Raced a Moddified GN, wasnt pretty - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on Raced a Moddified GN, wasnt pretty within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; did the GN's used forged internals?...

did the GN's used forged internals?
    Sold: 2002 WRX
    w/VS0 best of 13.5 at 97.5

New: 2003 Silverado

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I don't want to definitely say yes to the forged internals, but I want to... I DO know that there is a BIG difference between these "3.8"'s and the "3.8" used in so many other later GM cars...the internals and whatnot are much stronger on the turbo Buicks. Hopefully someone will answer the forged question for sure, otherwise, I'm sure the answer is on gnttype.org or turbobuick.com
    2007 Space Grey w/ Coral BMW 335 Coupe

2002 Blue WRX 5 speed SOLD

1987 Grand National - sold
    -12.01@113

There's definitely some beefing up, but I don't know what that entails. Damn, this thread is making me want one sooooo bad!

As far as forged internals, the answer is no. They did have different rods and a different crank then any other buick v6. The crank had rolled fillets but it wasnt forged. you really dont need a forged crank until your deep in the 9's. My motor has a stock crank but i have billet steel caps and a billet block gridle. Your looking at 2200-2500 for a forged crank. you can check out my car at my homepage in my sign.
    86 gn factory light weight (no power options) JE .30 pistons. Comp Cams 218-218, RJC billet girdle and billet main caps, shot peened rods, accufab 70mm plenum & tb, polished crank, champion ported irons, t&d billet roller rockers, chromemolly push rods, 72's, stock ecm with a maxeffort, Aeromotive fuel pump and SX filter , PT&E Q-trim 70, PT&E front mount intercooler with custom c02 intercooler spayer, ATR 3" DP with ATR gate, Cotton's 3" single shot exhaust, 200-4R with billet hard parts and rollerized with stageright trans brake, 3400 rpm stall art carr converter, Power Trax HD locker, msd dis4.

http://community.webshots.com/user/10secgn

Originally posted by ezatnova
    It's funny because you told one of the prime posters and sources of info on TurboBuick.com to do his homework.

You were, in fact, wrong in what you said, implying that all 87's were GN-X's and that all 86's were just GNs. GN-X's although only produced in 87 were only a FRACTION of the TR's produced. So, when you compare 86's to 87's, you don't assume at all you are talking about a GN-X as the 87.

Lyonsd was right, differences between 86 and 7 are slight...most just cosmetic and intanglible.

Before you give someone SH*T you'd better go back and READ THE POSTS AGAIN!

Here let me help you:

------------------------
    1st post

"The 86 is a high 12 second car easily with some basic tweeks.

An 87 GN-X will do 11's without any problems. Just a few minor bolt-ons.

There are MANY sub-11 second GN's around. They can be NASTY to run with."

I DONT SEE ANYTHING ABOUT THE MENTIONING OR IMPLYING AN 87 GN. DO YOU? I SPECIFICALLY MENTION THE GNX.
    -----------------------------

lyonsd's 1st reply/post

"'86 and '87 turbo Regals are, for all practical purposes, the same."

WELL THATS TRUE BUT I WAS COMPARING THE GNX WAS I NOT?

-------------------------------

Page 3 my 2nd post

I GO OUT OF MY WAY TO EXPLAIN, FOR THOSE WHO DO NOT KNOW, THE BASIC DIFFERENCES BETWEEN THE GN's AND THE GNX's.... I *THINK* I DID A FAIRLY GOOD JOB AT THAT! AND IN PLAIN ENGLISH.

-------------------------------

Page 3 lyonsd 2nd post:

HE AKNOWLEDGES OUR DISCREPANCY AND EXPLAINS.

---------------------------------

THEN EZATNOVA comes along with his wisdom and wit to explain to me THAT SOMEHOW I AM THE ONE WHO GOT IT ALL WRONG AND WAS POSTING FALSE INFORMATION:

"It's funny because you told one of the prime posters and sources of info on TurboBuick.com to do his homework."

THEN YOU GO ON TO SAY:

"You were, in fact, wrong in what you said, implying that all 87's were GN-X's and that all 86's were just GNs. "

I NEVER implied my friend, NEVER. You can not read nor interpret what you have just read.

Might wanna RE-THINK your statements?!
    03 EB Expedition
    --------------------
    SOLD!!!
    03 Cobra
    1/4 - 12.05
    MPH - 118.06
    465 RWHP
    485 RWTQ

Originally posted by lyonsd
    What's up, Charles? I used to live in Warner Robins. I really liked it down there. I bought my GN from a guy in Macon.

I don't have problems with the tires breaking loose too much these days - I run Nitto 555Rs.

However, when I first bought it it did not have posi. So I bought and installed an Eaton posi and later installed Nittos. If the tires break loose, they squeal for an instant and hook right up. It's a neat feeling.

I still have the stock rims and everything. I want to keep it looking as stock as possible - right down to the exhaust.

It also came with the lame digital instrumentation. So I bought a GNX-style cluster which you can see at the link below. YOu can also see the wood dash trim I also installed:

http://turboconnection.com/showcase/87gn

whats up,

Its funny, b/c my car actually came from some dealership in macon, and i am from missouri. I also have posi, it came with the car. Everything that is done to my car was done to it when i got it. I havent did one thing to it. just turned the boost up and down from the drivers seat. Im not familiar with the area yet, so maybe you could tell me where you are. I live on the af base.
    Do you want to get rid of your digital b/c i hate the dash i currently have?.
    thanks charles.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails me and june.jpg  

Originally posted by 03Cobra

"You were, in fact, wrong in what you said, implying that all 87's were GN-X's and that all 86's were just GNs. "

I NEVER implied my friend, NEVER. You can not read nor interpret what you have just read.

Might wanna RE-THINK your statements?!
    Nope, you made the initial mistake. This is directly from your post.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by lyonsd:
    '86 and '87 turbo Regals are, for all practical purposes, the same.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do your homework my friend they are NOT. The GN-X had some pretty big differences.

So, you see, you quoted lyonsd's note about how 86's and 7's are the same, and you then respond to that by saying they are NOT and how the GN-X had differences...which directly implies that since you say they are NOT the same, and that the GN-X was the car that was different, then all 87's would be GN-X's.
    2007 Space Grey w/ Coral BMW 335 Coupe

2002 Blue WRX 5 speed SOLD

1987 Grand National - sold
    -12.01@113

Originally posted by charleslong
    Im not familiar with the area yet, so maybe you could tell me where you are. I live on the af base.
    I'm in Flowery Branch now which is up by Gainesville.

[/b]Do you want to get rid of your digital b/c i hate the dash i currently have?[/B]
    I don't think so. I think I'd better keep it around in case I ever return the car to stock.

Originally posted by lyonsd
    I'm in Flowery Branch now which is up by Gainesville.

I don't think so. I think I'd better keep it around in case I ever return the car to stock.
    i totally understand you. i dont care about my stock dash, it looks so ancient. if you do decide you want to let me know and you can have my stock dash with just under 100k miles on i.
    lol
    thanks
    charles
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails booboo sitting on the beach.jpg  

Originally posted by ezatnova
    Nope, you made the initial mistake. This is directly from your post.

So, you see, you quoted lyonsd's note about how 86's and 7's are the same, and you then respond to that by saying they are NOT and how the GN-X had differences...which directly implies that since you say they are NOT the same, and that the GN-X was the car that was different, then all 87's would be GN-X's.

I fail to see the mistake. This is a true statement 86's and 87's are NOT the same. ALL 86 models ARE NOT the same as all 87 models.

I ASSUMED everyone knew there were 2 different models of GN in 1987. This is somewhat common knowledge. MOST car nuts have heard of the limited production Buick GNX.

Again ALL 86's and ALL 87's are NOT the same. ALL 86's are VERY smilar to SOME/MOST 87's. The exclusion of the GNX. Which was my original statement. There exists a VERSION of the GN called the GNX made in 1987 (only) and was faster and better.

ALL implies EVERY instance within the GROUP of 86's. NOT ALL implies 1 or more instances of 1987's were DIFFERENT than the 1986 group.

There existed 547 GN's of the 1987 group that was IN FACT DIFFERENT. Which by SIMPLE logic says what I said. They ARE NOT THE SAME. A sub group of GN's called the GNX which lies within the GROUP of 87 GN's was NOT the same as ALL 1986 GN's.

Let me put it in RICER terms for ya:

All 2002 WRX's ARE NOT THE SAME AS ALL 2003 WRX's. Why? Because in 2003 they made a version that was QUITE different. Its still called a WRX but its the STi version. A SUB GROUP of WRX's. You list the difference.

I hope this analogy helped those logically challenged.

Originally posted by 03Cobra

All 2002 WRX's ARE NOT THE SAME AS ALL 2003 WRX's. Why? Because in 2003 they made a version that was QUITE different. Its still called a WRX but its the STi version. A SUB GROUP of WRX's. You list the difference.

I hope this analogy helped those logically challenged. [/B]
    USDM STi's are MY04 right?

-tp

Originally posted by charleslong
    i am from missouri.
    Me too.

03Cobra,

I think the biggest problem is when you said that he should do his homework. It seems that it just rubbed someone the wrong way. You guys are arguing, in a sense, the same point, just from different points of view. Why don't you say you were wrong for the homework comment, the other party can then admit that that is really what irked them and we can move along. Instead of arguing, just discuss the beauty of this classic auto.

Originally posted by 2001S4
    03Cobra,

I think the biggest problem is when you said that he should do his homework. It seems that it just rubbed someone the wrong way. You guys are arguing, in a sense, the same point, just from different points of view. Why don't you say you were wrong for the homework comment, the other party can then admit that that is really what irked them and we can move along. Instead of arguing, just discuss the beauty of this classic auto.
    yeah,
    and i will see if i can find something that shows the difference in all the models.

Originally posted by 2001S4
    03Cobra,

Me and the GN guy worked out the discrepancies. That was no big deal. It was the other 2 guys that pissed me off. Well, actually I just like to argue some times. Not really pissed, just something to ***** about... I think its ALL THIS DAMN RAIN! Another 4 inches last night.... 14 inches of extra rain this year so far... Now I know why people from Seattle kill themselves all the time (jk)....

Yea, lets move on.... Sorry!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.