WRX vs. Galant VR4 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on WRX vs. Galant VR4 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Those were my "between job" unemployed days. The car had 105k miles and I put on new brakes, shocks (KYB ...

Those were my "between job" unemployed days. The car had 105k miles and I put on new brakes, shocks (KYB AGX adjustable) and a new clutch, plus had the transmission rebuilt. Then I was set. It looked and drove like a new car.

But, during my normal commute to work (new job) one day, the tranny let go (I think it was a screwup during the rebuild) and everything was again reduced to dust. Since I was too broke to fix it and had just started the job, I had to sell it. I hated to sell it since it was in showroom shape inside and out - not a scratch, perfect leather, power sunroof, etc.

Good GVR4s are worth about $5k. 100k+ miles is the norm but not really a big deal. Find one that has been well kept and has little or no mods. Mods by an experienced DSMer are usually fine. Just make sure it's got a recent timing belt, tensioner, and water pump. The transmission's weakness is the syncros; make sure it shifts into 2nd and 3rd easily.

There are only cosmetic differences between 91 and 92, most notably the rims and the tail lights.

The AutoTrader is your friend. Every now & then you can find a good one but you've got to be willing to travel.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

They had the 4G63 motor in them, didn't they?

Yes, the Galant VR-4s had 4G63 engines in them. They were basically DSMs (Mitsubishi Eclipses/Eagle Talons/Plymouth Lasers) with 4 doors and a longer driveshaft. Cooler IMHO.

Now the Galant GSX was a non-turbo, all-wheel drive version. It gets pretty confusing, doesn't it?
    '02 WRX - RUH ROH - Stage 3.33 - 13.5@100mph

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12