WRX vs LT-1 powered Porsche 944
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX vs LT-1 powered Porsche 944 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey all, ..been awhile since I posted but this race was fun. I came up to a 944 at a ...

WRX vs LT-1 powered Porsche 944

Hey all, ..been awhile since I posted but this race was fun. I came up to a 944 at a stoplight that had its numbers changed to "948" and had stickers for a local porsche speed shop called Black Forest Racing. I could hear the rumble of the engine through the exhaust and I knew it had to be a v8 under the hood. There is just no mistaking the sound of a chevy small block. Anyway he guns it at the light and I stay right on his tail right through the top of third..as I pull out to pass him, traffic comes up so we both slowed down, I pulled in front of him. He pulled up at the next light, rolled down his windows and said "what the hell is that thing!" I told him its a subaru wrx with a 2L four cylinder turbocharged engine. Him: "goddamn! I am embarrassed! I just put a modded IROC LT-1 engine in this car and its making about 340hp..this car runs mid 12's at 110 and I couldnt pull away from you one inch! ..guess I'm gonna have to go back to the shop and find some more power!" and he laughed when I said "hey nothing more money cant fix". Light turned green so I didnt have a chance to chat any further but that was a really satisfying run. V8 porsche 944's..what next!

..hehe, corrected my quick typing. I know porsche makes v8's but they sure as hell didnt make any 944's with 'em ;-) ...I had a 79 eurospec 5spd 928 myself!
    Last edited by twinz; 06-25-2003 at 02:17 PM.
    IHI VF-34, ECUTEK Tuned
    290whp@6300rpms@15.8psi
    247tq@5200rpms@16.9psi
    ( Dynapack Hydraulic dyno )

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Nice race, interesting. I guess that small block isnt exactly light. Nothing like having the power of a V8 with the weight of a 4 cyl.
    2002 WRX Sedan-Silver
    Turbo XS UTEC Stage IV (VF34)+TMIC, STI RA gears, Exedy clutch/flywheel

Porsche has been building V8 for quite some time. I believe the 928 was the first.

Very good job!

X

I just checked, 1978 was the first year they were imported if the web page I was reading is correct.

X

Dude that is an awesome race! At least he was willin to chat w/ you over it, others just sit there and stew quietly.

Good job!

I have a 1979 928. A lot of people drop 350's in to 928's, it's pretty common, but i've never heard of someone doing this to a 944.

Sweet!
    Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator
    TXS Stage 4 UTEC + TMIC + JoeP
    12.75 @ 105.67mph - 1.74 60'

Nice race,

v8 powered porsches, learning something new every day.
    e46 M3 (new toy)
    02 wrx w/257 swap (now sold)
    IS 300 5spd w/ NAV (hers)

At first I thought it was a typo as I thought he meant a 914...to which I've seen numerous of them w/ V8's shoe horned into them. I have no fricken idea how it's squeezed in let alone how you change plugs, but I'm sure they'll scoot.

T.

Originally posted by All8up
    Nice race,

v8 powered porsches, learning something new every day.
    Don't forget that Porsche has a V8 in their Cayenne, even though it is admittedly a different type of vehicle.

One of the stranger hybrids was someone who was putting American V8's into Volvo wagons. I don't remember who it was though.
    2002 WRX WRB

Yes, those guys were dropping Ford's 302 in there. I recall a write up in something like European car and I think there's a web site where someone documents the build up as well as someone who offers a kit that includes motor mounts, etc.

T.

Re: WRX vs LT-1 powered Porsche 944

Originally posted by twinz
    I just put a modded IROC LT-1 engine in this car and its making about 340hp
    Well, the guy obviously has more money than brains if he told you that it was an IROC LT-1 engine. The LT-1 motor did not appear in F-body form until 1993 (ie - 4th generation F-bodies), while the IROC was a remnant of the 3rd generation cars (1982-1992 - but I believe the last year for the IROC was 1990), equipped with either a 5.0 or 5.7 (L98) motor that put out far, far less than 340 (unless very, very heavily modded).
    Oh well, not like it's an uncommon event for people to drop off their car at the shop with a blank check and then try to talk about it like they know what was actually done to it.

Such is life,
    "Jesus saves, Gretzky scores"

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the
    morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. " ~Frank Sinatra

Thumbs up

BTW - nice kill, regardless!!!!
    "Jesus saves, Gretzky scores"

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the
    morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. " ~Frank Sinatra

I'm surprised that Porsche would use a V configured engine in production. I thought part of the classic Porsche design was H configured engines like us.

So? Stop being surprised. Old guys know their sh1t. Sometimes.

X

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast