OWN3D By a Impala SS In The Hills!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on OWN3D By a Impala SS In The Hills! within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Yesterday I went to my parents house to work on my 1969 Pontiac Firebird. I am getting ready to sell ...

I Support ClubWRX

OWN3D By a Impala SS In The Hills!

Yesterday I went to my parents house to work on my 1969 Pontiac Firebird. I am getting ready to sell it. So I am in the process of getting it cleaned up. I brought my floor jack, jack stands, and two full tool boxes over there in my trunk for the maintenance.

On my way home, I am on HWY 280S. I notice a car pulled over on the other side of the freeway. It was pulled over by an unmarked Crown Vic. The Crown Vic was all black. Black paint job, black rims. No bumper guard. Real incognito.

So I am nearing home. I get off HWY 17, and get onto Old Santa Cruz HWY. This is the starting of the mountain and curvy roads to my house. As I turn onto Old Sant Cruz HWY, I pass a nice looking 94-96 Impala SS with its window down. It was all black with its rear windows tinted. I am minding my own business. Didn't rev at him at all. On my way to one of the first turns. I was going to take it easy, since I had so much stuff in my trunk. I look up in the rear view, and he is right there on my a$$. Wow. Were did he come from?

I remembered in the back of my head about the unmarked Police car I had seen earlier, and started looking for the "E" on the liscence plate for exemption. I didn't see it.

I took the first couple of corners easy. And he was right on my tail. There is a nice couple of straight away before the next few corners. I gave it a little gas, and pulled some head way. Then the first nice corner was coming up. I gave it a little gas to lose this guy. My front tires started squealing badly. I think the ballast in my trunk made for crappy handling. I made it through that corner looked up at the rear view. He was right on my tail. Okay. The next few corners I really started pushing my car through them. But the counter weight in the trunk only made matters worse. Every corner I went through, this guy was on my a$$. I couldn't loose him.

Remeber, this is a 94-96 Impala SS boat. These things can be made fast in the straights, but I didn't know it could handle like that. There is a BAIC I-Club member, with a screen name ImpalaSSAutox whose Impala SS club frequents AutoX events. He told me his ImpalaSS will easily outhandle his WRX wagon. Now I believe it.

I came up to my turn, turned on my signal, and the guy backed off. As I was turning, I gave the guy a big thumbs up and a smile. There are no excuses for this. I was OWN3D by a huge Impala SS in my own backyard. Maybe next time?
    Last edited by KurleeDaddeeWRX; 06-22-2003 at 10:38 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

They are scary with the handling from the factory. Impressive for such a large car. But with a few little upgrades, they can handle better that you would think.
    Now get that stuff out of your trunk!!

I totally love those cars... they are absolutely bad ass. If I am going to get beaten by anything, I would want it to be an Impala SS.

RMD
    Impala SS are really nice cars and I have a lot of respect for their dry weather performance...my pops had one when I was in high school. It definately rocked when it was dry out but as soon as the road got slick that thing would be all over the place...I'd like to see that car keep up with a rex when there is just a little coating of snow on the road...can anyone say FISH TAIL! This was ultimately the reason for scraping the car...In Maine there are more days of snow and rain than there are sun!

I have always liked those Impalas. The new ones suck arse IMO. Now they are coming out with a new SS model but it is "Signature Series". Yuck.
    03 Cobra
    566whp/515wtq

Pics
    & Dyno
    Pics

Originally posted by RMD
    Impala SS are really nice cars and I have a lot of respect for their dry weather performance...my pops had one when I was in high school. It definately rocked when it was dry out but as soon as the road got slick that thing would be all over the place...I'd like to see that car keep up with a rex when there is just a little coating of snow on the road...can anyone say FISH TAIL! This was ultimately the reason for scraping the car...In Maine there are more days of snow and rain than there are sun!
    If you're dumb enough to race in the rain or snow on the street, you don't deserve to share the roads with the rest of America. "Dry weather performance"
    2000 LS1 Camaro M6

Who says performance == racing? Seriously, even just driving around, picking up groceries or dropping off the kids at daycare, the WRX is going to be safer in slicker conditions than a RWD car (FWD actually does pretty well)... the ability to drive almost normal in these conditions is much more obtainable in the WRX than in the Impala. No fish tails (which can be obtained with even moderate throttle) and more control.
    STIwish
    -------------------
    03 Subaru WRX Sedan WR Blue -
    RIP

RMD

What race?

Originally posted by Simp
    If you're dumb enough to race in the rain or snow on the street, you don't deserve to share the roads with the rest of America. "Dry weather performance"
    STIwish. thanks for making my statement a little more clear for those who didn't actually read it...Stimp, I never commented on racing the car, I only commented on its handling in wet conditions vs. dry conditions.

I saw one with a Lingenfelter engine a few months ago. Don't feel too badly about it. Were you driving your WRX, that would be a different story.

X

I Support ClubWRX
    I was driving my WRX when I got OWN3D!!!! But it had a lot to do with all the weight in the trunk. I just took those same roads a lot faster on the way home from work just now, with very little tire squeal. Oh well. I got OWN3D by a Impala SS. I can deal with that.

Originally posted by AjDaMan
    Now they are coming out with a new SS model but it is "Signature Series". Yuck.
    When "SS" stands for "Signature Series", you know Chevy has gone to hell. First they kill the Camaro, now you get "Signature Series"...it's damn frustrating if you love American cars in you heart.

Signature Series, ha, I can't get over that
    <----- Finally found an avatar I like!

The Impalas can be made to handle- they call them G Machines. I've driven new Caprice police cars and they handle very well.

I Support ClubWRX
    Well I put my 18" Battles on yesterday, so I can wear out the tires before I sell the rims. I have Falken FK-451 Beta's 225/40/18ZR rubber on them. I thought I would take the same turns as the ones I got owned on last week. Not only could I breeze through the turns with speed, but there was not one squeal from the tires.

Why didn't someone tell me my Sumitomo HTRZ-IIs 225/45/17 's on my Superleggeras suck really bad. No wonder why these tires have lasted as long as they have. They are hard like rocks. And don't handle for crap. I didn't buy the Sumitomos on purpose, they came with the OZ's when I bought them used.

As soon as my Falken's wear out on my Battles, I will sell the rims and buy some new tires for my OZ's. I am in love with the ZR rubber. Even though it sure doesn't last long.

When "SS" stands for "Signature Series", you know Chevy has gone to hell. First they kill the Camaro, now you get "Signature Series"...it's damn frustrating if you love American cars in you heart.
    Yeah that is pretty gay, but atleast they are throwing it "Some" performance...... It is getting the 3800 SeriesII Supercharged engine, most of you know this engine, cause it is in the Grand Prix GTP.
    They can be made quite fast, but for lots of money....and at the expensive of at least 2-3 trannies.......I should know I own one....Stupid GM and there weak ass trannies!

Currently the fastest Supercharged GTP is running 11.7, there is one that just ran 10.9 but he swapped the S/C for a turbo....It's actually similar to a Grand National except FWD.

KurleeDaddeeWRX got any pics of your new rims?
    Stock or something close to it.....

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by soon2BWRXd

KurleeDaddeeWRX got any pics of your new rims?
    EDITED FOR UPDATED PIC: Here is a picture I just took a few hours ago. STI hoodscoop and all.
    Last edited by KurleeDaddeeWRX; 06-30-2003 at 09:41 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.