(From the UK) WRX vs VW Corrado VR6 Storm vs Audi TT Roadster 225bhp
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on (From the UK) WRX vs VW Corrado VR6 Storm vs Audi TT Roadster 225bhp within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Ok so my brother kindly lent me his car whilst I'm in the UK. It's a VW Corrado VR6 limited ...

I Support ClubWRX

(From the UK) WRX vs VW Corrado VR6 Storm vs Audi TT Roadster 225bhp

Ok so my brother kindly lent me his car whilst I'm in the UK. It's a VW Corrado VR6 limited 'Storm' edition (whatever that means). It's FWD with a 2.9 V6 190hp engine. Dynoed at 202hp, and it's stock. A friend of mine also lent me his 2002 TT Roadster 225hp which said 'ABT' on the back instead of 'TT'. No idea what kind of tuning it's at but it's at roughly 250bhp so he says. Either way, I have some fun cars to drive whilst I'm here in London till the 29th.

Anyway, I didn't pit these car against each other, but I thought I would give an unbiased (believe it or not) comparison against each car.

1.) Audi TT.

This is a SWEET little car. Very sweet. I'd never been quite sure of it but driving around in it with the hood down is the THE biggest chick magnet. The interior is very 'metal' inside although the metal or aluminium (whatever it is) gear-knob scratches REALLY easily. (covered in them) I'm 6'6" and my head popped over the windscreen so I'm not sure how I would do with the top down. It was odd having some of vision through the windscreen, and some of it over the top.

Driving it was fun. The brakes are very hard and took some getting used to since a slight dab on them brings you to a halt rather fast. It rides very firm so all those wussies amongst you might want to look elsewhere. Much firmer ride than a stock WRX. Gearbox and clutch have their plusses and minuses. Firstly the 6MT is a joy to shift. Absolute joy. Not notchy at all unlike the STi short shifter in my WRX. Buttery smooth shifts. Some of the finest I've ever shifted infact, and it's short. It felt almost as short as the STi short shift. Very nice. The clutch however, I didn't like as much as the WRX clutch. This I think is funny since everyone seems to moan about the clutch in the WRX. Whilst, I don't think the WRX clutch is perfect, I prefer it to the TT clutch because you can 'feel' the bite point so much more easily in the WRX. The TT clutch felt a little 'mushy' with not much feedback to the driver about how high or low the clutch is.

Practicality of course goes to the WRX. Seating position goes to the WRX too. Much more comfy seats. Handling is a close one. I didn't get to drive the TT to the limits, but it 'felt' more RWD biased compared to the WRX when cornering. I'm not sure if I was imagining things or not, but it just felt more like a RWD car!
    Acceleration-wise, I honestly felt like the turbo didn't kick in as much compared to the WRX. The WRX just FEELS faster and more punchy than the TT. Not sure of exact 0-60 figures for the TT 225, but it felt a little slower and less 'raaaaaar!!' than the WRX.

Anyway, nice car if you're not too tall!

2.) VW Corrado VR6

I think this car is an SLC in the States. (Sports Luxury Coupé) but I could be wrong, so correct me if necessary.

Anyway, this car I like the least of the 3. Now it's a little unfair since this a car from 1995, but heck, I'm including it. If Car and Driver can pit a $25k WRX against a $40k S4 and BMW 330Xi, I can pit a 2002 TT and 2003 WRX against a 1995 Corrado.

So, this is the car that was considered the finest handling FWD vehicle in its class. Coo.

So, this is easily the more uncomfortable driver out of the 3. The seating position is very low and there's not much view out of the back window. Actual driving it was nice, although I was irritated by the pedal placement. VW placed the clutch too far to the left so my size 13 US trainers didn't fit in between the clutch and car materials to rest my foot. So I either had to hover my foot over the clutch or put my foot on the floor infront of the clutch. UGH! Not good. The 5MT was smooth to shift, although not as smooth as the 6MT from the TT. Smoother shifts, although MUCH longer, than the WRX. Clutch, like the TT, felt a little mushy.

Acceleration is nice. I've heard numbers from 6.4 - 7.4 to 60 for this car, so it's not too shabby in that region, although nothing on the WRX it felt. However, the V6 engine note is gorgeous. Truly delightful at 6000rpm. (Redline is 6500)

My few real problems are these though. No LSD really kills it. Powerful FWD with no LSD = ack! I had a problem too with heavy acceleration in 1st and 2nd gear. It literally felt like too much power to the front wheels and the steering wheel would pull in random directions under WOT. It was a REALLY disturbing occurence and it would do it every time, albeit only under WOT. Still, not good. I love the fact that you can WOT the WRX and not worry about 'wheel drift.'

Overall, the Corrado can't touch the TT and WRX. It certainly felt much older than the two newbies. However, it's certainly not a bad car. Between the WRX and the TT though it's not really a contest. Different cars for a different buying personality. Both excellent and highly recommended.

Ooer, I rambled. I'll stop now. I'm off to take my buddy's Skyline GT-R for a drive. And no, I'm not kidding.
    Last edited by WilliamG; 06-19-2003 at 12:42 PM.
    2010 SSM STI

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Nice reviews! I've always had a little desire for those TT's...
    Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator
    TXS Stage 4 UTEC + TMIC + JoeP
    12.75 @ 105.67mph - 1.74 60'

Your review of the TT sounds very similar to one I had posted not long ago!

On paper the TT and WRX come very close to each other as far as acceleration times, with a little tuning on the TT as you suggested they should be pretty close.

The difference in the 'feel' of the speed is that VW/Audi engine has a pile of torque available at 1850 RPM so you don't get the kick in the pants like the WRX.

I agree they are both fantastic cars!

Nice write up.

Angry

Damit William, where is my Skyline write-up?! I hope you arn't doing anything frivolous like eating, sleeping or anything like that before you tell us about it.

T.J.
    200,000 mile club.

Old Irish adage: "Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege."

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by T.J.
    Damit William, where is my Skyline write-up?! I hope you arn't doing anything frivolous like eating, sleeping or anything like that before you tell us about it.

T.J.
    You're going to have to wait for that Skyline write up. Friend had some 'business to attend to' (whatever that means! AGH!)

I was all excited. Hopefully this weekend!
    2010 SSM STI

Hey! No bagging on the Corrado Allowed...

Just so you know some differences --

That Corrado, 95 "Storm Edition" is actually really rare. It is kinda like an SLC in the US, but not exactally. The Storm I believe was a trim package, there should be some silly running man sewed into the seats...the SLCs over there had a 2.9L VR6 Motor, that the boys over here in the US would kill for, all our SLCs were 2.8L motors... The 95 was by far the heaviest Corrado that VW made, with airbags and all sorts of other silly stuff in it. I'm amazed you got one that actually shifted into 2nd, the transmissions on them are known to be absolutely horrific. In the same respect, the corrado, I guess it's really beauty in the eye of the beholder. I miss mine with a massive jones, but in the same respect it cost me about the same to maintain that car as it does to make my payments on the WRX....soooo... To each their own. If I could have it as a weekend car I'd take that 95 Storm that you bag on for being uncomfortable and garage it, in a few years it'll be worth more than the WRX and the TT... To Each Their Own...

I Support ClubWRX
    Wow old thread alert! Never did get to drive the Skyline, and my brother sold the Corrado (working/smooth-as-butter transmission and all) and bought an Alpina 3-series. Gorgeous car.
    2010 SSM STI

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamG
    1.) Audi TT.

This is a SWEET little car. Very sweet. I'd never been quite sure of it but driving around in it with the hood down is the THE biggest chick magnet.
    So then does driving it around with the hood up make it a chick repeller, a guy magnet, or an accident waiting to happen?

--------------

Old threads never die, they just get revived every couple of years...

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

HOLY...didn't even see that... weird...that was at the top of my list when I looked at it and I saw corrado...haha...sorry about that one...

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamG
    Wow old thread alert! Never did get to drive the Skyline.....

Crap! I sat here in front of the computer, patiently waiting for a year and a half for nothing. Glad sevnseat said something. I didn't want to be rude.

Knew I shouldn't have waited here...
    200,000 mile club.

Old Irish adage: "Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege."

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by T.J.
    Crap! I sat here in front of the computer, patiently waiting for a year and a half for nothing. Glad sevnseat said something. I didn't want to be rude.

Knew I shouldn't have waited here...

2010 SSM STI

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.