspeed Uppipe, Custom 3" Turboback Exhaust with 4" Bellmouth and Flowmaster Muffler, Eibach Springs, Diablo C9 18" Rims, Wings West body Kit and Wing

Good race.
    I posted many times before about beating LS1's with my 02 WRX when it had a Turboxs stage 2 setup. One day at Brandenton Motorpark I beat 4 different LS1s in the 1/4 mile. My best time of the day was 13.3 @ 100mph.

I also used to tear them up at our local 1/8 mile. Every Friday night I would beat several of them with my stage 2 setup. These races were to 80mph or so. (as you already know).

As you know its all about the launch. A well launched WRX will get a good jump off the line. Then you need to hold it until the end of the race. The LS1 will definately catch and pass you if the race goes long enough. But you can definately beat one up to 100mph or so with a good launch.

Just remember if you have a rematch. Drop the hammer at 4k+ and get that 2-3 car jump off the line you will need to win.

sgoswrx, or anybody?
    Did you run an additional boost controller with you txs stage two? If so why? I don't get it. I thought the txs 2 had a boost controller in it? Let me know when you can G.

Damn good story man. Maybe now he'll consider getting a lid a little more. I guess he's worried about warranty?
    Anyway, good kill.
    2000 LS1 Camaro M6

Thumbs up

Great Kill Dan. Preserving the clutch and still whoopin folks .
    Team Mullet Racing
    2004 White Evolution VIII - Wingless and Altezzaless
    www.forgivendriven.com

SOLD - Stage 4 WRX Wagon - 12.7 at 106mph - SOLD

Originally posted by scoob
    sgoswrx, or anybody?
    Did you run an additional boost controller with you txs stage two? If so why? I don't get it. I thought the txs 2 had a boost controller in it? Let me know when you can G.

Yes, I ran turboxs's high performance boost controller $129 with my stage 2 setup. The reason for this is because it works much better than the abc bleeder valve boost controller that comes with the kit.
    I shaved a good .3 tenths off my 1/4 mile time by switching to their high performance boost controller. It allows for more boost in 1st gear, and it also allows the boos to come on much harder and faster. It really does make a big difference in performance.

Hey Dan, I know the power of ls1's, but if It was a bone stock automatic he would not have reeled you back in. You can pull on them from a 45 roll and then hold them off. If it was a 6spd then it would have reeled you back in very quickly.

Originally posted by SGOSWRX
    Yes, I ran turboxs's high performance boost controller $129 with my stage 2 setup. The reason for this is because it works much better than the abc bleeder valve boost controller that comes with the kit.
    I shaved a good .3 tenths off my 1/4 mile time by switching to their high performance boost controller. It allows for more boost in 1st gear, and it also allows the boos to come on much harder and faster. It really does make a big difference in performance.
    So what did you set you boost at? I am thinking about doing the same this you did and need to know the best way to do it. Using another boostcontroller is news to me but I see your point. Let me know what you know hommie!

I thought the utec used the factory b/c to help boost power. So I guess it doesn't? That kind of sucks because I believe Cobb tunings Accessecu does. What's up with that? What happens to the connection between the ecu and the b/c with the utec on it's back?

UTEC isn't the same as a unichip. A boost controller is used in conjunction with a unichip. I'd been using the simple ABC bleed controller that came from TXS until SGOS recommended trying a different one. I bought the TXS HPBC and was rewarded with better performance in 1st and 2nd gear. I got a great deal on a used AVC-R electronic boost controller that hadn't been installed yet, and am using that now. Being able to adjust the boost in the cabin and being able to see and store your max boost readings is rather nice. It also saves max rpm, max speed, and some other nifty settings. I've confirmed that my revlimiter is at 7200 rpm for example...

Originally posted by scoob
    So what did you set you boost at? I am thinking about doing the same this you did and need to know the best way to do it. Using another boostcontroller is news to me but I see your point. Let me know what you know hommie!

The sweet spot seems to be around 16.5 psi boost.
    It's very easy to setup your car with turboxs high performance boost controller. I ran their boost controlller on my WRX for 2 years without any problems. I used it on my basically stock WRX. I continued to use is with my stage 2 Setup and my Stage 4 setup. There are numerous installation instructions floating around. On a scale of difficulty - its very easy.

When you get your boost controller, it will be turned all the way down. Just take your car for a drive and slowly turn up the boost until you get the desired amount. It comes with an wrench to adjust boost up and down, just like the abc boost controller.

So 16.5 is reliable for a completely stock rex? If so cool and thanks buddy!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.