(Mostly) Stock WRX vs. Jetta GLI
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on (Mostly) Stock WRX vs. Jetta GLI within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Okay, so the GLI is my other car and my wife was driving it, but still... Over the last couple ...

(Mostly) Stock WRX vs. Jetta GLI

Okay, so the GLI is my other car and my wife was driving it, but still...

Over the last couple of weeks my wife and I have both had to drive to the same place in different cars a few times. When we do so I usually take the rex and try to make a game of it - race her on the on ramps, lose her in the corners, etc. I always dust her, but she promptly tells me she 'wasn't trying.' I believe her because with 200hp I think the GLI should sorta hang in there.

Anyhow, we were driving home last night and ended up next to each other at a stop light - each in our own left turn lane. I gunned the rex as we turned and quickly pulled about 4 car lengths on her. I could tell by the way she was shifting that she was trying to keep up.

I ended up as the first car at the next light and she pulled in right behind me. I checked the rearview and saw her flash me a look. I could tell she was going to make sure I didn't lose her again.

When the light turned green I pulled forward with no launch. I punched it in first at about 10mph and had at least 5 car lengths by the shift to second. When we got home my wife admitted that she was trying to keep up and that she had anticipated the punch.

So here's my question - With 200hp, less drivetrain power loss, and a race from a roll, shouldn't a GLI be able to make an interesting race for a stock rex? In other words, is it the car or is it the driver?

My wife will be interested to hear what you have to say - she's a good sport and it's all in good fun. She even wants me to mod the rex.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

sorry no data for you but...

can you introduce your wife to mine?

cool chit...
    -tp

How much does the GLI weigh? My stock WRX weighed just over 3100lbs.
    2002 WRX 352whp & 341ft-lbs *SOLD*
    12.5@109
    2004 SRT4 449whp & 457ft-lbs
    11.6@125

Teep - Since you're clear across the country in MA I'll have to have her give your wife a call

Silverscooby - As for the weight, VW lists the GLI at 3179 (pretty heavy since the VW lacks AWD). So if the rex weighs in at just over 3100 the cars, with drivers (I weigh more than my wife), should be about dead even in the weight department.

side note - 353 WHP - I'm impressed!

tan
    it's the car, and the nature of a naturally aspirated 24V VR6 powerband.

The 1.8T is just as fast, despite having 20 less horspower (pop a chip, and it will have 25 more horses than the 24V VR6)
    Last edited by tan; 07-14-2003 at 05:22 AM.

Teep, where in Northshore, MASS? I don't drive a WRX, but I'm always watching out for them because I almost bought one. That and I don't wanna get caught unaware!

I'm in Salem, BTW

Glahstah! (Bay View actually )

Big bro in law lives in Salem... Gallows Hill area!

Oi, sorry to hijak, so here's an on topic question.

Tan, you said "pop a chip" do you mean just a reflash or different chip altogether?
    I'm not too familiar w/the VW mod paths.

-tp

Originally posted by Teep
    Glahstah! (Bay View actually )

Tan, you said "pop a chip" do you mean just a reflash or different chip altogether?
    I'm not too familiar w/the VW mod paths.

-tp
    Yeah. Exactly. I've got an A4 and the process is the same. A lot of tuners put a socket in the actual ECU that allows to change the little EPROM chip to one with different tuning. Wanna go back to stock? just put the other EPROM back in.

I've actually got 2 ECU's, one stock, on not. Works really well. Usually does all of the usual stuff, remap boost, fuel, timing, etc.

tan
    unfortunately for naturally aspirated motors, especially stock, it's not going to do much.

Your wife is cool, first of all. The two cars should be somewhat closely matched, but I guess not. Why don't you try swapping cars? That'll show whether it's the car or the driver.

-Jim

Registered User StoplightWarrior's Avatar
    Originally posted by PlatinumWRX
    Why don't you try swapping cars?
    2003 SRT-4

Good Question.

Smart A$$ Answer: Who wants to drive a Jetta when they can drive a WRX?

Real Answer: Good call - I feel horribly stupid for not having thought of it myself. We're both on vacation this week so we'll find a safe spot to switch cars and run each other. I'll post the results when I have them.

In case anyone still cares:

We swapped cars and I have the answer... it's part car and part driver. I was able to hange with the WRX much better than my wife, but it was still no contest. Now I'm just hoping she'll be willing to switch back!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.