WRX vs the General Public
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX vs the General Public within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Has anyone else had the problem of people not knowing what the hell kind of car you drive? I picked ...

WRX vs the General Public

Has anyone else had the problem of people not knowing what the hell kind of car you drive? I picked up my WRX last week, and when i got back to work, i got questions like "Is that a new Golf?", "What the heck is that?", and my favorite, "Is that a Kia?"

Also, how many of you wagon owners get a lot of crap from people for owning a station wagon?
    '04 WRB Wagon
    K&N Panel Filter, Snorkusectomy
    Still to Come: many many things (waiting for the post-graduation cashflow to start) EDIT: Still Waiting for the money to start coming in......

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Since I got my 04 STi Silver/Gold combo, people stare, point or shout STi!! Especially, teenagers and those ricers will give me good ol thumbs up.. Their is a kid who almost run into a back of an SUV, because he was staring at the car like he saw a ghost.. LOL
    01 CL Type S *Sold*
    04 Silver/Gold STi
    -COBB AP Stage 2 / 93 oct
    -Drop in K&N filter
    -Bosal Single Tip Catback
    -Helix 3" Catless Downpipe
    -Replica STi front strut tower brace

Yeah, the knowing nods and thumbs ups are great, especially the 2 different old dudes in Audi TT's who gave me he thumbs up the day i picked the car up.
    '04 WRB Wagon
    Still to Come: many many things (waiting for the post-graduation cashflow to start) EDIT: Still Waiting for the money to start coming in......

I got a lot of crap for getting a wagon. That is until they got a ride in the car, now my car is refered to as the exception to wagons. The best was a good friend of mine who doesn't know much about cars. She saw the car for the first time and had no idea what it was, but did question why I bought a station wagon. My response was "It's a sport wagon, there's a difference." After a little trip around the block in which I blew the doors off a Grand Am GT (which is what she drives) she was a believer.

Originally posted by kjw1949
    I got a lot of crap for getting a wagon. That is until they got a ride in the car, now my car is refered to as the exception to wagons. The best was a good friend of mine who doesn't know much about cars. She saw the car for the first time and had no idea what it was, but did question why I bought a station wagon. My response was "It's a sport wagon, there's a difference." After a little trip around the block in which I blew the doors off a Grand Am GT (which is what she drives) she was a believer.
    My brother gets a lot of crap for having a wagon too, and when I told friends I may get one, they told me not to because "it sucks" or "it isn't fast." They rode with me in my brother's wagon. They also screamed like little girls during some of that fun driving. Point proven.

And here, friends didn't doubt it much. There's a bridge here, long and straight, 3 lanes across each side. Going one way, no one uses the right lane, EVER. So friend is crossing in his Intrepid, speeding to 65 or so. When we eventually stopped (where we were going), he got out and told at the beginning of the bridge, he did a count down from 3, then just said "there he goes" when I took off...love that bridge. Easy to hit 115 pretty safely with no traffic or need to slam brakes at the far end. Wagons fun.

RN

I have had people mistake my car for a Kia several times. One redneck at the dragstrip goes "What the hell you got done to that Kia? It's fast as hell!"

2002 WRX 352whp & 341ft-lbs *SOLD*
    12.5@109
    2004 SRT4 449whp & 457ft-lbs
    11.6@125

The worst is when females think the car is "cute"

that thing beats the Boxter!

I was leaving Randall's. This lady was right in front of me looked at the car as I turned off the alarm. She asked "what kind of car is this? It looks beautiful!" I'm like wow that's the first I've heard LoL. I told her it's a Subaru WRX. She then yelled over to her husband on the next parking "Honey this car looks very nice!" and the husband said "Yeah, it beats the Porsche Boxter!" He then told me his co-workers had several runs each other and gave me thumbs up!

All I have are the leather seats that match the interior and the spoiler.

I have people comin' up to me all the time asking me, "how do you like you're WRX?" and then follow up sayin' "I'm thinking about buying one, myself."

so, i guess i've been pretty lucky so far.

it seems, the only people that don't know what kind of car I have are the one's that wanna race from a stoplight. especially chicks in riced out cars. lol.

People stop and ask me how I like it all the time. One thing that really vexes folks is the turbo-timer. I took it to a detail shop and the poor fella that pulled it up to the vacuum station looked VERY confused when he yanked out the keys and it kept running.

Folks ask me what I drive, and just say "Subaru Wagon", and leave it at that, I don't even try to explain anymore. If they want a ride I give em a RIDE, the kind so that when they get outta the car they kiss the ground

I also like the fact that most other WRX drivers and RS drivers give a wave or a thumbs up.
    2003 WRB Wagon. Vishnu Stage 2(VF30). DBA 5010's/steel lines/Carbotech Bobcat pads, MRT topmount. Tein coilovers, 22/24 mm sways, ALK....I'M DONE!!!!!!

Originally posted by OotabaJinga
    Yeah, when i went over to my friend's house the day i picked it up, that's exactly what she said...."Oh, it's so cute!" Then we went somewhere and i scared the S*** out of her. I win.
    '04 WRB Wagon

Yeah I also get a lot of "It's so cute" from women but I always tell them "it's not cute, it's aggressive" I guess its better than someone saying its ugly.

I also get a lot of people coming up in a parking lot or someplace asking how I like the car since they want to get one or have heard of them. Usually I say its fun to drive and is great for what it is. A lot of people coming up have the [mis]conception that its fast as hell. But I just say its quick.

Also, after owning it for a year I have somewhat tuned out my perception of people looking at it and checking it out. If I drive with a buddy or give someone a ride, they often tell me "Hey that person is checking out your car!"
    04 SVT Lightning

Originally posted by Mr. Fancypants
    Yeah I also get a lot of "It's so cute" from women but I always tell them "it's not cute, it's aggressive" I guess its better than someone saying its ugly.

I also get a lot of people coming up in a parking lot or someplace asking how I like the car since they want to get one or have heard of them. Usually I say its fun to drive and is great for what it is. A lot of people coming up have the [mis]conception that its fast as hell. But I just say its quick.

Also, after owning it for a year I have somewhat tuned out my perception of people looking at it and checking it out. If I drive with a buddy or give someone a ride, they often tell me "Hey that person is checking out your car!"
    Having the car checked out is nothing new, and I guess I better expect it when I get the STi. With my PT I have now, I get stares EVERYWHERE I go, even from people who have seen the car before or ridden in it.

RN

I had a guy pull up next to me in a Stealth at a stop light, first he was hitting on me and when i blew him off he wanted to see if i knew anything about my car. he asked me if my car was turbo and who made it and if I "knew how to drive it"; being nice I told him, and when i did he started Rev ing his engine...the light turned green and it turns out he didnt know how to drive his own car, he let off the clutch Too fast and rear ended the car in front of him. it was funny, but i had to stick around for awhile cause he hit the car in front pretty hard ...

Originally posted by OotabaJinga
    Its those bugeyes I guess the chicks digg the bugeyes
    Subaru 17' inch BBS wheels /w Continental ContiExtremeContact Tires, STi Pedals and Tint so far :-P

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast