Stock WRX vs 2001 Camaro SS - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Stock WRX vs 2001 Camaro SS within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; rayzzz you surely have some decent time there with firebird fomula, care to share ( scan ) the time slip? ...

rayzzz
    you surely have some decent time there with firebird fomula, care to share ( scan ) the time slip? I have never seen one person get into 11's with only 1700 in mod,,,
    my car is slow,,,,,, very slow.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by slin02
    rayzzz
    you surely have some decent time there with firebird fomula, care to share ( scan ) the time slip? I have never seen one person get into 11's with only 1700 in mod,,,

I still ran low 13s in my LS1 after these mods. (intake $159,
    y pipe $159, $589 catback exhaust, $500 headers, hypertech reprogrammer $350) = close to $2000 in mods

I then spent $2800 on stage 2 Heads, and $350 new cam
    This made my car run low 12s. With slicks it was an 11 sec car. But I had at 5k+ in mods not including very expensive installation. With installation I had about 8k in my z28.
    I also had to replace the transmission twice in 6 months. The tranny could not handle the power. I had to sell the car.

Most of the guys running real good times ( 11s- low 12s) with very little money spent do this.

They have automatics and get very high stall converters 4000-5000 rpms and run slicks. This method can get you very good times with little money spent. This isn't something the average LS1 owner wants to do to their car.

reliability

keep in mind american reliability, my friend has a 2000 camaro z28, and w/ just a catback and intake he is on his 3rd differential and 2nd transmission, and now he has new exhaust headers, cams, and a hypertech? chip, at this rate he should be goin thru a new transmission every few minutes, he doesn't even push it that hard all the time, but when he does, the thing moves, fast, ill give him that.
    2004 PSM sedan - 5 speed
    helix rsb + endlinks/gutted uppipe/whiteline steering rack bushings
    stg II next spring...
    AIM: maxler3
    gutted up pipe for sale - $60 shipped anywhere in the US. pm for details

i dunno bout the whole reliablity thing that always comes up. I mean people always say that american trucks are made best but cars suck?? they are basically the same thing. just different dimensions. the motors are basically all the same. just a tweak here and a tweak there. of u treat the car well and not pound on it, it will last. if u went thru 3 diff's and 3 tranny then u prrob pound the snot out of ur car. 95% of the time it's not quality it's how much u pound the snot out of it. there are many more original classic cars and muscle cars that are around then "reliable imports" it's all in how u treat the car.
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

Re: reliability

Originally posted by wrxwex
    keep in mind american reliability, my friend has a 2000 camaro z28, and w/ just a catback and intake he is on his 3rd differential and 2nd transmission, and now he has new exhaust headers, cams, and a hypertech? chip, at this rate he should be goin thru a new transmission every few minutes, he doesn't even push it that hard all the time, but when he does, the thing moves, fast, ill give him that.
    I hope you don't drive a WRX and are talking about transmission problems

T-56's are, for the most part, reliable up to 450rwhp. I've heard the autos arent as strong. But I'm sure both can handle far more than a stock WRX tranny. Doesn't truboXS suggest replacing the stock tranny at 300 crank hp?
    2000 LS1 Camaro M6

Originally posted by rayzzz57
    2002 Formulas were going for $23K and RicerWRX's 24K!
    Why don't you compare the price and performance for the 2003 F bodies to the WRX? Oh, that's right, the F bodies were discontinued. How is it possible that such a superior car is no longer being made?
    2002 WRX WRB

Re: Re: reliability

They (TurboXS) suggest tranny upgrades after 300 whp. Their stage 4 car (11.99 1/4) has only a clutch upgrade and suposedly has around 280 whp w/o the nitrous, and probably around 320 with it. I'm at 284 right now and will be at least at 300 after i install my headers and race pipe to eliminate my last cat. Along with the headers I'm installing an ACT street clutch and lightnened flywheel (exedy). you can get away with just a clutch upgrade as long as it isnt too strong for the actual tranny to handle. I know of people with 350 whp on completely stock tranny's. How long they will last is another story...However, it all really depends if and how much you beat on the car. I met a guy (idiot) that busted his tranny after 16,000 miles with nothing more than exhaust mods. If the hard launches are kept to a minimum, the tranny can easily hold 300 whp if driven "carefully".
    2004 R32: 220 whp

For Sale: 2003 wrx
    376 whp @ 22 psi, 93 octane

Pics:
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/badassrex

Originally posted by Rich10
    Why don't you compare the price and performance for the 2003 F bodies to the WRX? Oh, that's right, the F bodies were discontinued. How is it possible that such a superior car is no longer being made?
    Well...supra's, skylines, and rx-7's were discontinued, and they sure are superior cars...but i get your point. I'm kinda upset they were discontinued. I never see one on the road to have a run with. Now all there are is hideous riced out pieces of crap.

Pics:

You guys should know that on this board, the mentalitly is that domestics can't handle. That's the first thing they said about the "SRT-4" and that's what's been said about LS1s and Mustangs.

All this isn't based on actual physical proof, but on what their pride tells them due to their AWD. That's handling.

Straight line? Well, most of the kills on this forum and others are either on stock or very lightly modified(exhaust and intake) LS1s. I think most of the intelligent WRX owners pick their races wisely. The intelligent ones respect the LS1.

Anything can happen on the street regardless. From a stop a WRX can bog, an LS1 can spin all through 1st and 2nd. From a roll, shifts can be missed. I think most of the respectful owners will know what will happen if all the conditions are right.
    Team Mullet Racing
    2004 White Evolution VIII - Wingless and Altezzaless
    www.forgivendriven.com

SOLD - Stage 4 WRX Wagon - 12.7 at 106mph - SOLD

Originally posted by aheineken
    Since you're comparing a 2 year old F-body, might as well use a 2-year old wrx for better comparison.

2002 formula - 23k
    2002 WRX - 18k + 5k for stage 4 = 23k and running high 12s with everday drivability (snow/rain) and probably still better reliabilty.

Top that mullet boy.

Why did you use a 2 year price on the WRX and not on the LS1? Obviously, he was using new prices on both cars. I guess you're not one of the intelligent ones I was talking about .
    Team Mullet Racing
    www.forgivendriven.com

Originally posted by Shaitiger

Why did you use a 2 year price on the WRX and not on the LS1? Obviously, he was using new prices on both cars. I guess you're not one of the intelligent ones I was talking about .
    A new LS1 is 23K?? No crap? Surpises the hell out of me. I thought they were closer to 28k.

Oh and even though you were probably not trying to be mean about it; do not refer to me as unintelligent again. I am far from it. Uninformed would be a better choice of words.

BTW: I do respect the LS1. My best friend has a modded 00 SS, so I know what they can do.

Edit: deleted my above to post.
    Last edited by aheineken; 07-06-2003 at 06:20 PM.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to prosper." Ben Franklin

Originally posted by aheineken
    A new LS1 is 23K?? No crap? Surpises the hell out of me. I thought they were closer to 28k.

Oh and even though you were probably not trying to be mean about it; do not refer to me as unintelligent again. I am far from it. Uninformed would be a better choice of words.

BTW: I do respect the LS1. My best friend has a modded 00 SS, so I know what they can do.

Edit: deleted my above to post.
    New LS1s before being discontinued ranged from 23K and up. You could find a new Z28 or Formula on the cheaper end. If you want to compare used car prices and dollar for dollar modding, the LS1 would win that hands down due to their horrible resale value and huge aftermarket.

And about the intelligent thing, speaking while uninformed isn't a sign of intelligence. The mullet boy comment didn't help you either, sorry . Regardless, we all make mistakes. I'm just blessed to own both of these amazing cars.
    Team Mullet Racing
    www.forgivendriven.com

I agree with you, you are a lucky man to own two impressively performing cars each with it's own style.

About the mullet boy comment, that was definitely not directed at all camaro/transam owners. As I said, my friend has an LS1 and another friend has an LT1 camaro. It was directed at rayzzz57, who seemed to think every WRX was a ricer and every WRX driver was a rice boy.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to prosper." Ben Franklin

this is off topic, but i couldnt help notice your sig...Tiff is the man!!!! That's all

Pics:

All I can say is:

Speed, stop, suspension, and style.

Which one has them all at stock level.

Plus, speed and Reliability come hand in hand.

Who wants speed without Reliability(breaks down in 5 years because of oil leaks).

The Scoobie invasion is here....the import invasion is here. Even American cars are ricing up. The muscle age is fading away.

Turbo and super chargers are appearing everywhere, Ford, Chrysler, etc.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.