Ford poontang kill...

This is a discussion on Ford poontang kill... within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I was minding my own business (cause we all know thats how everything starts) when a new body type ford ...

Ford poontang kill...

I was minding my own business (cause we all know thats how everything starts) when a new body type ford mustang GT (the ones with hoodscoops) gets up close and personal behind me.

Im thinking oh ok this could be fun. At the time we were stuck behind a huge line of traffic going about 35mph. This dude is riding my tail. Up about a 1/2 mile the road opens up into two lanes up a 8-10% grade. Im thinking this guy is gonna try to take me. I downshift to 2nd getting ready for the punch.

The lanes open up and I hear the mustangs sweet exhaust roar. I punch it. He pulls even on the right up when his front fender meets my front bumper he stops pulling I start overtaking him. I wind out 2nd slam it into third... I glance over to my boost gauge .12 mpa @ 4500 it says as regulated By VS1 software. Steady pull through 3rd. Slam it into 4th steady at .12 mpa. Its a SLOW pull and we are almost accellerating equally. We are about to peak the crest of the hill for a single lane merge and we shut down. We take it up to about 110 and I am a good 4-5 carlengths in front.

IMHO satisfying kill, enough for him to hear the boxer rumble thru my prodrive and read S-U-B-A-R-U on my trunklid.

Thought it would be closer... oh well...
    VS1/TXSII Hybrid (RIP)

Me: I hit a highway divider at 120...
    Stupid Cousin: Is that a bad thing?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User StoplightWarrior's Avatar
    Good kill. Got any times on your beast?
    2003 SRT-4

No times yet... recently installed the software.

But a ball park estimate would be low 13's. Most people running VS1 or TXSII setups are running around a 13.3.

It is not unheard of with a good driver and an insane launch on a good day for this setup to net 12.9x's. From what I hear this is extremely difficult with only 2 people so far on this board in < 20% humidity on a cool day netting 12 sec passes.

I need a new turbo
    VS1/TXSII Hybrid (RIP)

Originally posted by Butterfingers
    No times yet... recently installed the software.

But a ball park estimate would be low 13's. Most people running VS1 or TXSII setups are running around a 13.3.

It is not unheard of with a good driver and an insane launch on a good day for this setup to net 12.9x's. From what I hear this is extremely difficult with only 2 people so far on this board in < 20% humidity on a cool day netting 12 sec passes.

I need a new turbo
    so Im guessing this isnt your daily driver, then?
    2003 SRT-4

Ike
    Why would you say that?

It is... I drive around 40 miles every day.

Just some detail about the setup...

VS1/TXSII setups are middle of the road setups. They consist of stock turbos running stock fuel systems. The most expensive part of the setup would be the computer and software which makes power through fuel trimming boost control and timing changes.

My setup is as follows:

Vishnu XEDE Piggy back engine control module.

Autospeed Crank Pulley

Perrin Intercooler Hoses

TXS Turboback Exhaust with Prodrive Rear section.

Stock Gutted Uppipe.

My goal is to get into consistent 12's in any climate which would require a VS2/ TXS4 setup which gives the car fuel system upgrades and a larger turbo.

WRX's are extremely easy to extract power out of a simple exhaust and boost control device can up the power to the wheels 40-50 hp. No joke. Reduce spool from 3500 rpms stock to 2800 rpms with decatted up and downpipes and make the torque curve shaped like a brick from 2800 rpms up to redline.
    Last edited by Butterfingers; 07-09-2003 at 11:34 PM.
    VS1/TXSII Hybrid (RIP)

oh, I just wouldnt think a car with that level of mods/ aftermarket turbo would make for a very streetable daily driver. I know my GT is kind of annoying to drive daily/count on...
    2003 SRT-4

Ike
    I rode in a mustang in the snow once. Once!

If anything I would say these mods make the car easier to drive. Power is more readily available, and thottle response is much imporved.

Beleive it or not when not on boost there is a noticable increase in highway fuel economy. Say a 1 mpg increase. Has anybody else with this setup noticed the same?

Of course once that boost needle goes past 0 mpa fuel efficency takes a sharp dive
    VS1/TXSII Hybrid (RIP)

The mustang drives pretty well for a daily driver. I put 50K miles in 1.5 years on mine with NO problems. In the snow, I get four 50lbs bags of rock at home depot and throw them in the trunk. The car you raced is not a poontang, rustang or whatever you call them, it's a Mustang. If your car is more modded than his, yes, you will win.
    Mustang, 2002, Silver, GT, 5 SP
    View My Members Page

Stock and a good driver will win just the same.
    Dan- 2004 PSM 5spd

"Days get shorter, nights get longer, snow gets deeper, life gets better."