WRX vs 3000GT VR4

This is a discussion on WRX vs 3000GT VR4 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Last night I was heading back from T3 and the streets were empty (midnight). I had a buddy with me. ...

WRX vs 3000GT VR4

Last night I was heading back from T3 and the streets were empty (midnight). I had a buddy with me. It was hot and hell as I had the A/C blasting. I noticed a black 300GT next to me. Then I noticed it was a VR4. He had his windows down, so I shut off the A/C and put mine down as well. It was a younger looking guy without a passenger.
    I messed with him for a minute and I slowed up to see if he would take the bait. He was at my rear quarter panel and then he went as fast as he could...uh I wasn't ready buddy. He must've topped it out around 130 and I didn't even try because he jumped so far ahead.

We hit the next light and he gets over in the turning lane. I signal for him to get next to me so we could go from a dead stop. He starts to get over and the light turns green. I thought he was ready so I drop it at 5k...*chirp* and I'm off. He takes off slowly and I decided to slow up and wait for him. I'm rolling in first and he gets next to me. We're door to door now and we both hit it at the same time. I hold him off until about 80 mph and then he pulls on me...pulls ahead about 2-3 cars and is steadily still pulling. I heard his turbo really spooling which made me think he's not running stock boost. Hard to say because I don't know much about them.

Either way, good run. If someone could tell me some specs on them it would be nice. I didn't think he'd just pull away from me that easily that late in the race if he were bone stock. I know an extra 200 lbs didn't help me though (damn fat ass passenger). LOL
    '05 Obsidian Black STi (my dream has come true)
    '93 SE-R (JDM SR20DE waiting...)
    '69 Camaro SS (project car)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

It's a twin turbocharged V6, with approximately 320HP and weighing in about 3760lbs. They're heavy, but have fairly good top end. You will definitely lose on a top end battle if you're stock. I think they had 4 wheel directional steering as well, that's what I remember hearing, never verified it though. If their reliability weren't so bad and they weren't so darn heavy, they would probably still be around. I believe the last year production was 1999? Correct me if I'm wrong. Don't be ashamed of your loss, you live to fight another day.

stop embarassing yourself with stock WRX!

Originally posted by WRXreX
    stop embarassing yourself with stock WRX!
    Damn...

I honestly didn't realize how much top end they had. I had him til 80 mph!!! I would've won an 1/8th mile battle. hehe.
    '05 Obsidian Black STi (my dream has come true)
    '93 SE-R (JDM SR20DE waiting...)
    '69 Camaro SS (project car)

Afaik - the last year they were in production in the USA was 1997. If you were refering to the car in general, not only the USA, then I think you are correct.
    03 wrx - 300whp/270wtq
    Originally posted by zoophagy
    The people that work there are, for the most part, retards. I used to work there.

The 3000GT was available through 1999. The Stealth stopped after 1996.

Lots of 'em are stock; some of 'em are not
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

hehehe... it seems that quite a few stock WRX owners don't realize that our cars can not keep up with more powerful cars from a roll-on race.....

to keep up with anything with over 230HP on the highway, a turbo upgrade is what the doctor ordered
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

Better gearing wouldn't hurt either.

from what i understand, their hp depends on the year they were produced. the earlier ones had less, and the later ones had the 320hp that you are talking about--i didnt think that but a friend who is into them told me that recently.
    anyway, with a 320hp one, from a dead stop i wouldnt be surprised if you held him off for a while, but from a roll if you had him till 80, then you are pretty lucky (especially if he wasnt bone stock).
    o-|-<) bryan

-2003 Blue WRX, complete 2007 STi Engine/Drivetrain transplant - Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 | Pic 4 (new!)
    -1994 Black Supra TT 6MT - Pic | Build/Restoration Thread: 67mm, Fuel, Painted Engine Bay, Fuse Box Relocation, Wire Tuck, etc.

www.TriStateTuners.com

Originally posted by Wrinkleboi
    from what i understand, their hp depends on the year they were produced. the earlier ones had less, and the later ones had the 320hp that you are talking about
    Even the ones from 1991 had 300HP. 20 less HP and a 5 gear tranny. Probably still a highway monster though.

On the 5spd cars, you can do 90 in 2nd gear and 120 in 3rd.

The only problem with that is on stock turbos, the boost falls badly after 5k rpm so you spend a lot longer without as much boost.

The 6spd cars keep things spooled longer so they're more powerful from a roll. My car traps at almost 110 mph on race gas and 107-108 on 93 pump.

Once you replace the turbos, it really doesn't matter anymore, and the 5spd is actually an advantage since you shift less. My goal is 120 mph on pump gas as soon as my 16g's arrive.
    John M
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

Question On the 5spd cars, you can do 90 in 2nd gear and 120 in 3rd.

i thought the max we can go in 2nd gear is like 65mph.
    "All the auto WRXs I've driven (alot, I work at a dealership) give me enough time to make a peanut butter and jelly sammich before they hit boost." - Rancid

SQC 120

the user manual say 63 i think hehe.

Sorry; I was referring to the 3kGT / Stealths.

91-93 is 5spd and 94+ is 6spd
    John M

Originally posted by WRXRATED7
    I honestly didn't realize how much top end they had. I had him til 80 mph!!! I would've won an 1/8th mile battle. hehe.
    I used to have a non-turbo 3000 GT. That thing weighed so friggin' much. The VR-4s are nice...especially when modded. At high speeds, they would've picked up momentum and the turbos just force that big hunk of metal forward with incredible force!
    Fahd

Floats like a butterfly and stings like when I pee!