LS1 Z28 goes down-- I had to do it... (long)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on LS1 Z28 goes down-- I had to do it... (long) within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I was on the way back from Father's Day dinner at my roommate's parents house. He was behind me driving ...

Thumbs up LS1 Z28 goes down-- I had to do it... (long)

I was on the way back from Father's Day dinner at my roommate's parents house. He was behind me driving his lightly modded BMW 323i, and I was in the WRX (full turboback, uppipe, AVC-R at 17psi, Samco hoses, TXS chip). I had just added the Invidia catless downpipe the day before, and was really enjoying the new sound and added power.

The entrance to the Elgin Ohare Expressway off of Meacham has two lanes turning left at a stoplight, then a long straightaway (1/4 mile) with two lanes, before finally becoming one lane for the merge onto the expressway. The pewter Z28 (stock exhaust tips) had the inside lane, and I was on the outside. I looked over at him, and gave him a thumbs up and an appreciative nod as I do for all LS1's I run across (I own one, so am compelled to do so). This guy, however, dismissed me with a shake of his head and a smirk as if to say "Pffft, yeah right." My roommate behind me saw the whole thing, and chirped me on the Nextel, and simply said, "Take him" (he must've been watching the F&F DVD recently, LOL).

Now, mind you, I'm very respectful of the LS1's, and know what they can do. I'm a moderator for the Midwest F-Body Association, and I'm on my second LS1. Out of respect, I normally wouldn't provoke a race with one, but this guy asked for it. So I revved my full catless exhaust at the guy, to let him know that my intentions should not be taken lightly.

We got the arrow, and both aggressively took the turn. As I had the outside lane and the wider arc, I drifted out wide for better traction with my tires starting to howl and slip, and also to allow him room should his tail kick out. We were approximately side by side through the turn. I finally went full throttle in 1st gear just as I was completing the turn and the straightaway beckoned. My car JUMPED ahead of him at this point as I hit redline and slammed 2nd. I checked my driver's side mirror, and could see him full on it, with the telltale hint of fuel enrichened exhaust puffing out his pipes. 2nd gear came and went, with me pulling further ahead. I shifted to 3rd at redline, watching the clear road and the merge up ahead, while keeping an eye on the Z in my mirror. I was expecting him to start reeling me in, but it never happened. I hit 4th and took it up to 115-120 mph with him a good 5-6 car lengths behind me. I let off for the upcoming bend right as we merged onto the expressway, and he caught up very quickly, indicating he was staying on it the whole way.

We backed down to the speed limit, and then took the next off ramp as we both got onto 290 east. I was doing about 60 mph, waiting for him to pull along side me, but he stayed behind me for awhile, like a dog with his tail between it's legs. I was toying with the idea of motioning with my arms like, "hey, what happened hotshot?", but thought better of it. He then pulled along side and motioned to go again from a roll. I nodded my head, and he immediately took off before I had a chance to respond. I didn't take the bait, and instead I waited back, and changed lanes to the far left, and motioned for him to slow down. He backed off and we pulled even, and I shouted through the windows to let traffic get up ahead far enough so we had some room. He said, "sounds good".

I downshifted to 3rd at 55, and power braked to bring my boost up. He heard me doing so, and hammered it the same instant I let my foot off the brake. We had a dead even jump, and we stayed side by side with neither of us pulling an inch all through my 3rd gear from 55 up to about 95 mph (my AVC-R indicated that I hit a peak of 7320 rpms). I let off due to a car in my lane that I was quickly gaining on, and shifted to 4th and gently pulled behind him. Probably once I had hit the dreaded 4th gear, he would've started pulling on me, but I had to exit soon and no time for another run. He slowed and we pulled side by side again. This time, he smiled, and gave me a well earned thumbs up, which I returned in kind.

I had to share this here, because a number of my fellow F-body bretheren probably couldn't handle hearing of it.

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Nice man. I'm sure he was very humble about the event
    2002 WRBP WRX

Old setup = BPM GT turboback, PDE up-pipe, Unichip w/custom map, cooler plugs (NGK range 7), Walbro 255LPH FP, MBC (15 PSI), and custom built turbo utilizing the 13G housing (Internals: Hitachi compressor wheel, Mitsu 15G turbine lightly clipped).

1/4, 12.88 105.10 - 1/8, 8.09 85.96

New set up = Now w/UTEC and STI Injectors

1/4, ? - 1/8, ?

Nice story... "My roommate behind me saw the whole thing, and chirped me on the Nextel, and simply said, "Take him" (he must've been watching the F&F DVD recently, LOL). " thats the best part hahaha

Nicely done. I'm amazed at how your car handled that V8 beast.

Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator
    TXS Stage 4 UTEC + TMIC + JoeP
    12.75 @ 105.67mph - 1.74 60'

are you sure the guy was racing? that 5-6 car lengths is an awful big lead for just a stage 2. I was always under the impression any ls1 would destroy a txs stage 2 from a roll

The 5-6 carlengths distance was from a dead stop and making a left hand turn onto the entrance ramp. I may have been able to hit WOT a bit sooner than he did coming around the turn. The way he rushed up on me when I finally let off indicates he was still trying to catch up. We were dead even later on a 3rd gear roll. He was most definitely trying, as my roommate confirmed watching the whole thing from behind. It appeared stock (hence why I mentioned the stock tips).

I don't know if it was a 6 speed with 3.42's, an automatic with 3.23's, or an automatic with 2.73's. I tend to think it was an automatic based on the fact that I hung with him on the 3rd gear roll.

TXS stage 2 is a full turbo back, stock uppipe, with their ridiculous ABC. I've got a little more punch than that...

Great race Dan!!!!!

Now that I've solved my boost issue and have full exhaust, its time to go play .
    Team Mullet Racing
    2004 White Evolution VIII - Wingless and Altezzaless
    www.forgivendriven.com

SOLD - Stage 4 WRX Wagon - 12.7 at 106mph - SOLD

Thumbs up

One of the best posts that I've seen since I have been a member.
    e46 M3 (new toy)
    02 wrx w/257 swap (now sold)
    IS 300 5spd w/ NAV (hers)

I believe it was an automatic because with your mods you would get destroyed by an m6 ls1. Auto ls1's I usually are nearly side by side with the wrx inching away if they are bone stock that is.

Originally posted by BamBooI
    I believe it was an automatic because with your mods you would get destroyed by an m6 ls1. Auto ls1's I usually are nearly side by side with the wrx inching away if they are bone stock that is.
    Not high stall convertered automatic LS1s .
    Team Mullet Racing
    2004 White Evolution VIII - Wingless and Altezzaless
    www.forgivendriven.com

SOLD - Stage 4 WRX Wagon - 12.7 at 106mph - SOLD

Originally posted by Shaitiger
    Not high stall convertered automatic LS1s .
    I don't think stalls help from a roll? Or do they?

I agree it was probably an automatic. The high stall converter actually hurts from a higher speed roll. Unless the guy has a lock up switch on the converter. My 98 Formula with a 2800 Vigilante would burn the tires at 30 mph in 2nd gear at half throttle. That rocked, and so did 1.7 sixty foots at the track. But it always got taken down by six speed LS1's on the highway.

I'm gonna try to head up to GLD in Union Grove, WI tomorrow night for the street races, and also get some new track times. Time to see what she's doin' now.

Thanks for the words of support!

Thumbs up

Nice kill. You got quite the stable there man, best of both worlds.
    2000 LS1 Camaro M6

Banned
    B.S story there is no way that stupid little wannabe rice burner,could even come close to keeping up with a z28,i cant believe you would even post some **** like that,and if anyone of you idiots believe him and (HIS ROOMATE) your just as dumb.

P.S IMPORTS SUCK-BUY AMERICAN

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast