Audi S4 in Raritan, NJ goes DOWN...
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Audi S4 in Raritan, NJ goes DOWN... within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I was cruising up to Morristown, NJ on Route 206 to pick up my new turbo when this silver S4 ...

Audi S4 in Raritan, NJ goes DOWN...

I was cruising up to Morristown, NJ on Route 206 to pick up my new turbo when this silver S4 starts messing with me. He kept slowing down and speeding up. I was stuck behind him. We finally caught a light, but we were both in the right lane. He was first at the light and I was immediately behind him. A Forester and an Accord were blocking the left lane for us. When the opposing light turned yellow, I revved to let him know that I wanted to pass him.

Our light changes green and he gets on it. I had to short shift into second to avoid rear ending him, but I swung out into the left lane and stayed on it. We were even until I shifted into third and slowly started to pull away. As I shifted into fourth, I gave him a wave thru the passenger's window. By the time I shut down I had a good 4-5 car lengths. He was not happy and wouldn't look over at the next light.

Another "fast" German car bites the dust.

-Jim

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Were you still running the VF 30 with stock fuel? If so, I would think you would blow by him a little faster than you described. I believe the S4 has a power to weight ratio close to a stock WRX. Obviously the S4 will have more advantage from a roll though.

Anyway, good race. It's hard to race and pass someone lined up in front of you.
    2002 WRX Sedan-Silver
    Turbo XS UTEC Stage IV (VF34)+TMIC, STI RA gears, Exedy clutch/flywheel

Originally posted by JRod
    Were you still running the VF 30 with stock fuel? If so, I would think you would blow by him a little faster than you described. I believe the S4 has a power to weight ratio close to a stock WRX. Obviously the S4 will have more advantage from a roll though.

Anyway, good race. It's hard to race and pass someone lined up in front of you.
    I'm still on the VF30 and stock fuel. Like I said, I had to short shift into second (like 20mph), so I had to re-spool the turbo. It IS VERY difficult to line up behind a fast car and get around them. It's one of my favorite things to do though. "Fast" victims so far: old school air-cooled 911 Carrera 2, C5 Corvette w/ girlfriend, and now the S4.

-Jim

WRX
    sweet! I heard the s4's are a tad slower than the stock WRX though.
    13.12@101mph
    248whp 204lb/ft torque
    mods

S4's respond very nicely to chipping. I think they gain around 50hp and 50-60 tq. with just a chip.
    Run Forest, Run
    04 Java Black 5Mt XT

Originally posted by PlatinumWRX
    I'm still on the VF30 and stock fuel. Like I said, I had to short shift into second (like 20mph), so I had to re-spool the turbo. It IS VERY difficult to line up behind a fast car and get around them. It's one of my favorite things to do though. "Fast" victims so far: old school air-cooled 911 Carrera 2, C5 Corvette w/ girlfriend, and now the S4.

-Jim

Hey Jim,

Nice race, I had raced some chipped S4's and yes they run very well. I noticed you are running a VF30 with the stock fuel system. How much actual boost can you run before you hit the limits of the stock fuel system?

Originally posted by EIonJess
    Hey Jim,

Nice race, I had raced some chipped S4's and yes they run very well. I noticed you are running a VF30 with the stock fuel system. How much actual boost can you run before you hit the limits of the stock fuel system?
    I run 15-15.5 psi daily. At the track I run 17psi on 104 octane. The injectors probably go static at 5500rpm at 16+psi, but as long as you have enough octane to avoid detonation, it's no big deal. I tell people that run the VF30 on stock fuel to keep the boost below 16psi, most opt to run it around 15psi.

-Jim

I run 15-15.5 psi daily. At the track I run 17psi on 104 octane. The injectors probably go static at 5500rpm at 16+psi, but as long as you have enough octane to avoid detonation, it's no big deal. I tell people that run the VF30 on stock fuel to keep the boost below 16psi, most opt to run it around 15psi.

-Jim
    Hey Jim,

I've always been curious why you're running stock fuel for that turbo... you could easily turn up the boost with a higher safety margin with injectors and a pump. I'm running a very conservative tune with my VF34 and I'm running 18 psi. I had a lot more HP on the table that I had detuned for safety.

Do you run Ultra 94 gasoline? That's all I use

-Bob
    I am the Anti-rice.

TurboXS stage 4+ and much, much more...

Originally posted by dookiebob
    Hey Jim,

I've always been curious why you're running stock fuel for that turbo... you could easily turn up the boost with a higher safety margin with injectors and a pump. I'm running a very conservative tune with my VF34 and I'm running 18 psi. I had a lot more HP on the table that I had detuned for safety.

Do you run Ultra 94 gasoline? That's all I use

-Bob
    A number of reasons:
    I've been waiting for AutoSpeed Performance to finish their 3" turboback exhaust and FMIC, so I could install a Mitsu turbocharger with 600+ cc/min injectors, a Walbro pump, and a UTEC. ASP is done the turboback and it'll be out shortly, but I am going to have all of my exhaust ceramic coated before installation. I just acquired my 16g turbo yesterday AND I've been low on funds of late.

I run 93 octane from whatever gas station I'm near when I need fuel.

-Jim

A number of reasons:
    I've been waiting for AutoSpeed Performance to finish their 3" turboback exhaust and FMIC, so I could install a Mitsu turbocharger with 600+ cc/min injectors, a Walbro pump, and a UTEC. ASP is done the turboback and it'll be out shortly, but I am going to have all of my exhaust ceramic coated before installation. I just acquired my 16g turbo yesterday AND I've been low on funds of late.

I run 93 octane from whatever gas station I'm near when I need fuel.

-Jim
    Yikes That will be a NUTTY setup... can't wait to see it in action

BTW, nice kill on the S4. I've been toasting German Marques left and right in my baby. Haven't lost to anyone yet

-Bob
    I am the Anti-rice.

TurboXS stage 4+ and much, much more...

An S4 kicked my ass on the auto-x course the weekend before last... those things are pretty cool... good kill.
    STIwish
    -------------------
    03 Subaru WRX Sedan WR Blue -
    RIP

just thought I would point out that this was very weird to actually hear of someone race through my tiny ass town

nice race

Carl
    1989 Pontiac Turbo Trans Am

My friend has an S4 and i was able to take him when he was stock and i had an open downpipe. Now he got a chip that added 60hp/100trq. The S4 you raced was probably stock, but still cool to see it lose.

-Jim
    exactly! I have a similar setup; VF30 stock injectors with up-grade walbro fuel pump, bosal dp, gutted up-pipe and scorpion axel back. I have my boost set to 14.5 psi for daily driving and 15.5 psi for the un-expected high-way over taking..and the car rocks. To lesson the chance of detonation, i run 93 oct. religiously.

Originally posted by modvp
    exactly! I have a similar setup; VF30 stock injectors with up-grade walbro fuel pump, bosal dp, gutted up-pipe and scorpion axel back. I have my boost set to 14.5 psi for daily driving and 15.5 psi for the un-expected high-way over taking..and the car rocks. To lesson the chance of detonation, i run 93 oct. religiously.

Sounds like you are injectors away from stage 4. Have you put your current setup on a dyno? Kind of interested on your power gains and 1/4 mile times.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.