WRX vs. NSX

This is a discussion on WRX vs. NSX within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; There I am cruising down the highway about 80 and up ahead there are 3 cars that seem to be ...

Ike

WRX vs. NSX

There I am cruising down the highway about 80 and up ahead there are 3 cars that seem to be going all the same speed so I hop in the middle lane and slow to 70ish and wait for a spot to open so I can go along my merry way. Out of no where a NSX pulls behind the car in the left lane and rides his ass trying to get him to move over I would guess.

At first I was like wow an NSX, then I looked more closely and was saddened. Purple flipflop paint... and what appeared to be chrome dubs. Such a shame to do this to such a beautiful car. It had some sort of aftermarket pipes and it sounded nice but not sure if there were really any mods on it.

So he keeps riding the ass of the guy in the left lane and it worked the guy in the left sped up and was slowly merging into the center lane to get out of his way. So I downshift to third still going about 70 just because I want to see how well I can keep up with him. The left lane car gets out of the way and he punches it, I tuck in behind him and do the same. I'm gaining on him, I was amazed so I get in the middle lane and pull about a half car in front to about 95 maybe a little more. Honestly I can't remember if I got into 4th or not... then I had to slow because of traffic and I tuck in behind him after letting off the gas a bit.

Traffic opens up, he takes of and I take off after him... same result, except I get into 4th and keep slowly walking up to 110. Then traffic really clogs up so I'm on the brakes and we're a bit stuck and I see him weaving his way over to the right to exit, and it's my exit, he flys down the exit and onto the main road as if he's trying to lose me and I just stayed a comfortable distance behind. About a half a block up the turns yellow and we're going to catch a light together so now I'll really see what the NSX can do. At the last second he jukes into the left turn lane that leads into a deadend industrial part... So I'm at the light all alone and I look over for a while and he wouldn't even acknowledge I was there <shrug> It was the same reaction I get from so many of the riced out honda guys, they just stare dead ahead even though they know you are there.

I'm left wondering, is it possible a stock WRX can hang with an NSX from any year, I'm pretty sure this was one of the first model years. Maybe the NSX was beat to hell and not running right, maybe they aren't as fast as I thought, maybe he was in the wrong gear. Maybe he wasn't trying, but the way he was driving and the engine sounding it seemed like he was giving it all she had.

I really hope I just kicked his ass, because anyone that would do that to an NSX deserves a good ass whoopin'.

What do you guys think?

Ike

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

In Ray's house while he's jacking it in his car.
    Anyone with more knowledge free free to correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that NSXes only had something lke 300HP, which isn't an incredible amount. I think their acceleration performance was comparable to a 300ZX twin turbo. If that is the case, it is indeed possible to have kept up with one. I think that what was most notable about the NSX was its handling, not its power (rear-wheel drive mid-engine layout . . . go figure). I am sorry that I do not have any numbers, but I am too tired from work to look up information right now. So, as I had said earlier, I could be wrong . . . I live in a very redneck part of Ohio; I have never even seen an NSX, although I have seen several Kia Rios with Body Kits and bleacher seat spoilers . . .

I used to work with a guy who had a 91 NSX. He showed me his dyno graph and he was making about 260whp stock.
    2002 WRX 352whp & 341ft-lbs *SOLD*
    12.5@109
    2004 SRT4 449whp & 457ft-lbs
    11.6@125

First year NSX's had somewhere around 270-290 hp(crank I guess). VTEC of course, high-revvin affairs, torque was not the meal du jour for these things. They require some pretty extensive maintainence, so one running poorly would not surprise me. BUT, get one on a road course with a proficient driver and they come alive, a scalpel in the hands of a pro. Engineered to the hilt, with impeccible handling charateristsics(again, for a pro driver), and an arsenal of cutting edge tech....back in the mid to early 90's. Still, a S-Zero would make me smile like a moron, so sexy lookin.
    2003 WRB Wagon. Vishnu Stage 2(VF30). DBA 5010's/steel lines/Carbotech Bobcat pads, MRT topmount. Tein coilovers, 22/24 mm sways, ALK....I'M DONE!!!!!!

The NSX is a VERY fast car. There is NO WAY a stock WRX can hang with one that has a half way decent driver. Off the line a WRX should hose one, but from a roll theres no WAY!
    293.2 hp to the ground
    267 lb/ft torque to the ground
    VF-30 Setup

Highway race no chance for wrx, considering we are talking stock vs stock.. I've seen NSX WOT at the highway and damn the vtec on those thing is no joke.

Stoplight race, you might edge him out but he will pull on you quickly..
    01 CL Type S *Sold*
    04 Silver/Gold STi
    -COBB AP Stage 2 / 93 oct
    -Drop in K&N filter
    -Bosal Single Tip Catback
    -Helix 3" Catless Downpipe
    -Replica STi front strut tower brace

Ike
    I still feel ill thinking about someone putting flipflop paint on an NSX, and then topping it off with chrome Dubs. It was probably a salvage car and had a prelude engine swapped into it I'm just gonna chalk it up to I was in my sweet spot and he was in the wrong gear. I do know that high revs are every bit, if not more important to VTECs as they are to us. He honestly didn't want a piece of the stoplight action, would have been a lot of fun and maybe I would have had a better story to tell.

Ike

NSXs are the most underachieving sports cars for the money. Seriously.

would you wanna pay close to $100 gs for a car that only gets about 280 to 300 hp? I know wouldn't.

They're not even cool to look at anymore with their alligator headlight design now. yuck.

i think I'd rather spend that $100 gs on something like a porsche instead. better yet, an sti and put the rest in the bank. lol.

Originally posted by drbyers
    NSXs are the most underachieving sports cars for the money. Seriously.

would you wanna pay close to $100 gs for a car that only gets about 280 to 300 hp? I know wouldn't.

They're not even cool to look at anymore with their alligator headlight design now. yuck.

i think I'd rather spend that $100 gs on something like a porsche instead. better yet, an sti and put the rest in the bank. lol.
    Run one where they are designed to run. Those cars eat road courses. Granted a WRX, Sti would own one on a mixed surface race. Yet, slap a NSX on a smooth tarmac, and watch the "underpowerd" NSX work its magic. Balanced and composed cars they be.

I agree tho in many aspects. For 100k, the Acura would not be in my short list, as I wanna have an everyday car. Sign me up for a GT2, or a used F-355. But if I made my bread and butter running showroom stock on road courses(and I could drive worth a damn) a NSX is a tasty alternative.
    2003 WRB Wagon. Vishnu Stage 2(VF30). DBA 5010's/steel lines/Carbotech Bobcat pads, MRT topmount. Tein coilovers, 22/24 mm sways, ALK....I'M DONE!!!!!!

Stock 92 NSX from a roll v. my TXS stage 4 wrx, it was neck and neck up to like 80, granted we started rolling in 1st, i was immediately back a car length, but was slowly catching up until we shut down. His clutch was bad at the time, which was partially why he didn't want to go from a stop. That and the beauty of AWD!