GTI vs. RSX - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on GTI vs. RSX within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I didn't like the RSX that much. Ive been in both the type s and normal models and the only ...

I didn't like the RSX that much. Ive been in both the type s and normal models and the only difference to me is that it got louder! I dont like the the way they look. Its a cross between the Focus and Celica and it looks pissed off or something.

I would rather get the GTI 337. I just hear that they have window problems and that its costly to get it serviced anywhere. Plus I mean you can even get the K04 upgrade turbo and it supposedly puts 250 down. I dunno I read it somewhere.
    2004 G35
    1989 240SXw/CA18DET

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by nnkfws333
    I didn't like the RSX that much. Ive been in both the type s and normal models and the only difference to me is that it got louder!
    No offense, but you either shifted at 4grand everytime or you are just a terrible driver. There is a HUGE difference between the Base and Type S...like 40hp.

That's like driving an STI and a WRX and saying the only difference was that it was louder

AS far as looks go, that's subjective, thank god. Because you're the one putting down $20+k for the car. You should drive them and make your own opinion...
    2005 NBP Accord EX-V6 6MT
    AEM CAI, HFP aerokit, Comptech SS
    17" Enkei RS7s on YokoES100 tires

Having driven both, I would take the GTI in a second. I do not care for the styling of the RSX, and I thought the interior was reprehensible, especially the guages. Whereas the GTI interior, especially the gauges, is so nice it made me think twice about getting my WRX. I love the exterior styling of the GTI as well, and they look damn good with the 17" Mosoon wheels, and the 337's BBS are just sick. The Acura will have less quirky problems, but both cars have engines and drivetrains that will probably last 200K miles if well taken care of. As for modding, the GTI and the RSX are pretty much the same, ECU, exhaust and then it gets expensive. Both will get you to about 14.0 in the 1/4 and then the big money needs to be rolled out.

Just to correct Smokey, a MBC is about $30, and with one, a WRX can run a 13.5 with a very good driver. WRXs can go about 13.0 before the stock turbo/fuel system need to go out the window.

Sorry for the ramble, hope it made sense.

-joe (die hard VW guy who LOVES his WRX)
    '02 WRB Sedan

Removed silencer w/ Akimoto Velocity Stack, Blitz Dual TT, Autospeed Prototype Up-pipe w/ Flex-joint, Autospeed Crank Pulley, Autospeed OEM Dead Pedal, Samco IC Hoses, Axxis Pads, Goodridge Lines, Neo Synth Brake Fluid, Speedbleeders, Eibach Pro-Kit, Perrin Endlinks and Rear Sway, 17" Sub Zeros w/ 225/45 ES100s, Crucial Racing Thermostat and 1.4bar Radiator Cap, Autometer Sport-Comp Oil Pressure, EGT, and Voltmeter on the A-Pillar, STI Hoodscoop.

Originally posted by NJwrbT-WRX
    As for modding, the GTI and the RSX are pretty much the same, ECU, exhaust and then it gets expensive. Both will get you to about 14.0 in the 1/4 and then the big money needs to be rolled out.

Just to correct Smokey, a MBC is about $30, and with one, a WRX can run a 13.5 with a very good driver. WRXs can go about 13.0 before the stock turbo/fuel system need to go out the window.

With a very good driver, an RSX-S with Hondata and CAI "can" hit 13.8...but I try not to let people think its the norm. I highly doubt too many people with an MBC are hitting 13.5s, but maybe I'm wrong (and I understand that you pointed that out already).

BTW, what would you define as "rolling out the major bucks?" Just curious...

Thanks for the clarification on the MBC. That's amazing that you can spend $30 and get such nice improvements.

I know there is a 40hp difference Im just saying how both cars feel the same to me and how in my opinion they didnt really make a drastic change from the integra to the RSX other than making the engine sound louder. I was not impressed with the design of the K series engine.

I was really just meaning to say how it was a waste of money to buy either cars because they are over priced. I hope they discontinue it actually because my friend thinks his RSX is the fastest car in the world with his glow shiftknob and matching colored lugnuts. Good thing I put him in his place when we were cruising around some turns with my S13. I dont want to start a war but this is my opinion.
    2004 G35
    1989 240SXw/CA18DET

The RSX-S is a typical Honda based car... great quality but you have to rev the thing to the end of the tach to make crap for power...

the GTI automatically has the advantage over the RSX in the easy to mod department thanks to the turbo... It has damn nice torque with the K03 (small, but effective for the 1.8) and with some simple upgrades.. chip... exhaust.. and a fun turbo upgrade... u'll be running away from a lot more than an RSX-S
    STIwish
    -------------------
    03 Subaru WRX Sedan WR Blue -
    RIP

Originally posted by nnkfws333
    I know there is a 40hp difference Im just saying how both cars feel the same to me and how in my opinion they didnt really make a drastic change from the integra to the RSX other than making the engine sound louder. I was not impressed with the design of the K series engine.

I was really just meaning to say how it was a waste of money to buy either cars because they are over priced. I hope they discontinue it actually because my friend thinks his RSX is the fastest car in the world with his glow shiftknob and matching colored lugnuts. Good thing I put him in his place when we were cruising around some turns with my S13.
    Without belaboring the point, there are many differences between the DC5 and the DC2..and we're quicky finding out how "mod-happy" the K series engine is. We've already got a guy knocking on 12s, totally N/A (yes, I realze this is nothing compared to the Rex).

Seriously, the K series is amazing and there are so many positives to it, its just ridiculous. They have put it through stenuous tests and its still making power to 9K rpms on some applications! The power is there, the mods are there...just give it a little more time and you will see the IMO distinct advantages it has over the B series engines.

ARe you one of those guys that claims the Type S isn't faster than the GS-R? Lol, sorry, your "attitude" reminds me of some of these guys.

Like I said, to each his own. I'm sorry your friend is an idiot and I'm sorry that he seems to have clouded your objectivity on this subject. No worries, seems like you'll never own one so it doesn't really matter!

AS far as "why you're not impressed with the K series" do you mind elaborating? Maybe I can clear some misconceptions up, if you have any.

Late

Originally posted by smokey
    With a very good driver, an RSX-S with Hondata and CAI "can" hit 13.8...but I try not to let people think its the norm. I highly doubt too many people with an MBC are hitting 13.5s, but maybe I'm wrong (and I understand that you pointed that out already).

BTW, what would you define as "rolling out the major bucks?" Just curious...

Thanks for the clarification on the MBC. That's amazing that you can spend $30 and get such nice improvements.
    By major bucks I mean bigger turbo or adding a turbo or supercharger, stroking, forged internals, stuff like that. Major bucks also implies "not bolt on" or "not for the novice", so install plus parts = major bucks!!! I do not know the RSX very well, but I remember some of your posts and others saying that it is easy to mod up to a point and then it does not take well to more mods unless you go big. I am pretty sure the GTI is basically the same.

And you are correct, a 13.5 is not the norm, but it is possible, after all, 14.0 bone stock was not common, but it was done many times, just as 13.5 with MBC was done many times.

-joe
    '02 WRB Sedan

Removed silencer w/ Akimoto Velocity Stack, Blitz Dual TT, Autospeed Prototype Up-pipe w/ Flex-joint, Autospeed Crank Pulley, Autospeed OEM Dead Pedal, Samco IC Hoses, Axxis Pads, Goodridge Lines, Neo Synth Brake Fluid, Speedbleeders, Eibach Pro-Kit, Perrin Endlinks and Rear Sway, 17" Sub Zeros w/ 225/45 ES100s, Crucial Racing Thermostat and 1.4bar Radiator Cap, Autometer Sport-Comp Oil Pressure, EGT, and Voltmeter on the A-Pillar, STI Hoodscoop.

Originally posted by NJwrbT-WRX
    By major bucks I mean bigger turbo or adding a turbo or supercharger, stroking, forged internals, stuff like that. Major bucks also implies "not bolt on" or "not for the novice", so install plus parts = major bucks!!! I do not know the RSX very well, but I remember some of your posts and others saying that it is easy to mod up to a point and then it does not take well to more mods unless you go big. I am pretty sure the GTI is basically the same.

And you are correct, a 13.5 is not the norm, but it is possible, after all, 14.0 bone stock was not common, but it was done many times, just as 13.5 with MBC was done many times.

-joe
    I hear you man.

I think the suppliers and kits available for the RSX are increasing day by day, but it still is "major" bucks to upgrade past a certain point, so I agree with you.

For example, with my state of mods, I believe I'd hit low 14s (highest hit so far with my mods and better tires is 13.8).

For me to continue on the N/A route, my next logical step would be one of two things:

1. ITR cams, ITR manifold, K20A Hondata reflash (8800rpm fuel cutoff), Jackson Racing Header and test pipe.

I'd imagine this would cost me quite a bit of money (probably about $1600 w/out instillation). This would net me mid 13s.

2. Toda kit which has toda cams, (not sure about the manifold, but you'd definitely need one since the Toda cams have "better" lift so you'd need more breathing room up top for sure), Toda reflash (9K rpms fuel cutoff), Toda valvesprings, racing header, test pipe.

This is more money than route 1 for sure. I think that's good for mid to low 13s.

Then you could get the Hytech kit, which they're saying puts down 230whp (stage 1) which is good for about 13 flat. If you got drag radials, probably high 12s.

Now there is also an abundance of F/I kits...JRSC ($2600 w/out install), Cybernation (3 stages, good for 200+whp to 450+whp), Greddy turbo kits, etc...

But you're 100% correct, to go much futher up the chain than I am, you'd either better be an expert mechanic or have some loot to throw at installs.

I Just felt bad for two of my friends...one who had a type s and one with the base. I believe one was a 2003 and other was 2002. I mean they were consuming oil like no tomorrow and bad tranny grinding. My friend with the 03 Type S had to get his tranny replaced twice because of the grinding and saved up so much money for a new car after driving a beat up car his whole life. He actually had them refund his money after a long month of complaining. I mean this kid was working two jobs just to save up and he was so disappointed. They also mentioned about electronics problem like lights staying on. I.E. Check engine lights and all.
    2004 G35
    1989 240SXw/CA18DET

That's too bad...but as far as those problems go (except for the 2nd gear grind found in the '02 models) they are about as frequent as the WRX tranny problems that get blown out of propotion.

As far as the CEL, was that from the oil consumption or did he have a race header/test pipe combo or something?

But you're right, you don't want to see your good friends work their butts off and then run into these types of problems.

Actually it was all stock, something with the gas lid and abs brakes being on. Oh well, he's happy he got a really good deal. He got a friend who has a like 98/99 or something M3....and as soon as he got the car he got a new job and they gave him a company car. So he barely drove the M3. He sold it to my friend with only 10 months left on the lease with only 15k miles and then he talked to Fields BMW and they said he can buy the rest of the car for like 16,000 so he was really stoked! Pimped out in an M3...heh...good things happen to good people...

Lets just hope I win at Vegas so I can get my motor. I wanted a WRX but insurance was too high and my company's job security sucks right now. So only way I can get boost is an SR motor.

Got any pics of your Type S?
    2004 G35
    1989 240SXw/CA18DET

My buddies got a '97 M3..those cars are simply amazing IMO. I guess good things did happen to your hard-working buddy and he certainly got a much better car out of it! In retrospect, he should be happy

My RSX-S looks totally stock. I have not lowered it, no body kit, etc... I like the fact that when someone pulls next to me, I am "stock" as far as they are concerned.

I am "all go" and "no show..." As far as I'm concerned, what's the point of looking fast (I should say "quick") if you can't back it up? Know what I mean? I guess you could say I am the Anti-Ricer.

smokey, sometimes you are too nice.

I think it is kind of funny how people talk about having to rev this engine ALL the way to 8000rpm to get any power, as if stepping on the gas pedal is somehow harder in the RSX than it is in a TDi.

I do understand how some people think it is unnatural to have to rev to get power. I let my friend drive my car a couple weeks ago (he drives a Taurus) and I told him to go for it (but no downshifting!!!). He wouldn't shift any higher than 6000rpm because it was just 'wrong' to rev 'that high'. Finally he did and his face went from to
    2002 RSX Type S
    Anyone want to buy my car?

I would say get a rex but I have driven both a number of times to say get the gti
    Stage 4 (vf34) + tmic + mbc

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast