Wrx Vs E55 - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Wrx Vs E55 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I hate mercedes....

I hate mercedes.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by EMarkDDS
    Someday, the SL55 AMG will be MINE!
    Ditto on owning a SL55, and ive never liked mercedez myself cause I always associated them w/ old people but thats where i will be when Im a geezer. Actually Mercedes is the only German car I have warmed up to because I feel they are one of the best luxury cars out there (not considering performance).

Here's something funny, I once was in hurry driving the gf's OZ lancer. Riding on my nuts was some German car (could tell by the headlights). I was flying through traffic and there was no way to get by except the lanes that I was weaving in and out of so he continued to follow and we exited the fwy. Still traffic all around, I was ahead of him for a little longer and finally when traffic let up he passed me with a ricer flyby, his hazards on! I didnt know we were racing but ok... Sure made me laugh... yes OZ lancer, Not evo.
    Last edited by WRX-pilot; 07-05-2003 at 03:01 PM.
    2003 WRX WR Blue Pearl

Originally posted by ebr0t
    I LOVE THE NEW E55... absolutely awsome.... there was one next to me on the highway a while ago... wanted to see it smoke me....
    Those things are absurdly fast! I was driving next to one at about 60 mph on the freeway, and he decides to get on it. That stately, a-little-too-dignified ship-o-the-street accelerated to 85 mph in about 2 seconds. I was like staring with my mouth open...
    Last edited by JohnZim63; 07-06-2003 at 06:44 PM.
    2002 WRB 5-spd: K&N drop-in, silencer hack, Samco IC hoses, Godspeed uppipe, Bosal downpipe w/stock 3rd cat, Tanabe RM catback, TB Racing crank pulley, Tanabe GF-210 springs, Koni Sport strut inserts, Group N tranny & motor mounts, Whiteline rack bushings, Kartboy rear-sway endlinks & shifter, Goodridge ss brakelines, Akebono ProACT front pads

Re: Wrx Vs E55

Originally posted by soulsweeper
    I raced an E55 on a roll last night. The old body style. I'm guessing like 2000 or before.
    I do not know if that was a REAL E55 or not, considering the fact that I won. I only won by a car and a half. Is that possible? We raced til about 110? Or I went to 110 for sure.
    My mods are turbo back exhaust, intake, boosting 19psi with vf22, sti injectors, fuel pump and Engine Mgmt.
    I thought it would take me, because it was on a roll....but since I took it...I'm thinking maybe it wasn't E55? Let me know what you guys think.
    -soul
    Yes, it's possible. A friend of mine has last year's E55, which I've driven extensively. It's really strong from highway speeds (the trans is very willing to downshift and it's got lots of torque), but is kinda pokey at lower speeds. I took this car up my favorite windy road hill and was quite unimpressed. The 4 speed trans is a problem, as is the handling...the thing just plows with the little traction control light coming on all the time. It would be a great car for a long high speed trip, but it's no dragster. I'm pretty sure that my Cobb stage 1 wagon would be more than a match for this thing in the hills...and compared to my C5 this thing is a veritable slug.

From what I've read in the tests the new supercharged versions are way fast in a staight line, but compared to the previous version handle even worse and have some funky braking issues. Once again, a great car for high speed travel, but not so good for other things.

Dan

Re: Re: Wrx Vs E55

Originally posted by dangrass
    Yes, it's possible. A friend of mine has last year's E55, which I've driven extensively. It's really strong from highway speeds (the trans is very willing to downshift and it's got lots of torque), but is kinda pokey at lower speeds. I took this car up my favorite windy road hill and was quite unimpressed. The 4 speed trans is a problem, as is the handling...the thing just plows with the little traction control light coming on all the time. It would be a great car for a long high speed trip, but it's no dragster. I'm pretty sure that my Cobb stage 1 wagon would be more than a match for this thing in the hills...and compared to my C5 this thing is a veritable slug.

From what I've read in the tests the new supercharged versions are way fast in a staight line, but compared to the previous version handle even worse and have some funky braking issues. Once again, a great car for high speed travel, but not so good for other things.

Dan
    just to clarify, the old E55 had a 5-speed. the new ones are a lot faster like you said, and the handling, with the e500, and e55, you can raise and lower the car, and set 3 different suspension modes, the handling is much better with sport 2...the brakes take some getting used to. they are the only brakes in a sedan.
    2004 WR Blue WRX Auto with CBE.

Originally posted by EMarkDDS
    Isn't that what i said?

BTW, how do you like your C32 AMG? I just love Mercedes. Someday, the SL55 AMG will be MINE!
    Yes, that's what you said; it's just the "if it's not careful" part that caused me to reply.

I love the C32! I have lowered it with RENNtech springs which helps the handling tremendously. I've driven all the AMG models at the AMG Challenge; last year at Summit Point, this year at Lime Rock. We autocrossed in SL55's at Lime Rock and my hot laps on the track were in a new E55 and CL55. Awesome cars!

For people with the "yea but it's an automatic" you need to drive the Speedshift transmission and see how well you can control the gearing. Manual mode shifts only by driver input with the steering wheel controls.

As far as the handling comments by Dan, you have to remember the E55 isn't a 3,100 LB WRX and you probably need to learn to drive a car like the E55. When I went for a ride with David Hobbs on the track in the old E55 he had no problem making it handle as he flew around the track while casually holding a conversation with me. I rode with Scott Bradley of World Challenge Mazda team in the SL55 at Lime Rock and he proceeded to get four wheels off the ground at the hill crest. Better than any roller coaster I've been on before!
    2003 Subaru WRX Sedan 5 spd.
    Platinum Silver, TurboXS Stage 3 and lots of other goodies. See profile.

2002 Mercedes Benz C32 AMG

2005 Lotus Elise on order

Is the steering whell shifter the paddles? Something like 200 milliseconds for shifting gears.

As for the SL55, yeah Mercedes has gotten a rep as a car for retirees, but MAN, 493hp and convertible hard top??

I'm also looking at the SLK 32 AMG, but for a guy my size (6'2", 210lbs), I don't know if a car that small would be comfortable.

On the AMG's that have the steering wheel controls there are little buttons behind the wheel; upshift by pushing one, downshift by pushing the other. Not all the AMG's have this feature at this point. It's not on the C32 or SLK32; you just shift by using the shifter. Tap to the left to downshift, right to upshift. You can also hold the shifter to the left for a second and the transmission will automatically downshift to the lowest gear that won't over rev the engine. This feature is great when you're blasting in to a slow corner under hard braking and want to be in the proper gear to blast out.

I'm your size and the SLK32 may be a little small. It's really fast but lacks the rack and pinion steering of the C32 and the rest of the AMG line up. The brakes also lack the cross-drilled feature and "AMG" branded brembo calipers. It is a little outdated and will soon be replaced with a new model that you may find more to your liking.
    2003 Subaru WRX Sedan 5 spd.
    Platinum Silver, TurboXS Stage 3 and lots of other goodies. See profile.

2002 Mercedes Benz C32 AMG

2005 Lotus Elise on order

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.