WRX beaten by a SOLARA!!?? It could happen.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX beaten by a SOLARA!!?? It could happen. within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I entered a loooong, wide freeway ramp right behind a de-badged, all black WRX with a pipe and whatever other ...

WRX beaten by a SOLARA!!?? It could happen.

I entered a loooong, wide freeway ramp right behind a de-badged, all black WRX with a pipe and whatever other mods. From a dead stop, I know I'd have had no chance against him, but since we were going from a roll, I gave it a try. It was close, but I overhauled him in 3rd gear, then gave him the thumbs up. Was the WRX driver a board member here?

My car:
    2000 Toyota Solara 5spd
    TRD supercharger
    TRD sway bar and shifter.
    Y-pipe
    Rims and tires

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good kill. What kind of power do you put down with the s/c?
    2002 WRX 352whp & 341ft-lbs *SOLD*
    12.5@109
    2004 SRT4 449whp & 457ft-lbs
    11.6@125

i guess anything is possible but when you start talking about him being modded my "bs" meter starts coming out.....solara's are 16 sec cars in the 1/4 aren't they? Granted, you supercharged the car which i'm sure is giving you some decent power if you are saying the wrx is modded than he should be running in the 13's, that's a 3 sec difference the supercharger would have to make up for.......hmm.........i believe you, why would you come on here and post if it was not true but something just doesn't seem right.....maybe a stock wrx.......was he asleep? lol
    Volvo S60 R (as of July 05)

Formerly ka: BlackWrx
    SOLD 7/05----04 Silver STI
    SOLD: 02 black sedan, Lots of mods

The guy was probably asleep. I am a former Accord V6 owner and the Solaras are the direct rival. I beleive the s/c brings power up to about 250-260chp. Same with the Comptech s/c and the Accords.
    03 Cobra
    566whp/515wtq

Pics
    & Dyno
    Pics

not sure about the solara but the v6 accord w/ a comptech sc only ran 14.6 according to honda tuning magazine. (i previously owned an accord as well). either way good kill.

-Brian

Yep - you are correct. But that is running on only 4.5psi also. The s/c is capable of up to 15psi. Comptech has smaller pullies now to up the boost and I know of 2 guys making around 270-280chp at I think 6-8psi. The one major drawback of the Accords is their weak ass tranny.

Yep my AV6 tranny exploded on me down I-95. Only 2nd gear worked and I had to limp home 200 miles away with the gear selector in 2nd gear. The engine is strong though. It withstood 5000-6000 rpms for almost 4 hours straight when I was driving home.

Silverscooby: "Good kill. What kind of power do you put down with the s/c?" --Thanks. I've had some mods since my last dyno run. I'm probably making about 240-250 at the wheels, or 270-280 net hp.

BlackWRX: Most Solaras are autos, the 5 speeds run mid 15's stock. However, it's pointless to compare quarter mile times here; 1/4 mile times are very dependent on launch and we started from maybe 30 mph. This negated the WRX's huge traction advantage. So it came down to power/weight ratios. Since both cars weigh around 3200 pounds, I figure he had some mods. A car with 227 hp would not keep up with one having 270 hp, all else being equal.

Ouch. My Accord was fully modded (minus the s/c) and moved pretty well, untuned. Full bolt-ons. It made about 240chp. I finally gave up on it because of the tranny that would eventually hold me back.

does anyone know the link to the site that has vids of the two solaras that run 6s?

I am not surprised of the outcome. Solara w/ SC can definitely pull on stock WRX in a roll. Good kill.

if he puts down 250-260 to the wheels he can take a stage 2 wrx from a roll

Originally posted by Cap'n Carl
    Silverscooby: "Good kill. What kind of power do you put down with the s/c?" --Thanks. I've had some mods since my last dyno run. I'm probably making about 240-250 at the wheels, or 270-280 net hp.
    Uh no. Not NEARLY that much at the wheels. More like 200-210whp IF he is making 270chp. That's about a 20% drivetrain loss which is what these cars put out.

Cool, I like the TRD solara looks, they are nice.. Definetely, those supercharged Solara are no slouch. Good raced man.

Cap N' Carl: Do you lurked at Acura-cl.com board too? Your SC sounds familiar... Hhhhmmmmm..

P.S. Shhh don't tell my A-CL family I traded in my CL-S for 04 STi lol.. I'm a loyal member there too?
    Last edited by sk1CL-S; 06-22-2003 at 08:25 PM.
    01 CL Type S *Sold*
    04 Silver/Gold STi
    -COBB AP Stage 2 / 93 oct
    -Drop in K&N filter
    -Bosal Single Tip Catback
    -Helix 3" Catless Downpipe
    -Replica STi front strut tower brace

Originally posted by AjDaMan
    Uh no. Not NEARLY that much at the wheels. More like 200-210whp IF he is making 270chp. That's about a 20% drivetrain loss which is what these cars put out.
    Twenty percent is what an auto trans will lose, but I have a 5spd, so drivetrain loss is closer to 15%. A stock 200hp Solara 5spd will put 170hp to the wheels. Since a Solara with mods very similar to mine will put 240hp to the wheels, that's about 280 net hp.

Sk1CL-S: Yeah, I used to lurk around that board sometimes. I love the CL-S; it and the WRX-STi would fit just fine in my fantasy garage. They could be my daily driver cars when the weather is too rough for my McClaren.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.