WRX vs. Galant VR4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX vs. Galant VR4 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I pulled up to the red light right next to VR4. Hearing all the good stories about VR4, I've decided ...

WRX vs. Galant VR4

I pulled up to the red light right next to VR4. Hearing all the good stories about VR4, I've decided to test how fast it is. As usual, I started out slow trying to see if he's interested. As I shifted to second, I heard him going WOT and BOV sound. We were pretty close at the beginning of 2nd gear, but toward the end of 2nd gear, I started to pull hard on him. In overall, I pulled about 2 car lengths when I slowed down around 70 - 80mph. It had exhaust, BOV and probably MBC or intake. Civic EX with BPU kept chasing me after watching the race. he tried all he can to instigate race... I kept ignoring him knowing the outcome of the race.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Galant VR4? In the states? Do you mean 3000GT?
    03 Cobra
    566whp/515wtq

Pics
    & Dyno
    Pics

It makes me sad to think there are plenty of people driving who don't know what a Galant VR4 is. Then again, it makes me want mine back too

This might give you an idea:

http://www.dsmtimes.org/galant.htm
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

No no no. I know what they are but I have never seen one in the states. Thanks though.

There are not that many of them, but they are not extremely rare either. I seem them fairly regularly here in Portland.

T.J.
    200,000 mile club.

Old Irish adage: "Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege."

Really. I guess they are mor popular on the east coast. :-/

With a total import of 1500 in 1991 and 1000 in 1992, they are indeed rare. They are more prevalant in areas that get snow, and in northwest.

For some reason, 10 years ago US buyers didn't want to pay $22,000 for a turbo 4 door loaded with options (leather, sunroof, etc) that had AWD and 4 wheel steering.

The one thing I miss from my GVR4 more than any other option is the speed-sensitive wipers. If you put it on intermittant and then speed up, the wipers do to. I've gone from a sweep every 4-5 seconds at 30 mph, then passed somebody and hit 100+ and the wipers went to high right along with me, working their way through the 4 intermittant settings, then low, then high. Or, if you turn them on while driving, then come to a red light, they slow down to the slowest speed so they're not making a racket because of a lack of water.

The instrument panel is also adjustable between amber or green with the push of a button.
    John M
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

Sounds like a pretty neat car. Maybe they will bring it back once the Legacy B4 hits our shores.

Last Galant VR4 I saw was bagged and 3-wheeling at a show...ratty sounding exhaust too.

RN

Originally posted by AjDaMan
    Really. I guess they are mor popular on the east coast. :-/
    Guess I should have been more specific.

Portland, Oregon.
    200,000 mile club.

Old Irish adage: "Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege."

I have never seen a Galant VR-4. I have seen a 3000GT VR4. Does anyone have a pic or stats on these cars.
    Dan- 2004 PSM 5spd

"Days get shorter, nights get longer, snow gets deeper, life gets better."

http://www.gvr4.com

This is more of just a collection of pics & misc stuff, but it's about all there is for Galant VR4 info.

The build quality of the cars is impressive. For the VR4 models, they weld the full lenth of each seam instead of spotwelds. The materials and fit & finish are so much nicer than other Mitsu-built cars.

It's a bit dated looking; boxy on the outside and an 80s-ish BMW type dash.

Here's a shot of my speedo on the way to the 2000 DSM shootout:

http://moojohn.com/dsm/7.jpg
    John M

So what may I ask is special about the Gallant VR-X ?

Geez, I didn't know the Galant VR-4's were that old. I thought they were the last bodystyle.

John,

I am very interested about getting one myself for a 2nd car to drive around all-season. What should I look for when getting used VR-4 beside locating one in the East Coast. Thanks in advance. Tim

ps: why did you sell it?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.