BMW 330Ci
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on BMW 330Ci within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I was out tonite just drivin around enjoying the sound of my new flowmaster exhaust and APS intake (thanks Joe!). ...

I Support ClubWRX

BMW 330Ci

I was out tonite just drivin around enjoying the sound of my new flowmaster exhaust and APS intake (thanks Joe!). I was on route 1 and I caught a red light. As I waited a few cars piled up behind me. The light turned green and I hit it decently hard (no real launch, but I got on it pretty nice once I got moving). I pulled away from traffic and was cruisin at about 60 when I see a set of Xenon headlights moving up on me fast. I new it was a BMW from the rather distinctive headlights. The kid rolls up next to me in a silver 330Ci and looks over at me with that look in his eye (we all know what look I'm talking about). With no warning, he gets on it and takes off. I downshift into third and hit it, but by the time I shifted, he was already ~2 cars ahead and pulling away. By the time I ran out 3rd he was barely 1 car ahead of me. by the time I hit 110 we were even and I was pulling past him. Then, he suddenly braked and dropped back fast... I didn't know why, but I figured there was a good reason so I did the same. Suddenly a State Trooper comes flying down a ramp onto the highway with lights flashing, and speeds off. At the next light we caught he yells over that he saw the lights flashing through the trees. I thanked him. Then he said 'wow, that things is fast... you had me for sure!' I gave a sly smile and complimented him on the beauty of his car. We drove down the road for another 2 miles or so side by side cruisin at 60 until I exited and we exchanged thumbs up! Cool guy. Close call. Lotsa fun whooping on Bimmers!

I need a new turbo... then I'm going M3 hunting!
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

yup 330's are nice cars to race with. they only have 225 hp to start with but bmw makes those horses work hard. They can keep up with cars with about 265-280 hp range (i.e type s and g35). Good luck with the m3

Originally posted by madmmt
    yup 330's are nice cars to race with. they only have 225 hp to start with but bmw makes those horses work hard. They can keep up with cars with about 265-280 hp range (i.e type s and g35). Good luck with the m3
    Are you saying that German horses work harder than Japanese?

i thought those 330ci come w/245hp?
    k&n, sti-hoodscoop, engine mounts, & tranny mount, blitz dtt, catless up-pipe, samco ic hose, greddy CC, cusco f/r swaybars, gutted midpipe, oil cooler, prodrive exhaust & f/r replica sti strut tower bar, gunmetal rota tarmac, goodridge ss lines, p'n'p exhaust manifold

deny the fly-by

Re: BMW 330Ci

Originally posted by MidKnight
    The kid rolls up next to me in a silver 330Ci and looks over at me with that look in his eye (we all know what look I'm talking about.
    hahahaha thats funny how was the look on his face when the race was over kind of like this ?

I Support ClubWRX

Re: Re: BMW 330Ci

Originally posted by SjpWrx
    hahahaha thats funny how was the look on his face when the race was over kind of like this ?
    HAHA... That's about what it looked like!
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

Over the years Japanese manufacturers have had a reputation for exagerating the hp ratings of their sports cars while european makes tend to be spot on or even underestimated. It's great to see a nice guy driving a BMW, most BMW drivers around here are pricks but give those cars respect because as madmmt says:

They can keep up with cars with about 265-280 hp range (i.e type s and g35).

I Support ClubWRX
    Actually eluminx, most high powered japanese sports cars are underrated. There is a gentleman's agreement in Japan that no cars will produce over 280 hp, so many are rated at this power level. However, a lot of them produce significantly more power than that.

It may be that the cars rated under 280 may be rated at higher power levels than they actually produce though....
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno

Not only hp that helps the Bimmer, but they are known to have a precise well balance gear ratio for the tranny..
    01 CL Type S *Sold*
    04 Silver/Gold STi
    -COBB AP Stage 2 / 93 oct
    -Drop in K&N filter
    -Bosal Single Tip Catback
    -Helix 3" Catless Downpipe
    -Replica STi front strut tower brace

When I said "Over the years" I was thinking during the 80's when Japanesse cars first became a serious player on the world market. During that time I can't off the top of my head think of commonly available Japanesse car that produced 280hp. This is the time that I first got into cars and in the part of the world I was living in at the time it was generally accepted that Japanesse sorts cars came with overrated hp claims, handled like pigs and sucked in general. Remember it was the MkI Golf Gti of 1976 that started the whole practical small performance car for not to much money craze off in 1976. There aren't many left on the roads in good condition but next time you see one driven by a proud owner give a wave.

Don't mean to be Japanesse bashing, I love my WRX

I would say the Z was the start of the small affordable sports car fad. Or even the old MG's and Fiat spider's.

EDIT: Oh, perforamnce I thought I saw sport, well then scratch the mg and Fiat

Mazda RX series also, I was smoked in my MkII Gti by a few RX2's and RX3's back in the day but I wasn't meaning sports cars as in 2+2 seaters, I was meaning the transformation of a regular everyday car into a performance car, like the WRX

Re: BMW 330Ci

Originally posted by MidKnight
    I need a new turbo... then I'm going M3 hunting!
    Let me know. I'm starting an IHI groupbuy soon.

-Jim

Originally posted by MrSwede
    Not all hp (or hp claims) or equal. With the exception of the 280hp+ Japanese cars and a few other examples (ie. the Forester XT maybe) I think it is safe to say that European manufactures tend to be more conservative on their hp ratings.

Also BMW 6's have great tq.

The 1.8t engines in the VW's have been under rated. I seem to remember seeing a bone stock 180hp 1.8t put down 172 hp to the wheels.
    Run Forest, Run
    04 Java Black 5Mt XT

I've heard of audi's being vastly underrated, especially in the top speed category

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast