TXS Stage 2 WRX vs. 255hp Maxima vs. stock Eclipse GSX
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on TXS Stage 2 WRX vs. 255hp Maxima vs. stock Eclipse GSX within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; My friend who has stock 95 Eclipse GSX wanted to benchmark his car so that he can compare his car ...

TXS Stage 2 WRX vs. 255hp Maxima vs. stock Eclipse GSX

My friend who has stock 95 Eclipse GSX wanted to benchmark his car so that he can compare his car before and after CAI/exhaust installation. He also brought his buddy who has 255hp 6sp Maxima with K&N airfilter.

02 WRX
    - TXS stage 2 equivalent
    - 5spd
    - No MBC/EBC

03 Maxima 255hp
    - K&N filter
    - 6spd

95 Eclipse GSX 210hp
    - HKS BOV
    - HID lights
    - 5spd

1st race. 0 - 80mph

With AWD launch, both WRX and GSX had about a car length on Maxima with GSX about 1/4 car lengths ahead of me. I didn't feel like launching too hard and wanted to play catch-up game. By beginning of 2nd gear, I was slowly passing GSX and by middle of 3rd gear, I had about 2 car lengths on GSX. By the time race ended around 80mph, I was ahead by about 2 car lengths on Maxima and 3-4 car lengths on GSX. I didn't know my car pulls that hard in 3rd gear!

2nd race. 45 - 100mph

When raced started, I instantly gained about 1/2 - 1 car length and then gradually increased the lengths until I stopped around 100mph. I had about 5-6 car lengths on GSX and about 2 car lengths on Maxima.

3rd race. 0 - 60mph Stock GSX vs. WRX

I slipped the clutch at 3krpm and we were neck to neck until the beginning of 2nd gear. As I shifted into 2nd gear, I had started to pull away from him and had about 1/2 car lengths on him when I stopped at around 55mph.

I thought it is going to be a tough match against 255hp 6sp Maxima but I ended up winning both races by around 2 car lengths. WRX isn't too bad from the roll.
    Last edited by WRXreX; 07-02-2003 at 12:13 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Nice run
    Fahd

Floats like a butterfly and stings like when I pee!

Hey those are some nice races with some good cars. I expected a little more out of the Maxima. 6 speed and 255 horses, I thought could have run a little better.
    Last edited by EIonJess; 07-01-2003 at 10:50 PM.

Those Maximas are pretty damn quick... I wonder how a stock WRX would stand with one?
    STIwish
    -------------------
    03 Subaru WRX Sedan WR Blue -
    RIP

Your friend is wasting his money on the GSX unless he's after bling and not go-fast.

The stock BOV should be replaced, but as far as I know, the HKS models aren't recirculating and an open BOV causes a DSM to run rich after each shift, hurting power. A 1st gen DSM BOV with adapter is the right way to go. You don't have a $220 "whoosh valve" that ricers can be envious of, but you do go faster.

With the stock T25 turbo, CAI and exhaust are another waste of money. The stock intake (slightly modified; remove the plastic portion that goes into the fenderwell) and the stock exhaust are more than adaquate for such a tiny turbo. A downpipe may be beneficial, but I don't think you can improve spool because a T25 spools instantly anyway.

Do the "poor man's IC pipe" mod, where you hack the flat section out of the stock IC piping and replace it with a 90 degree piece of radiator hose of the appropriate diameter. Done right it'll still fit under the fuse box and look stock.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

Originally posted by EIonJess
    Hey those are some nice races with some good cars. I expected a little more out of the Maxima. 6 speed and 255 horses, I thought could have run a little better.
    Hmm...a basically stock Maxima keeping up with a Stage 2 WRX isn't that good? I guess I respectfully have to disagree - seems that the Max would have "tied/beaten" the WRX in stock form in each of these races. Then again, its hard to tell as the WRX guy didn't launch hard in the first race.

Good runs, those are the best when you can run with friends. No BS'ing, no silly ricer flyby's , etc...
    2005 NBP Accord EX-V6 6MT
    AEM CAI, HFP aerokit, Comptech SS
    17" Enkei RS7s on YokoES100 tires

wow, sounds like if the gsx were to have gone up against a stock wrx, it would probably be an even race
    k&n, sti-hoodscoop, engine mounts, & tranny mount, blitz dtt, catless up-pipe, samco ic hose, greddy CC, cusco f/r swaybars, gutted midpipe, oil cooler, prodrive exhaust & f/r replica sti strut tower bar, gunmetal rota tarmac, goodridge ss lines, p'n'p exhaust manifold

deny the fly-by

Maxima was pretty fast and from what I hear from the owner, it pulls hardest in 3rd gear... GSX is 7 year old car so it may have lost power over the years, but it was pretty fast for first two gears. I was pretty impressive with it although it ran out of steam in 3rd gear and on. I definitely think that race could have been close if my car was stock.

Originally posted by smokey
    Hmm...a basically stock Maxima keeping up with a Stage 2 WRX isn't that good? I guess I respectfully have to disagree - seems that the Max would have "tied/beaten" the WRX in stock form in each of these races. Then again, its hard to tell as the WRX guy didn't launch hard in the first race.

Good runs, those are the best when you can run with friends. No BS'ing, no silly ricer flyby's , etc...
    It's cool you can respectfully disagree. My buddy has 6 speed 255 horse Maxima and I have a stage 2 REX. We often run around and do little quick runs here and there and he was always hanging in there pretty well. We never did a actually run from a dig but I expect a fairly even race after the launch of course. Yes they are fast not to mention very nice. I would think the Maxima could start reeling me in over 100mph.

It probably would. It's got a lot more top end than our WRX has.
    293.2 hp to the ground
    267 lb/ft torque to the ground
    VF-30 Setup

Originally posted by THE ONE
    It probably would. It's got a lot more top end than our WRX has.
    Not my WRX

-Bob
    I am the Anti-rice.

TurboXS stage 4+ and much, much more...

Originally posted by dookiebob
    Not my WRX

-Bob
    I wish I had a stage 4 REX.

I like those wheels you have. Do you have a better shot of them.Not too happy with the stock ones

Hey, I have one of those Maximas for my daily driver. Its an '03 SE 6-speed, fully loaded. For the size of the car, and all things considered, it hauls a$$ for what it is. I ran a stock-looking WRX with it a few months ago. I got the jump on him from a dead stop and he was never going to catch me. Maybe if he did a major launch and had better reaction time, he would have done a little better... Considering your car is a Stage 2 and the Maxima only lost by 2 car lengths, I'd say thats pretty impressive for a big sedan.
    2003 WRX Sedan
    2004 Nissan Xterra SE 4x4

Originally posted by angus141
    I like those wheels you have. Do you have a better shot of them.Not too happy with the stock ones
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dsc00101.jpg  
    Last edited by WRXreX; 07-02-2003 at 06:22 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast