Subaru WRX Forum banner

Stock WRX vs 2001 Camaro SS

6K views 53 replies 24 participants last post by  Scrat WRX 
#1 ·
My friend has a camaro SS and one day we decided to race. We had 2 races one drag, and two road track (aka with turns) on the street.

The drag i smoked him off the line, but then wasnt even close he kicked my a** (saw that one coming).

In the road course, i smoked him no problem thru the turns, in the straights he caught me, but it was very close since those American cars can't turn. :) Anyway i think i took him, but not by much.

#27 ·
aheineken said:
A new LS1 is 23K?? No crap? Surpises the hell out of me. I thought they were closer to 28k.

Oh and even though you were probably not trying to be mean about it; do not refer to me as unintelligent again. I am far from it. Uninformed would be a better choice of words.

BTW: I do respect the LS1. My best friend has a modded 00 SS, so I know what they can do.

Edit: deleted my above to post.:) :D
New LS1s before being discontinued ranged from 23K and up. You could find a new Z28 or Formula on the cheaper end. If you want to compare used car prices and dollar for dollar modding, the LS1 would win that hands down due to their horrible resale value and huge aftermarket.

And about the intelligent thing, speaking while uninformed isn't a sign of intelligence. The mullet boy comment didn't help you either, sorry :( . Regardless, we all make mistakes. I'm just blessed to own both of these amazing cars.

#28 ·
I agree with you, you are a lucky man to own two impressively performing cars each with it's own style.

About the mullet boy comment, that was definitely not directed at all camaro/transam owners. As I said, my friend has an LS1 and another friend has an LT1 camaro. It was directed at rayzzz57, who seemed to think every WRX was a ricer and every WRX driver was a rice boy.

#30 ·
All I can say is:

Speed, stop, suspension, and style.

Which one has them all at stock level.

Plus, speed and Reliability come hand in hand.

Who wants speed without Reliability(breaks down in 5 years because of oil leaks).

The Scoobie invasion is here....the import invasion is here. Even American cars are ricing up. The muscle age is fading away.

Turbo and super chargers are appearing everywhere, Ford, Chrysler, etc.

#31 ·
MengHang said:
All I can say is:

Speed, stop, suspension, and style.
My LS1 was a lot faster stock, stopped better stock, handled ok stock, and surely looks better. I'm one WRX owner who will admit his car is ugly. I bought my wagon for its practicality and fun, not looks.

Reliabity? I've had both of my cars for a while now and they seem to hold up pretty well considering the mods. Actually, my SS drives smoother than my WRX. They still have their own purpose though and I enjoy them both individually.

#33 · (Edited)
Ok School time RicerWRXers....Listen up!

In a F-body (Camaro or Firebird LS1), the following mods totaling ...$1,775 in mods will produce 447/414 RWHP/TQ N/A........$900- locally ported heads,Hammer Cam and springs- $450, Uncoated longtubes headers-$350 and 2 bullet mufflers-$75+plus all free mods( free ram airmod, porteing TB ectc.)=447 RWHP and 417RWTQ.

Thats it! No stickers, No Neon, No Fart cans,no tacking on bigger wings or bumpers or high dollar bigger turbos....just $1,700 FOR 450 N/A RWHP!

When you hear Ls1 drivers puting Z06 Throtle bodies, Hypertech programer these are worthless and un nessesary mods. They are uninformed Ls1 drivers and basicaly ARE STOCK Ls1's. Changing to Zo6Throtlbodies or Hypertech Programers on stock internal Ls1's can actually loose HP!

Simply changing just the cam and adding headers alone can produce 400RWHP levels for only under $1,000(i.e. Hammer cam or G5X2 cam). Or adding just the free mods such air filter intake cut out mod, Hand porting throttle body and T/B bypass mod and maybe a $40 cut out wil produce 345+RWHP!.......FOR 40 DOLLARS!!!!!

Ohh...And Ricers as far as Reliability is concerned. I have had NO reliability problems with my car EVEN spraying 150 shots of Nitrous regularly for the past 2 years! Wanna talk reliability? Try talking to my neighbor who blew up his Ricer Mitsubishi Turbo Eclipse engine up TWICE trying to race me, by overboosting his Jap Crap engine. BBBAAAHHHAAAAA!!

OK School's over Ricers.......go back to watching the Fast and Bi-Curious a hundred times on your bootleged DVD's!

#34 ·
LOL!!! u absolutely crack me up... did your mom give you your mullet or were u born with it? There is no doubt that the LS1s are fast and can be made hella fast for little bank... but its different strokes for different folks man. As a WRX can actually get out of its driveway in the winter, a Camaro or Firebird are going to not move an inch other than MAYBE slide all over the place if they can even move at all. As the Camaro in all of its CI baked glory will walk all over a stock WRX in a straight line.. the WRX will take it in the turns with equal drivers.. Everyone has their own way of doing things.

As your mom has probably told you a million times... cut the mullet and grow up.

#35 ·
Ahh.....BiWish....A stock F-body will kill a RicerWrx in handeling department. As posted in my earlyer post a stock f-body will out slalom out lateral acclerate and out brake a wrx,but don't take my word thats moter trend findings according to it's handeling data from both cars!.....But what do they know BIWISH!

#37 ·
Lets clarify "stock." Stock WRXs come with RE92s and soft suspension. Stock Fbodies come with soft suspension, but stickier tires. A stock WRX might take an Fbody on an autoX circiut, but would be eaten alive on a road track. They are nose heavy (and heavy in general), but they have quite often pulled > .9 g's and mid-high 60mph slaloms in the mags everyone loves to quote.

Lets try and drop the stereotyping here...in both directions (RicerWRXs and MulletFbodies). According to my SN/Avatar, I must be a middle aged white guy (unbuttoned shirt, gold chains) going through a mid-life crisis...(hopefully not middle aged at 24 :p)

VV

STIwish said:
LOL!!! u absolutely crack me up... did your mom give you your mullet or were u born with it? There is no doubt that the LS1s are fast and can be made hella fast for little bank... but its different strokes for different folks man. As a WRX can actually get out of its driveway in the winter, a Camaro or Firebird are going to not move an inch other than MAYBE slide all over the place if they can even move at all. As the Camaro in all of its CI baked glory will walk all over a stock WRX in a straight line.. the WRX will take it in the turns with equal drivers.. Everyone has their own way of doing things.

As your mom has probably told you a million times... cut the mullet and grow up.

#40 · (Edited)
rayzzz57 said:
Ahh.....BiWish....A stock F-body will kill a RicerWrx in handeling department. As posted in my earlyer post a stock f-body will out slalom out lateral acclerate and out brake a wrx,but don't take my word thats moter trend findings according to it's handeling data from both cars!.....But what do they know BIWISH!
:rolleyes: I sold a 2000 Z28 6-speed for my "ricer" WRX. The Z28 was a great car, I miss it for sure. But lets face it, the WRX is far more versatile. We're not comparing apples to apples here anyway, so the argument is stupid and your ranting is making it worse. Being someone that comes from the "domestic" camp and made the switch to the import side, I can say with firsthand experience that the import crowd is far more mature in general (this was a surprise initially). :( My WRX, when it was stock with crappy stock tires, certainly outhandled the Z28 in the canyons. Yes, I live 10 minutes from several canyon roads, and yes I've taken both cars up there many times. Hell, my 2003 Maxima SE handles better than my Z28 did with stock tires/suspension and that car is a total family sedan. With minor suspension mods and better tires though, its no surprise the fbody can handle well. It has the center of gravity and wide arse tires on its side if nothing else. I'll be the first to say that I love LS1 f-bodies. I have nothing but respect for those cars and what they're capable of. I am also equally happy with my 280hp WRX however. Having a car isnt all about HP #s, 1/4 runs and dyno figures... its about having fun with your ride. And I have a hell of a lot of fun with my WRX. :)

PS - I've seen that "holy" copy of Motor Trend that f-body guys like to bring up all the time. Its funny how most of them will also scoff when a mag like MT gets really crappy 1/4 mile times. Nice double standard going on there. Not all of us are professional drivers on a road course though. For me personally, all I know is the Z28 was far more prone to wanting to fly off a cliff in the canyons than the WRX and far less stable. Thats an observation from the drivers seat.

#42 ·
I guess the guys at Car and Driver are ricers too, because they named the WRX to their "ten best" list 2 years in a row. When was the last time an F-body was on that list.

The Motor Trend guys also must be ricers, I remember something about the WRX being named the "most fun".

Oh, not to mention the guys at Automobile magazine. Who if I recall, named the WRX, along with the M5, the best sport sedan.

Hmmm...all these damn car ricer magazines huh?

I'm not knocking F-bodys....they're fast...damn fast. But I've driven my buddy's M6 SS, and it makes me feel like I'm in a truck. Only time I had fun driving it was in a strait line. I must admit though, it's nice to be able to mash the gas at 2000 rpms in 3rd and still get pushed back into the seat.

What i'm getting at is, we love the wrx because it's fun and practical, I could give less of a sh!t if it's faster or slower than a F-body. Alot of us can only have one car, and a RWD V8 car is just not practical for a daily driver.

#44 ·
And then there are those of us who sold their RWD beast weekend car for a WRX weekend car (mine has only 3600 miles in the past 12 months :D ). We're all enthusiasts, I just wish we could get along better sometimes. The main thing I miss about the Z28 is the raw power and the growl from the Borla exhaust. Driving that car b@lls out in a straight line was a beautiful thing. :) Comparing the WRX to an LS1 fbody is like comparing a exacto knife to a baseball bat though. Both get the job done, just in entirely different ways. ;)

#46 ·
Say what you will aheineken.....to each his own.

But I'd still smoke you.:D

I always say this.....

If you hit a light with the opponent with your gf in the car, WRX or SS Camaro, I think you'd take the SS Camaro. Unless of course you're not the racing type.

Most girls don't go for a loser...

Just my $.02

#48 ·
STIwish said:
I'd still take the WRX... its not the size of the engine... its how you take the turns that gets her juices flowin... not to mention I dont have to make up for something im lacking with the big engine :)
haha...classic. BTW, most (99%) of chicks dont give a **** if you win or lose a race, its how your car looks...body kits are a plus for them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.