Watch out for the G35 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Watch out for the G35 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Oh there will still be a turbo engine but it will be in a diesel or a tiny K series ...

Oh there will still be a turbo engine but it will be in a diesel or a tiny K series car that only has barely over a liter of displacement. I'll summorize the article on pg 249 in Options mag for you. By the build numbers and years for several car that are confirmed dead models.
    JZA80 sales totoals in Japan per year
    1999- 810
    2000- 470
    2001- 400
    R34 GTR
    1999- 5536
    2000- 1859
    2001- 2197
    S15 Silvia
    1999- 18000
    2000- 9000
    2001- 6300
    FD3S RX7
    1999- 4151
    2000- 2611
    2001- no numbers available from Mazda
    Compared to a van that Honda sells in Japan
    1999- 90496
    2000- 79271
    2001- 110014

It says that the turbo engine is dead because of requirements to come out this year in Japan for emissions which are said to be even harder to pass then the CA requirements. Even Diesel trucks will be required to buy some $800 cats to put on and keep on. So it will be hard enough to pass a 3.5L V6 can you imagine trying to pass a 3.5L twin turbo model? Renault decided that there isn't enough of a market to justify the making of a GTR anymore and if you look at the sales numbers it does shed some light on as to why Nissan was bought out and almost filed for bankruptcy. If the GTR ever comes back it will be in badging only in the US. It will likely just be a RWD (GTS-T) with a V8 in it and a GTR badge. Kind of like the Toyota Soarer is in the US. In Japan its a Toyota Soarer with a 2.5L six cylinder twin turbo RWD but in the US its a Lexus with a V8 and a A/T. The only cars that are likely to hang around in turbo form are going to be the Evo and the WRX for now. Also even NZ is going to require modifications to cars coming from Japan to meet new standards.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

So true, I think that must be the reason Subi slapped 3 cats on the WRX to have it certified a LEV, EVO might be going the same route.

They are raising gas tax around me so I am glad I am getting a fast turbo 4 than a big a** 3.5 which sux on gas even when u r crusing
    around town.

The state troopers must be smiling since they are gonna have a LOT of fast luxso cars to catch hahahah
    What mods, dude this baby is stock
    2002 Platinum Silver 5spd sedan.

The R34 was the last of the RB Skylines anyways. But just because the RB is dead, and probably the VG35DETT, doesn't mean the GTR is dead.

One of the main reasons that they were going to a shared platform was for cost reduction. The GTR Concept was built on the same chassis as the 350Z. I do believe you are right about where the skyline is heading, It will probably be a dirrect competitor to the SC430. Most likely with a 4.5 V8. We can hope they will keep the 4wd option though.

Re: Watch out for the G35

Originally posted by ticrab
    Not out yet... still, will be certainly mentionned on this board in April looking for us and our WRXs!

Honestly, I think it's a very nice car. I like the shape of it. I'll try to test drive one as soon as I can.
    There are pics there:
    http://www.infiniti.com/discover/Dis...,9277,,00.html
    Click on Future Models

Infiniti G35

Engine 3.5L DOHC V6 with molybdenum-coated pistons (260 hp @ 6000 RPM, 260 lb-ft of torque @ 4800 RPM)

Compression Ratio 10:3

Induction System sequential multi-point fuel injection

Maximum Vehicle Speed* 142 miles per hour

Maximum Engine Speed 6,600
    Valvetrain 4 valves per cylinder

Intake Cam variable intake, hydraulic cam

Recommended Fuel premium unleaded

Exhaust Pipe dual tip straight with dual chrome muffler

Exhaust Muffler variable-flow rear muffler

Drive configuration front-engine/rear-wheel drive

Transmission electronically controlled 5-speed automatic with manual shift mode

Suspension front and rear multi-link independent

Brakes front and rear vented disc with power-assisted brake control

Steering Type power-assisted engine-speed sensitive rack-and-pinion
    I'll own em anyways... it's not the skyline.. it's just the baby skyline

Jorge (RiftsWRX)
    www.ProjectWRX.com

Originally posted by WRXrumble
    I am glad I am getting a fast turbo 4 than a big a** 3.5 which sux on gas even when u r crusing
    around town.
    If you're getting it for fuel economy, you're up for a big surprise.

Originally posted by Lord Humongous

If you're getting it for fuel economy, you're up for a big surprise.
    Ha ha! I know I sure was!

The statement Nissan made and the Options Mag article are now starting to drive up the prices on the older GTR's. Since the RB motors and the GTR are both listed as being dead designs. Nissan can't afford to build them anytime in the next few years or until their financial status seriously takes a turn for the better. Nissan in the past had said that they were actually losing money on each GTR built. As much as I hate the new Skyline they are selling the hell out of them. No turbo and four doors makes it a average family car again.

I still can't believe that some companies still think that throwing away money like that is a good marketing idea. Like the Concorde. Air France never made any money out of it. It was only about the prestige. Thinking people will eventually buy some of their other products down the road.... I thought Nissan was smarter than that.

On a different topic, can the Concorde use naaaaawwwwwwwsssss? Sorry.... this fast and the furious movie is cracking me up...... I can't help it.
    Last edited by ticrab; 03-15-2002 at 02:55 PM.
    WRX by Nature
    www.fresnowrx.com

God
    If the GTR comes to the US with turbo I'm buying one. No ifs ands or buts. It's such a shame to see such legendary cars not selling in Japan. Partly is the bad economy in Japan I think. I still want a JZA-80. Sigh. . . . .
    Daniel Ponze, Lead Tuner Tuning Factory, Inc.
    PH: (248) 477-0700___FX: (248) 477-0701

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12