STi vs Cobra - my first kill -w- the STi

This is a discussion on STi vs Cobra - my first kill -w- the STi within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; First off this race was in the country and their wasn't one other car on the road to be seen. ...

STi vs Cobra - my first kill -w- the STi

First off this race was in the country and their wasn't one other car on the road to be seen. I like to mention that for the don't street race crowd.

On my way home, I noticed this Cobra - (99 Cobra body style)- up ahead of me. So I speed up to get a better look. When I get along side of him he nails it (we were all ready going 80mph). I was in 5th gear and just kept it there and nailed it. He got slight jump on me (I could have dropped to 4th gear but thought I might have problems finding the gear - getting used to the 6 speed) From 90-110mph were basically side by side with me slowly pulling on him. Then I started pulling even more as my rpms moved up the tach. I also hit my IC sprayer - hoping to give me an extra boost. We raced up to about 130mph and I had about 2-3 cars on him when we let off.

After the race we slowed down down and gave each other a smile. We decided to go at it from a 1st gear rol (about 10mph or so). I pulled on him pretty good, and I had about 1- 11/2 cars on him at 55mph, when I missed 3rd gear (yikes - like I said getting used to this new 6 speed). He thought I had just let off because I had proved my point (which I had). He pulled along side of me and gave me a smile and the thumbs up. Cool guy.

My first real kill in the STi (first fast car I've raced).
    He had some mods on it. Definately the exhaust and I'm sure more. I sounded nice and he wanted to play,not your average communter.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

So do you think it is faster than your 02 WRX?

I raced one and blew him away, so I was just wondering if he was a bad driver.
    Stage IV+
    Going for 11's

Damn good kill man. I dont' know much about Slowbras but I'm guessing a DOHC V8 is no joke from a roll. Sounds like you got a strong runnin subie.
    2000 LS1 Camaro M6

Registered User StoplightWarrior's Avatar
    good kill. My buddy's BONE stock 99 cobra runs 13.4s at 109!! Some are faster than others, but still, good kill.

BTW, dont try an 03 cobra, they trap 113+ stock! (supercharged from the factory)
    2003 SRT-4

Originally posted by skullguy
    So do you think it is faster than your 02 WRX?

I raced one and blew him away, so I was just wondering if he was a bad driver.
    Like I said I'm having trouble getting used to the 6 speed. The car is definately just as fast in 1st and 2nd gear. The car pulls extremely hard off the line. In 3rd gear I think my Stage 4 was faster. 3rd gear pulled really hard in my Stage 4. So I have a feeling off the line an STi can hold its own with a stage 4. Then at about 60mph or so a Stage 4 will start to slowly pull away in 3rd gear.

The STi you raced probably didn't have good control of the car. I've been having a lot of trouble finding the right gear and shifting the car quickly. When I try to downshift into 3rd, I slide it up into 5th. I'm also having trouble finding 4th gear some times. I have to take my time when shifting the car.
    I had a car try to race me the other day and I got all messed up with the gears. It took me like 3 seconds to find the right gear when down shifting. It probably looked like the car was slow to the guy I was racing. Lucky for me I put it in 5th gear and just kept my foot to the floor. I finally caught him at 110mph and started pulling away. I had it if 5th gear from like 60mph.As you know that doesn't win very many races.

I expect a good driver to pull easy low 13s @ 103 mph or so in a stock STi. . This winter with cool air I will not suprised to see a stock STi pull 12.9s. Its a fast car for sure.

But I also know of several guys only being able to run 14s in their STi's at the track. This shows there's alot of guys that really can't get the most out of the car.

Great race
    Fahd

Floats like a butterfly and stings like when I pee!

I believe there was a recall on 99 Cobras due to some intake problem or something. After the fix I think they were putting around 280HP to the wheels. I would guess most stock 99 Cobras run in the mid to high 13's. 01 & 02 Cobras may be a bit faster due to minor fixes/changes and the 00 only came as the Cobra R with the 5.4 DOHC (385HP). Like was said above the 03 is the fastest stock production Mustang to date. They have been seeing 360+ RWHP STOCK. 400+ RWHP is very easy to achieve with minor bolt-ons and even 500 RWHP is fairly easy to do I believe. I'm sure there are some stang guys in here who will let you know more or correct any errors in my post
    Chris
    2000 WS6 Trans Am
    M6(Hurst)
    MODS: Direct-Flo Lid, GMS MAF, BG Ram Air Mod,
    Hotchkis STB, EGR Mod, Corsa Exhaust (No Muffler)

Let me tell ya' what Melba Toast is packin' right here alright. We got 4.11 positrac outback, 750 double pumper, Edelbrock intake, bored over .030, 11:1 pop-up pistons, Turbo-Jet 390 horsepower.....We're talkin' some f*%#in' muscle!!
    Wooderson - Dazed & Confused

Big Red, you're right about the '99 cobra recall. It only happened that one year and Ford took a year off to make sure the problem was fixed(hence no '00 Cobra except the R model). I think you could expect about a 30-35 hp increase after Ford did the recall work on it. As for the '03 Cobra's, go out and buy yourself a blower pully from a Lightning and that alone nets you about 40 hp

I would love to have one of those new Cobra's. They are such beasts. Maybe in a few years I will be able to pick up a used one.
    03 Cobra
    566whp/515wtq

Pics
    & Dyno
    Pics

Originally posted by AjIsDope
    I would love to have one of those new Cobra's. They are such beasts. Maybe in a few years I will be able to pick up a used one.

I seriously considered getting an 03 Cobra. They all basically cost the same. You can find a used 03 Cobra for around 29k. I finally decided on the STi because of my past experience with Subaru and the STi's all around (awd) performance.

The 03 Cobra is definately the biggest bang for the buck (talking pure horse power) but it is very out dated in may ways. I didn't like the way the car felt when I drove it. The car felt very heavy and drove that way. I had very little confidence or road feel behind the wheel. I felt very disconnected with the car. It drove like older cars of the past. It didn't have the tight confident feel I get behind the wheel in an EVO or an STi.
    In my opinion the STi is a much better car. We will have to see what the new Cobra is like in a year or two.

If I was to get the Cobra it would be my weekend racer. I would keep driving the scooby every day. I would use the Cobra just for dragging in remote streets and on the track.