Rice-bys and races: kills and tie

This is a discussion on Rice-bys and races: kills and tie within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; The last two days I have been traveling back and forth across the southeast. Got a couple of stories from ...

Rice-bys and races: kills and tie

The last two days I have been traveling back and forth across the southeast. Got a couple of stories from it all and one from before.

The night before I left, I was out in my STi and came to a light where a C5 (non-Z06) had popped into the front of the lane, right in front of me. I'd seen him race someone before so was hoping he'd take off... When the light changed, he got to about a 5 mph roll then nailed it. I nailed it too...and kept up with him. The only distance he got on me was between when he nailed it and I nailed it. We shut down at about 70 mph. I still can't believe I was able to keep up with a Corvette...and yes, I fully expect lots of "oh, he must have been a bad driver, meaning you can't be all that good either" comments but will dismiss them readily.

Then on I-65 to I-20, I had several rice-bys. The first was a Prelude. He got up next to me and wouldn't look at me, then slowly passed. As soon as my signal came on to exit 65 to 20, he started revving up like some angry little bee. What a wuss. The next one was something like a Civic with hideous tail lights and a fart can. I was in the right lane and he was in the left. He came up on me, hung back for a minute, then just blew by and never looked back. Pansy.

While in Florence, SC, I saw a blue 2002-2003 model WRX with exhaust work and BOV...turned around to go check it out. Never caught it but on the way, a stock 4-door Accord revved up at me and tried to race. So, I took him up on it...I gave him a car length before I touched the gas pedal (from a 60 mph roll). The 4th-5th gear combo was way too much for the much lower powered Accord. I blasted by him like he wasn't moving, then shut it down. When he kept going straight on the road, he honked and gave a big thumbs up.

The next one was a friend's Grand Am with fart can. We lined up at a light on a long, straight highway with no traffic. He revved up, I didn't. Light changed, so I gave him a full car length before I started. Before 60 mph, I passed him like he wasn't moving.

On the whole, the trip was a lot of fun, minus the detonation issue at the end. Other cars I wanted to at least have a quick go at but they were unwilling (350Z, Corvette, Mustangs).

RN

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

And tested STi for detonation this morning (test came up negative)...during testing, came up to a light. A Saab turbo yanked out from behind me to line up with me. Last time I looked back, before I had to turn, I had, seriously, about a quarter mile on him. STi owns the Saab.

RN

Add one thoroughly owned new Celica GTS. And some stupid Firebird revving it up and shooting to 65 in a 45 zone in front of 3 cops...

RN

I Support ClubWRX
    That sounds like fun - cruising around and whooping cars in your STi. Ahh, I need some time off. Oh, and $30k to buy an STi. Nice kills.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

Originally posted by Integra96
    That sounds like fun - cruising around and whooping cars in your STi. Ahh, I need some time off. Oh, and $30k to buy an STi. Nice kills.
    Thanks. The list grows quickly on weekends, apparently.

RN

Originally posted by renichms
    STi owns the Saab.

RN
    Until the "9-2" comes out

Originally posted by Integra96
    Where in AZ do you live?
    293.2 hp to the ground
    267 lb/ft torque to the ground
    VF-30 Setup

Originally posted by eVilsAint
    Until the "9-2" comes out
    So Saab is making a car with AWD and over 300 hp?

And add Monte Carlo SS, a few Jeeps and Hondas...don't keep good track of those.

RN