HELP! Best friend buying SRT-4 !!!!!!!!
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on HELP! Best friend buying SRT-4 !!!!!!!! within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I don't know what to do?!? All set to buy his new WRB '04 sedan and then he decides, "Maybe ...

Official ClubWRX arms dealer SOUTHPAW's Avatar

Exclamation HELP! Best friend buying SRT-4 !!!!!!!!

I don't know what to do?!? All set to buy his new WRB '04 sedan and then he decides, "Maybe I'll go test drive a SRT-4..."' and that's all it took! Now I am worried that I may have to suddenly embrace the damn things instead of despising them as arch enemies. I never drove one before but from what he told me, traction wasn't an issue and he said it felt a lot faster than the REX! Two people even followed him off the street after the FU<K!NG test drive gawking and $H!T at "how awsome it is..." After that I knew he would be sold! Who knows, maybe I should stop being such a "WRX nazi" and start liking other respectable cars...?

*1969 Camaro - Kickin' It Old School
    PICS & MODS

*2005 Corvette C6 - A few APS bolt-ons
    PICS & MODS <- Built by XX Tuning
    *2003 Subaru WRX - 332 AWHP - SOLD
    PICS & MODS <- Built by XX Tuning
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Dude, fret not! Sure, the SRT-4 is fast on dry pavement in a straight line. But in any other conditions, you own him. Add to that, his car's output is more-or-less maxed out. You've got plenty of room for added HP.

Bottom line: It's still a Neon. Worse yet, it's still a Dodge.
    2002 WRB 5-spd: K&N drop-in, silencer hack, Samco IC hoses, Godspeed uppipe, Bosal downpipe w/stock 3rd cat, Tanabe RM catback, TB Racing crank pulley, Tanabe GF-210 springs, Koni Sport strut inserts, Group N tranny & motor mounts, Whiteline rack bushings, Kartboy rear-sway endlinks & shifter, Goodridge ss brakelines, Akebono ProACT front pads

yes, it is faster than stock WRX.... it's time for you to spend some money on engine management system and full turboback exhaust system

what's wrong with the SRT-4? It's one of the best cars you can get for $20K...

Let your friend get what he wants... it's not all that easy to launch a front driver with that much power and no LSD.

-Bob
    I am the Anti-rice.

TurboXS stage 4+ and much, much more...

the SRT4 is the fastest production car for under $20 grand... so, let him get it. then the first time at the track and he cant hook up, youll blow him away. hope he enjoys it.
    '05 CGM Subaru Impreza WRX Mods
    '02 WRB Subaru Impreza WRX (sold)
    '94 Subaru Legacy Wagon L (daily)
    '90 Toyota Supra Turbo

Originally posted by JohnZim63
    Dude, fret not! Sure, the SRT-4 is fast on dry pavement in a straight line. But in any other conditions, you own him. Add to that, his car's output is more-or-less maxed out. You've got plenty of room for added HP.

Well said......... What self-respecting person would choose to drive a dodge....especially a neon?
    --Jared

go fast, take the apex(no matter what)

Add to that, his car's output is more-or-less maxed out.
    Ok, this might sound like me being an ass..... but you hve no idea what you're talking about do you???

Lets see.... turboxs's SRT-4 dynoed stock at 230whp and with just a few more psi (from 14-16) it made 265whp.

I won't even go into what more power it made with a wastegate adjustment that cost less than $200.00.....

Yeah, sounds like the SRT-4 is maxed out...
    2002 WRX 352whp & 341ft-lbs *SOLD*
    12.5@109
    2004 SRT4 449whp & 457ft-lbs
    11.6@125

Originally posted by JohnZim63

Enough already. You haven't been in one. You cannot make a judgement. I am so sick of the anything but dry pavement we own statements. IF you are driving aggressively on anything BUT dry pavement than your IQ is a few points lower than your age. Bottom line its still a neon? Do you drive a mercedes? No? How about a Benley? Still no? What do you drive? Oh yeah. An impreza. A BEEFED up Impreza, just like the SRT4 is a beefed up Neon. Wake up. Open your mind.

Well said......... What self-respecting person would choose to drive a dodge....especially a neon?
    jar_e_d sti, I have yet to see you post anything that resembles intelligence. I am sorry if I am being harsh. But all you ever do is state that anyone who doesn't agree with you is dumb. Well guess what. Chrysler still here. They have always been here. They will always be here. Many, MANY self-respecting people buy Dodge's, many self-respecting people buy Neon's. It is an economy car designed for people with a low finances to drive on a minimal budget. You know what? Aside from the first gen head gasket problem, they have been pretty good cars. You have not had any experience with the SRT4. I am guessing you have had no experience with Dodge either, but who knows. Maybe you just got burned by them one time. Sorry for the rant. It just is STILL amazing that a car that is so close to the WRX in its purpose here in the states can still garner such harsh treatment from this community. I like the WRX. But if I had to go and buy a new relatively low cost car, I would definitely be swayed towards the SRT4. Now bring on the flames and lets see if you can come up with something better than "yeah, well your stupid" or something like some of your other childish posts I have read.

Oh, and Southpaw. Congratulate your friend on a great choice, WHICHEVER he buys. Why would you want him to get the same car as you anyway? Let him get something different and then you can enjoy the best of both worlds.

Just noticed you are from Milford. I will be there tomorrow, I go quite often. MY friends live there and I will probably be moving there soon. If your friend does get the SRT4, think maybe we can all hook up and check out the rides? I have at least one friend that would LOVE to see it (he just sold his WRX wagon-just bought a house and he needed to cut some costs and also he needed a larger vehicle)

who cares...

I would never buy an SRT-4 (:cough: American car built after 1970 :cough: ), but power vs. dollar, they are impressive.
    I say let him get whatever he wants.
    Steve McQueen's got nothin' on me...
    I'll take you back, west of Pleiades...

Originally posted by jar_e_d sti
    you left yourself open on that one..viper.....need i say more?

Thumbs up

Like 2001S4 posted, I think it'd be cool if a buddy of mine picked up a SRT4. It'd be a little goofy if your friends all drove the exact same car as you. You don't all go out together wearing matching outfits, right? Besides, now you've got something to spur on a friendly rivalry. The Neon is a good car, especially for the money. I certainly would consider one if I wasn't already happily affixed to my WRX. Let him be happy with his choice, and be a friend by supporting his decision. Then let the games begin!

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

Think of the SRT4 as a stage 2 WRX on a pegleg. An SRT4 costs $20,000. A stage 2 WRX costs about $26,000. Is AWD worth $6k more than open-diff FWD? Your call. Keep in mind that's almost 30% more money than the Neon.

OK, there are other factors:
    Suspension - WRX is better for handling and comes from the factory with camber adjustment up front, SRT4 is 0 camber front and rear.
    Modding ability - this is a double-edged sword: we've got more available mods because we've been on the market longer; the SRT4 has a larger turbo, fuel system, 20% more displacement, and a FMIC from the factory. As soon as the aftermarket catches up, it's tuning potential will outstrip the WRX's.
    Reliability - I'm gonna say it: this is not a subjective issue, a Subaru is way more reliable and better built than a Dodge. That's all there is to it - check Consumer Reports and see how few Dodges make average or better reliability ratings. Then see how EVERY SINGLE Subaru model since 1993 has earned the highest reliability rating. As a company, that's a better track record than Honda or Toyota, both well known for their build quality and reliability. Sorry, but the Neon doesn't compare here.

Bottom line: the SRT4 is better at making power, the WRX is better at controlling it. To justify a stage 2 WRX you must say that it's traction, suspension, and reliability are worth ~$6k more than the eventually easier-to-mod Neon. If you want to go stock for stock, then subtract $2k from the price difference and now add that the Neon is also a more powerful car. Whether or not you can justify that is up to you, but one thing is clear: the SRT4 is a hell of a car for the price.

I still love my Rex though, and wouldn't trade it for an SRT4+$6k in a second. That's just me though
    <----- Finally found an avatar I like!

Good for your friend regardless if hes not gettin a rex. The SRT-4's a good car. Its not like hes getting a KIA or civic over the wrx.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.