XT (1/4 mile in 13.8) versus WRX - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on XT (1/4 mile in 13.8) versus WRX within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Ok, I can agree that the XT is faster than a stock WRX. But what I have to say is ...

Ok, I can agree that the XT is faster than a stock WRX. But what I have to say is why? I can not understand why Subaru would make a station wagon faster than there wrc based sport sedan. I think that it is kick ass that the XT is fast but it just doesnt match up. Why would you make a station wagon faster than your performance car that is suppose to be the fastest/quickest/best all around performer and the icon of Subaru's performance benchmark that was set by the WRX in the states, (besides the limited edition Sti). P.S what in the hell is the XT's competion?
    Sold: 2002 WRX
    w/VS0 best of 13.5 at 97.5

New: 2003 Silverado

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by abbo7
    Ok, I can agree that the XT is faster than a stock WRX. But what I have to say is why? P.S what in the hell is the XT's competion?
    It should put to shame Mitsubishi's Ralliart wagon for a start. As well as lesser Volvo family haulers with sporting pretentions. It goes well with Subarus move to make performance versions of all their cars. I would never have considered a semi-ute until the XT came out. This car is sweet. Short shifting a test drive car at 4k it really feels like a small v8. NO turbo lag at all, unbelievable torque. And it feels like it's just getting started, unlike v8's. Handles relatively flat around town. I don't think I'm going to wait for the Legacy turbo.

I drove one today...it's seriously quick. Lots of low end torque and very strong midrange. It reminded me of the feel of the WRX with a MBC....really strong torque. I didn't rev it beyond 4k, but didn't really need to. I only wish they'd put this motor in the WRX. As for weight, I got the brochure and it says the thing weighs a tad over 3k lbs., really not much different than a WRX. Oh, the transmission is wonderful. It's a 5 speed, but must be based on the new 6 speed...very smooth. The only downside seems to be fuel economy, which is seriously funky at 18/23 for a MT. Very nice car to drive overall.

dangrass,

I guess those brick-like aerodynamics are bad for fuel economy.

-Jim

Originally posted by PlatinumWRX
    dangrass,

I guess those brick-like aerodynamics are bad for fuel economy.

-Jim
    I suspect the aerodynamics are a contributing factor, but the city number is pretty lousy in it's own right. The non-turbo version is a whole lot better at 21/28, so the turbo motor must be significantly less fuel efficient. (albeit significantly more powerful)

BTW, the weight is actually ~3,200 lbs. per the brochure.

Originally posted by abbo7
    Ok, I can agree that the XT is faster than a stock WRX. But what I have to say is why? I can not understand why Subaru would make a station wagon faster than there wrc based sport sedan. I think that it is kick ass that the XT is fast but it just doesnt match up. Why would you make a station wagon faster than your performance car that is suppose to be the fastest/quickest/best all around performer and the icon of Subaru's performance benchmark that was set by the WRX in the states, (besides the limited edition Sti). P.S what in the hell is the XT's competion?
    Do you suppose the base WRX is going to get the 2.5 liter motor as well???? A great combo in my opinion.

I didn't read all the posts, but did anyone bring up how one of the mags got like a 13.8 and the other got a 15.xx

There's something up here. I hope it runs 13.8s, wouldn't mind having some competition from a Subbie other than the STi.

j/k fellas
    2000 LS1 Camaro M6

Your question has been answered previously...

15.xx (in at least one mag) was a guesstimate, and not an actual time. Also, you have to account for MT vs. AT. The C&D 13.8 car was a MT. AT could lose a second or so.

VV

Originally posted by Simp
    I didn't read all the posts, but did anyone bring up how one of the mags got like a 13.8 and the other got a 15.xx

There's something up here. I hope it runs 13.8s, wouldn't mind having some competition from a Subbie other than the STi.

j/k fellas

I think it is a matter of time before the 2.5L turbo finds itself in the regular ol' WRX. There is a problem with fuel economy though, Subaru is getting very close to not meeting fleet economy standards.

Light-pressure 2.0L turbo hybrid should be offered. First AWD hybrid vehicles in America would work well with Soobie's "something other than a SUV" advertising campaign.

-B

Originally posted by VetteVert
    Your question has been answered previously...

15.xx (in at least one mag) was a guesstimate, and not an actual time. Also, you have to account for MT vs. AT. The C&D 13.8 car was a MT. AT could lose a second or so.

VV
    oooohhh, true true.
    2000 LS1 Camaro M6

They need to put this motor in the USDM WRX, NOW.
    FUNKED1
    GO PETTER & TOMMI!!!

Originally posted by Beanboy
    I think it is a matter of time before the 2.5L turbo finds itself in the regular ol' WRX. There is a problem with fuel economy though, Subaru is getting very close to not meeting fleet economy standards.

Light-pressure 2.0L turbo hybrid should be offered. First AWD hybrid vehicles in America would work well with Soobie's "something other than a SUV" advertising campaign.

-B
    Turbo would be perfect for a hybrid. Lag is not a factor for a hybrid because the engine spends most of the time running at best rpm. Also one of those Audi hoopty-CVT's would work well. NOT the old DAF based CVT from the Justy.

They could offer it on a few models as well. Wouldn't cost Subaru all that much since the engine bays and layouts are so similar.

Heck, I bet GM would be in on the deal as well.

-B

I might try to drive an XT today when I pick up my car from service. Maybe I can have the sales rep bring a stopwatch

Gears Gears Gears. Look at the gears they put in those things! Those are drag strip gears! Too bad it tops out at 110mph. It's only good for the 1/4!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast