HELP! Best friend buying SRT-4 !!!!!!!! - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on HELP! Best friend buying SRT-4 !!!!!!!! within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by PKer Right on brutha! I have to agree with the who cares statement honestly. But just for ...

SBW
    Originally posted by PKer
    Right on brutha!
    I have to agree with the who cares statement honestly. But just for the record, I've been recommending the SRT-4 to anyone who'll listen and says they want a fast car for not a lot of money.

These cars are fast, and dont give me that "its a dodge"/"its a neon" crap. Because, if thats the way you really feel, just think of how stupid you'll feel when one of these "crappy dodge's" leave's you on the highway.

I can't stand people downtalking the srt-4 here, and it sounds like most of them dont have a valid argument. Fact is, power to dollar ratio, it beats our cars.

The viper has quite possiblly the worst disigned engine ever. They took their normal V8 and added two cylinders. The engine lopes like there is no tomarrow. The really didn't put any effort into engenearing the engine.

Have you seen the new VW Toureg? The turbo-deisel model puts out about 50 more lb. ft. of torque than the viper. (and it's only a 5L. Now that's enginearing.)

Jared...
    Holy spelling batman, you dont have an argument or a clue. Let me toss you texas instruments "my first speak and spell"

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by SBW
    Jared...
    Holy spelling batman, you dont have an argument or a clue. Let me toss you texas instruments "my first speak and spell"
    . I didn't want to be the one to say it. Wow, dodge really should have spent some time on developing that really unpopular viper engine.

WRX will beat a SRT-4 from a stop? Certainly not in the 1/4 mile, tehe...

-B

The viper has quite possiblly the worst disigned engine ever. They took their normal V8 and added two cylinders. The engine lopes like there is no tomarrow. The really didn't put any effort into engenearing the engine.

You have got to be kidding?!?! Doesn't that car run 11's STOCK? I really think that you have a major issue with American cars in general, but hey whatever floats your boat.
    2004 Grand Prix CompG
    Fully loaded w/Appreance Package.
    Wizaired CAI

Just because a car runs 11s stock does not make it a well engineered car. You have to remember the current viper engine is freakin huge its 500ci's for christ sake, it would be pretty near impossible to not get alot of power from it. All that he was implying is that if they engine was well desingned and of that size it would be makeing way more then 500hp 500ft/lbs out of 500ci's. Im not bashing the viper since I actually like what they have done to the new one Im just stating that just because somthing is powerful doesnt make it a engineering marvel.
    Alex

That's what american muscle/sports cars are always about man, high displacement/ huge engines, they never have been efficient in relation to foreign cars.

I just spent some time working on my uncle's 1995 Plymouth Neon with 247,000 miles on it. I was replacing the A/C compressor clutch and powersteering pump. Anyone here have an Impreza with 247k miles on it? If you do, you can start talking sh|t about Neons. Be my guest.

Chrysler has a bad reputation for reliability. We all know this. I never evaluate a car based on its manufacturer. I look at each vehicle on a case by case basis. The SRT-4 is a kick ass car. PERIOD.

-Jim

Originally posted by Chunks
    That's what american muscle/sports cars are always about man, high displacement/ huge engines, they never have been efficient in relation to foreign cars.
    That is exactly what jar_e_d sti's point was. Gtp gator countered jareds comment by stating the viper is fast which has nothing to do with the engine being designed well. I didnt say there was anything wrong with it just stating that fast doesnt mean great design.
    Alex

Originally posted by JohnZim63
    Dude, fret not! Sure, the SRT-4 is fast on dry pavement in a straight line. But in any other conditions, you own him. Add to that, his car's output is more-or-less maxed out. You've got plenty of room for added HP.

Bottom line: It's still a Neon. Worse yet, it's still a Dodge.
    Well, one thing...SRT4 has the same 2.4L I4 as the turbo Cruiser (production). It's underrated. Reliability I know nothing on. However, as far as maxed out, that's not even close. NON turbo PT Cruisers, without the tougher factory engine, have been beefed to over 315 hp with a Hahn turbo and (a lot of) internal work. Also, ever seen video of a Neon taking a Viper in the 1/4 mile? "Maxed" out...no. Hell, do the right stuff and even some TINY engines can produce more power than I care to imagine...

As far as bang for the buck, the SRT4 is one of the best around...and in my eyes, then comes the WRX, then the WRX STi and EVO8 (together).

RN

Originally posted by stilesg57
    [B]Think of the SRT4 as a stage 2 WRX on a pegleg.
    I wouldn't go so far to say that the SRT4 is a stage 2 WRX, maybe closer to a stage 1.

SRT 1/4 = 13.8-13.9 <---best I've seen stock
    WRX Stage 1 = mid to high 13's
    WRX Stage 2 = low to mid 13's

I say let him buy the SRT-4... they are pretty sick for what they are.. let him buy one and let the competition begin. However when he starts making the excuse that he wont race cause his 'car is in the shop'.. believe it, because with the Neons, it is most often true.
    STIwish
    -------------------
    03 Subaru WRX Sedan WR Blue -
    RIP

Originally posted by 2001S4
    IF you are driving aggressively on anything BUT dry pavement than your IQ is a few points lower than your age.

Last I checked, my WRX was inspired by a rally car designed to drive aggressively on bad roads. Look at my avatar, mud, baby, mud! Snow? Bring it on, I drive to a ski area every day in the winter. As for the Neon, if someone wants one, let 'em buy it. I'm sure it's a kick to drive and the price is very reasonable. To each his own.

Originally posted by silverscooby
    Ok, this might sound like me being an ass..... but you hve no idea what you're talking about do you???

Lets see.... turboxs's SRT-4 dynoed stock at 230whp and with just a few more psi (from 14-16) it made 265whp.

I won't even go into what more power it made with a wastegate adjustment that cost less than $200.00.....

Yeah, sounds like the SRT-4 is maxed out...
    Alright, Dude, don't grease your shorts! Maybe I misunderstood something that I'd read about the SRT-4. My main point is that just because the thing is fast in a straight line on dry pavement doesn't make it a kick-ass car. I need more than one reason to buy a car. But, hey, that's an opinion.

SBW: Sorry, but it's still a Dodge POS. And that's also my opinion. And yes, I've had the (*cough*) honor of being a Dodge owner in the past, so I know from experience what a joy they are to drive and own.
    2002 WRB 5-spd: K&N drop-in, silencer hack, Samco IC hoses, Godspeed uppipe, Bosal downpipe w/stock 3rd cat, Tanabe RM catback, TB Racing crank pulley, Tanabe GF-210 springs, Koni Sport strut inserts, Group N tranny & motor mounts, Whiteline rack bushings, Kartboy rear-sway endlinks & shifter, Goodridge ss brakelines, Akebono ProACT front pads

Originally posted by JohnZim63
    Alright, Dude, don't grease your shorts! Maybe I misunderstood something that I'd read about the SRT-4. My main point is that just because the thing is fast in a straight line on dry pavement doesn't make it a kick-ass car. I need more than one reason to buy a car. But, hey, that's an opinion.

SBW: Sorry, but it's still a Dodge POS. And that's also my opinion. And yes, I've had the (*cough*) honor of being a Dodge owner in the past, so I know from experience what a joy they are to drive and own.
    Thats very cool. You know that the absolute WORST car I ever owned was a Subaru? 1984 GL-10. Now this is where you say that Subaru has come a long way sine I owned that car. Is it maybe possible that Subaru isn't the only one that has improved with age?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123