WRX vs. Eclipse GST(?) modded - LONG
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on WRX vs. Eclipse GST(?) modded - LONG within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Well this morning I left from the lake cuz my friend had to be at work, so I was kinda ...

WRX vs. Eclipse GST(?) modded - LONG

Well this morning I left from the lake cuz my friend had to be at work, so I was kinda in a hurry, anyway i'm minding my own business on US 231 S and then I notice a white lowered Eclipse with a hideous top windshield banner/decal is tailing me at about 85mph. So i'm like "WTF did this car come from?" Anyway so I kinda gun it to about 105 maybe and it looks like it tried to catch up but didnt so I maintained that speed for about 3 miles until we got to a light. She recklessly weaves in and out to get ahead of me before the light and succeeds and I see the "GS-T" sticker on the back, but it looked a little too "fresh" to be on an earlier model body style (mid to late 90's model) I also noticed it was an auto and she was from ohio and her license was like "something QT" ( All I remmeber is seeing the qt and thinking how gay) Also were some decals on the side rear window advertising some performance shop so I'm assuming it was modded not only with those decals to make it fast but possibly a CAI. Still not sure about GS-T, i've never really seen one except at commuting speed. Anyway she keeps on trying to catch up and I took my hands off the wheel to stretch and I guess she saw and gunned it. But she didn't stay ahead but about 10 seconds. She kept tailing me for maybe 25 miles and then she got really determined. I saw here blinker so I put it in 4th (I now know how shh!tty this gear is) and I put her down for all she had. I blew her away but 4th gear I noticed did suck, not near as punchy as third. Anyway about 5 mins later we come to a stop sign and she won't even look at me, but I can tell she is going to floor it. I decide not too (now that i look back on it, i should've) and she makes her tires screech and rides off, didn't look that impressive, but I just accelerated normally and by the time she got to 70 I was casually rolling by her. This is the first time I've ever done something like this but I wouldn't really call it racing. She was just one of those people who have to be in front of all the cars at one time, hehe. She was the typical ricer, seat tilted all the way back with two hands on the wheel at all times. What a joke.

Anyway I assume this was not a GS-T and just a regluar rs. I was impressed that she didnt have a huge airplane wing on her trunk and not too much rice. aside from the decals. She also had 18" rims and it was lowered. But anyway by the sound of this what was under her hood? I was somewhat surprised at her acceleration in the 70-100 range but am wondering if she had some sort of limiter on her car since she would never do a ricer fly-by at 115.

Sorry about length, I just got home and never have done something like this.
    Last edited by Chunks; 06-29-2003 at 11:22 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Re: WRX vs. Eclipse GST(?) modded - LONG

Originally posted by Chunks
    Well this morning I left from the lake cuz my friend had to be at work, so I was kinda in a hurry, anyway i'm minding my own business on US 231 S and then I notice a white lowered Eclipse with a hideous top windshield banner/decal is tailing me at about 85mph. So i'm like "WTF did this car come from?" Anyway so I kinda gun it to about 105 maybe and it looks like it tried to catch up but didnt so I maintained that speed for about 3 miles until we got to a light. She recklessly weaves in and out to get ahead of me before the light and succeeds and I see the "GS-T" sticker on the back, but it looked a little too "fresh" to be on an earlier model body style (mid to late 90's model) I also noticed it was an auto and she was from ohio and her license was like "something QT" ( All I remmeber is seeing the qt and thinking how gay) Also were some decals on the side rear window advertising some performance shop so I'm assuming it was modded not only with those decals to make it fast but possibly a CAI. Still not sure about GS-T, i've never really seen one except at commuting speed. Anyway she keeps on trying to catch up and I took my hands off the wheel to stretch and I guess she saw and gunned it. But she didn't stay ahead but about 10 seconds. She kept tailing me for maybe 25 miles and then she got really determined. I saw here blinker so I put it in 4th (I now know how shh!tty this gear is) and I put her down for all she had. I blew her away but 4th gear I noticed did suck, not near as punchy as third. Anyway about 5 mins later we come to a stop sign and she won't even look at me, but I can tell she is going to floor it. I decide not too (now that i look back on it, i should've) and she makes her tires screech and rides off, didn't look that impressive, but I just accelerated normally and by the time she got to 70 I was casually rolling by her. This is the first time I've ever done something like this but I wouldn't really call it racing. She was just one of those people who have to be in front of all the cars at one time, hehe. She was the typical ricer, seat tilted all the way back with two hands on the wheel at all times. What a joke.

Anyway I assume this was not a GS-T and just a regluar rs. I was impressed that she didnt have a huge airplane wing on her trunk and not too much rice. aside from the decals. She also had 18" rims and it was lowered. But anyway by the sound of this what was under her hood, I was somewhat surprised at her acceleration in the 70-100 range but am wondering if she had some sort of limiter on her car since she would never do a ricer fly-by at 115.

Sorry about length, I just got home and never have done something like this.
    Two hands on the wheel good idea for quick handling...

RN

yeah i know, but im talking about the fists touching each other on the top of the wheel. I dunno... maybe i shouldn't of made that comment It's just the seat all the way back thing that I hate. Why don't they just take the back of it off if they aren't going to lean against it.

yeah i know, but im talking about the fists touching each other on the top of the wheel. I dunno... maybe i shouldn't of made that comment It's just the seat all the way back thing that I hate. Why don't they just take the back of it off if they aren't going to lean against it.
    Oh, okay...I never drive like that. A couple friends of mine drive like me...sitting up, not too far off the pedals...and the rest hate to drive a car after us thanks to that.

RN

But i'm not a person to have that stiff-armed proped up on the top of the wheel either, my hands are usually at the bottom of the wheel. Kind've womanly way to drive heh... but what the hell.

But i'm not a person to have that stiff-armed proped up on the top of the wheel either, my hands are usually at the bottom of the wheel. Kind've womanly way to drive heh... but what the hell.
    I drive that way most of the time. I'm lazy. But if I get into a twisty road and really wanna take off, hand placement changes and I go from 1 hand to both hands on wheel (not on the top of the wheel), except when shifting.

RN

2nd gen FWDs do have a speed limiter but it's at 135 mph. It's easily defeated by opening up the ECU and cutting a lead to one of the resistors.

Those tiny turbos are just hard as hell to make fast. All the mods you can do to one will put it *maybe* even with a stock WRX.

Then automatic owners have even more work to do. They've got to swap out the torque converter for a higher stall and then beef up the tranny for more line pressure and firmer shifts.

By then, they've spent a small fortune.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

K...So it really could've been a GS-T (I assume they weren't too fast because the new spyders 0-60 is like 7.2)

They are pretty quick. The only bad thing about the GS-T's are that they don't get any traction. All they will do is spin the tires. It will even roast them in 2nd gear. I still think it's a great car. If it was a GSX it would have been a drivers race. But for very little money, I have seen GS-T's run low 13's.
    293.2 hp to the ground
    267 lb/ft torque to the ground
    VF-30 Setup

did u hear a bov at all the whole time? if not then it probably wasnt really a gs-t. i never got to race a rs or gs in my civic yet, id like to know how close it would be
    "I put two and two together and decided - you're pissin' me off."

When I had my stage 2 on my car, I raced my buddies GS-T and I blew him away and he races for a living.

He was VERY impressed with my car and the way it walked away from him.

They are fast, but with a stage 1 or 2 under your hood, you should have no probelm with a lot of those cars.

I really love the looks of the older ones though, they just look great!
    Stage IV+
    Going for 11's

I don't think it was a gs-t then, because I smoked her and i'm stock, must've been a lightly modified base model.

I obsolutely owned a gst from a roll. He was def. catless but had the stock muffler, like me

Actually a GST would have been better than a GSX in this situation, being that they were moving and there would be less of a drivetrain power loss.

Anyway, it most likely wasn't a GST, because these cars are actually somewhat faster than you think (210 stock hp compared to WRX's 227 stock hp I believe). A GST with a 2-3k can most likely have 300-325 hp.

I own a GST, and if it were a 95-96 it would have had gray trim along the bottom, that's the only way to know in those two years, however if it were a 97-99, it would look like this attached image.

However, nice kill either way.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails eclipse 093 small.jpg  

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.