Subaru WRX Forum banner

Stock WRX vs 2001 Camaro SS

6K views 53 replies 24 participants last post by  Scrat WRX 
#1 ·
My friend has a camaro SS and one day we decided to race. We had 2 races one drag, and two road track (aka with turns) on the street.

The drag i smoked him off the line, but then wasnt even close he kicked my a** (saw that one coming).

In the road course, i smoked him no problem thru the turns, in the straights he caught me, but it was very close since those American cars can't turn. :) Anyway i think i took him, but not by much.

#3 ·
Re: Re: Stock WRX vs 2001 Camaro SS

Shaitiger said:
I just went outside to test my steering wheel. The wheels turn very well :confused: .

Hey how much faster is your camaro than your wrx from a roll, and from a stop? I have around 280 to the wheels and Im adding a FMIC and headers, so i should end up around 300 whp, and I'm racing a friend with a 350 whp z28 6speed. He has run hi 12's on drag radials. I've done 12.8 with the stage 4 and TMIC (only tried once). Just curious what you feel the difference is solely in terms of straight line acceleration both from a roll and a standing 1/4. Thanks...

#4 ·
Re: Re: Re: Stock WRX vs 2001 Camaro SS

BassMan097 said:
Hey how much faster is your camaro than your wrx from a roll, and from a stop? I have around 280 to the wheels and Im adding a FMIC and headers, so i should end up around 300 whp, and I'm racing a friend with a 350 whp z28 6speed. He has run hi 12's on drag radials. I've done 12.8 with the stage 4 and TMIC (only tried once). Just curious what you feel the difference is solely in terms of straight line acceleration both from a roll and a standing 1/4. Thanks...
350whp is his modded decent nothing too big it seems. He is going to walk you from a roll. 280 < 350. The 6 speed ls1's are monsters from a roll. If it is an auto ls1 then you may have a chance, but 350 is 350.

#9 · (Edited)
Re: Re: Re: Stock WRX vs 2001 Camaro SS

BassMan097 said:
That's a good question, I haven't raced both against each other yet but I'm pretty sure of the outcome. Regardless, that's definitely going to happen in the near future. My girlfriend drives stick pretty well. I can put her in the SS.

My SS should trap 115+mph if I can drive it properly. I really hope my wagon traps 106+mph the next time I head to the track. You can get an idea of how that race will be from a roll.

Now from a stop, if both cars are launched properly, I can see both cars side by side about mid 3rd gear. After that, my SS will pull hard especially through 4th.

I can determine this by how both cars feel as well. My SS isn't as nearly modded as my WRX. I basically have a mild aftermarket cam and 2 bolt-ons. This race between you and your friend will be a drivers race. If both of you drive well, then I can see you staying even till 4th gear. That retched 4th gear :( . Anyways, its still a driver's race, anything can happen. Good Luck.

ebr0t said:
my rex

uppipe
turboback
mbc

took my friends 96 SS (chipped with exhaust) till 65... then we shut it down. Really not sure how much behind me he was, i was looking for cops, not looking back... but he wasnt next to me...
You raced an LT1.

#11 · (Edited)
JBLSWRX said:
Your right about f bodys they cant touch us in the handling dept I should know I had a 400rwhp ws6 but in a straight away not many could touch me even with an auto I had a 3000 stall converter.
I'm going to have to disagree with the "can't touch" statement. That's what suspension mods are for.

#14 · (Edited)
What's with you Rice Boys?....Interested in FACTS?..... A stock ls1 f-body will out acellerate out brake out handle and flat out run away in top speed a stock WRX!......AND....Wait.......get this only uses TWO more Miles per Gallon AND cost about the SAME!
2002 Formulas were going for $23K and RicerWRX's 24K!

I know you ricers find this hard to comprehend....but don't take my word Moter trend reports Camaro 60-0 brakeing....120..Ricerwrx...123. CamaroSlalom...63mph...Ricerwrx--61mph. Fuel milage Camaro..18mpg Ricerwrx-20mpg..WOW!... Dont' even try ricer to compare speed or acelleration or lateral g's in a corner cus Ricerwrx does not even come close!

Oh and P.S. ever watch show room stock raceing? F-body's (Camaros and Firebirds)have more wins in class than all competiors until its 2002 discontinuation, raceing against Cobras, Porsches 944s, Supras 300zx's and RX-7's,NOT neons and focuses!!

RicerWRXers, don't even try to compare your ricers to Firebirds or Camaros your FAR out of your league.....Go ahead and drop $5,000 or more in mods( not incuding stickers) just to get close to stock ls1 times with a descent driver......But for your own good stick to raceing Neons it's more your league!...OOPPPPSSS..Wait...
you better stick with Focus's and Hondas, word on the street....NEONS WHHHOOOPP Ricerswrx's!!!!BAAAAHHHHAAAAA!!!!

Sorry...but...the Truth sometimes Hurts..........

Until next time RicerWRX boy.....SEEEEEEYYYYYAHHHHHHHH!!!!!

#17 ·
slin02 said:
rayzzz
you surely have some decent time there with firebird fomula, care to share ( scan ) the time slip? I have never seen one person get into 11's with only 1700 in mod,,,

I still ran low 13s in my LS1 after these mods. (intake $159,
y pipe $159, $589 catback exhaust, $500 headers, hypertech reprogrammer $350) = close to $2000 in mods

I then spent $2800 on stage 2 Heads, and $350 new cam
This made my car run low 12s. With slicks it was an 11 sec car. But I had at 5k+ in mods not including very expensive installation. With installation I had about 8k in my z28.
I also had to replace the transmission twice in 6 months. The tranny could not handle the power. I had to sell the car.

Most of the guys running real good times ( 11s- low 12s) with very little money spent do this.

They have automatics and get very high stall converters 4000-5000 rpms and run slicks. This method can get you very good times with little money spent. This isn't something the average LS1 owner wants to do to their car.

#18 ·
reliability

keep in mind american reliability, my friend has a 2000 camaro z28, and w/ just a catback and intake he is on his 3rd differential and 2nd transmission, and now he has new exhaust headers, cams, and a hypertech? chip, at this rate he should be goin thru a new transmission every few minutes, he doesn't even push it that hard all the time, but when he does, the thing moves, fast, ill give him that.

#19 ·
i dunno bout the whole reliablity thing that always comes up. I mean people always say that american trucks are made best but cars suck?? they are basically the same thing. just different dimensions. the motors are basically all the same. just a tweak here and a tweak there. of u treat the car well and not pound on it, it will last. if u went thru 3 diff's and 3 tranny then u prrob pound the snot out of ur car. 95% of the time it's not quality it's how much u pound the snot out of it. there are many more original classic cars and muscle cars that are around then "reliable imports" it's all in how u treat the car.

#20 ·
Re: reliability

wrxwex said:
keep in mind american reliability, my friend has a 2000 camaro z28, and w/ just a catback and intake he is on his 3rd differential and 2nd transmission, and now he has new exhaust headers, cams, and a hypertech? chip, at this rate he should be goin thru a new transmission every few minutes, he doesn't even push it that hard all the time, but when he does, the thing moves, fast, ill give him that.
I hope you don't drive a WRX and are talking about transmission problems :rolleyes:

T-56's are, for the most part, reliable up to 450rwhp. I've heard the autos arent as strong. But I'm sure both can handle far more than a stock WRX tranny. Doesn't truboXS suggest replacing the stock tranny at 300 crank hp?

#22 ·
Re: Re: reliability

They (TurboXS) suggest tranny upgrades after 300 whp. Their stage 4 car (11.99 1/4) has only a clutch upgrade and suposedly has around 280 whp w/o the nitrous, and probably around 320 with it. I'm at 284 right now and will be at least at 300 after i install my headers and race pipe to eliminate my last cat. Along with the headers I'm installing an ACT street clutch and lightnened flywheel (exedy). you can get away with just a clutch upgrade as long as it isnt too strong for the actual tranny to handle. I know of people with 350 whp on completely stock tranny's. How long they will last is another story...However, it all really depends if and how much you beat on the car. I met a guy (idiot) that busted his tranny after 16,000 miles with nothing more than exhaust mods. If the hard launches are kept to a minimum, the tranny can easily hold 300 whp if driven "carefully".

#23 ·
Rich10 said:
Why don't you compare the price and performance for the 2003 F bodies to the WRX? Oh, that's right, the F bodies were discontinued. How is it possible that such a superior car is no longer being made?
Well...supra's, skylines, and rx-7's were discontinued, and they sure are superior cars...but i get your point. I'm kinda upset they were discontinued. I never see one on the road to have a run with. Now all there are is hideous riced out pieces of crap.

#24 ·
You guys should know that on this board, the mentalitly is that domestics can't handle. That's the first thing they said about the "SRT-4" and that's what's been said about LS1s and Mustangs.

All this isn't based on actual physical proof, but on what their pride tells them due to their AWD. That's handling.

Straight line? Well, most of the kills on this forum and others are either on stock or very lightly modified(exhaust and intake) LS1s. I think most of the intelligent WRX owners pick their races wisely. The intelligent ones respect the LS1.

Anything can happen on the street regardless. From a stop a WRX can bog, an LS1 can spin all through 1st and 2nd. From a roll, shifts can be missed. I think most of the respectful owners will know what will happen if all the conditions are right.

#25 ·
aheineken said:
Since you're comparing a 2 year old F-body, might as well use a 2-year old wrx for better comparison.

2002 formula - 23k
2002 WRX - 18k + 5k for stage 4 = 23k and running high 12s with everday drivability (snow/rain) and probably still better reliabilty.

Top that mullet boy.
:D

Why did you use a 2 year price on the WRX and not on the LS1? Obviously, he was using new prices on both cars. I guess you're not one of the intelligent ones I was talking about :) .

#26 · (Edited)
Shaitiger said:
:D

Why did you use a 2 year price on the WRX and not on the LS1? Obviously, he was using new prices on both cars. I guess you're not one of the intelligent ones I was talking about :) .
A new LS1 is 23K?? No crap? Surpises the hell out of me. I thought they were closer to 28k.

Oh and even though you were probably not trying to be mean about it; do not refer to me as unintelligent again. I am far from it. Uninformed would be a better choice of words.

BTW: I do respect the LS1. My best friend has a modded 00 SS, so I know what they can do.

Edit: deleted my above to post.:) :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.