LS1 Z28 goes down-- I had to do it... (long) - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on LS1 Z28 goes down-- I had to do it... (long) within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; 1st, how do you powerbreak at 55MPH? 2nd did you have teh stock wrx turbo and if you did how ...

1st, how do you powerbreak at 55MPH?

2nd did you have teh stock wrx turbo and if you did how in the heel did you keep up with an LS1? That turbo is so small it has no topend, not to mention AWD to slow you down. I believe you won from a dead stop, but a roll is hard to believe with a 13b, hell even the 15 series, but a 20G will make you yank small bikes.

I mean I would run WRX's with full boltons a small turbo and they fell behind real fast./

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by TSi AWD
    1st, how do you powerbreak at 55MPH?

2nd did you have teh stock wrx turbo and if you did how in the heel did you keep up with an LS1? That turbo is so small it has no topend, not to mention AWD to slow you down. I believe you won from a dead stop, but a roll is hard to believe with a 13b, hell even the 15 series, but a 20G will make you yank small bikes.

I mean I would run WRX's with full boltons a small turbo and they fell behind real fast./
    Automatics are slow from a roll(compared to an m6). He would have gotten walked badly from a m6.

You only need to trap at like 100 to walk away from an stock ls1 auto. Now a 6spd.... You need to trap like 106+ to walk one of those. This is they are stock now.

Originally posted by BamBooI
    Automatics are slow from a roll(compared to an m6). He would have gotten walked badly from a m6.

You only need to trap at like 100 to walk away from an stock ls1 auto. Now a 6spd.... You need to trap like 106+ to walk one of those. This is they are stock now.
    Nah...have run two modded LS1's (WS6 and SS m6's) and was "slightly" faster than one from a roll and the other was dead even (literally) until my 4th gear shift - then he walked me (literally) and I'm only trapping 104-105mph. Maybe I'm just one quick shiftn' mofo but that's how it is in my WRX ( I weigh 180lbs full interior and ONLY spare removed - that's it).
    2002 WRBP WRX

Old setup = BPM GT turboback, PDE up-pipe, Unichip w/custom map, cooler plugs (NGK range 7), Walbro 255LPH FP, MBC (15 PSI), and custom built turbo utilizing the 13G housing (Internals: Hitachi compressor wheel, Mitsu 15G turbine lightly clipped).

1/4, 12.88 105.10 - 1/8, 8.09 85.96

New set up = Now w/UTEC and STI Injectors

1/4, ? - 1/8, ?

Well I am right. You need to trap around 106 to walk away/hang with one. If you trap at 100 you will get walked by an m6.

Awww, I was gonna ask RiceEater why we'd have to go to Ohio to run him, but then I realized that with curfew laws for minors, he probably can't leave the state. I can always bring out the Hawk (400 rwhp on motor, 480 rwhp on the bottle) and throw a "My other ride is a WRX" license plate bracket on it so he can read it from behind, if he really wants to run for cash. Although the F-body is in the garage with a blown headgasket right now.

Power braking (at least my definition) is using the brake to keep the vehicle speed steady, while flooring the throttle to bring up the boost (left foot on the brake, right foot on the gas). So as soon as you're ready to go, there's no waiting for the turbo to spool up. Helps against cars that have superchargers or just naturally aspirated. Sort of like a brake torque with an automatic vehicle, but while moving. Of course this wears out the brakes and heats them up, but it's not something that I do more than once in a great while.

The stock turbo is trapping at nearly 101 mph for me. I know the LS1 would've likely walked me above 95 mph, which is where I let off (top of 3rd gear) on our race from a roll. Like I mentioned, he was probably an automatic, and I don't know if he had the 3.23 rearend or the 2.73 rear end (which would make for a slower than usual LS1). From what I've seen, stock LS1 automatics typically trap between 101-105 mph. Six speeds will be around 106-109 (driver ability also a factor).

If you blew you head gasket, I bet you had some detonation, need to tune a lil better or shoot a smaller shot. Maybe stronger ARP Head bolts, you have an all aluminum block and head so it is not as strong as the iron, which I believe is the only advantage the LT1 has, that and low end torque.

Originally posted by BamBooI
    Well I am right. You need to trap around 106 to walk away/hang with one. If you trap at 100 you will get walked by an m6.
    BamBooI, remember that the "trap" speed is only a measure of accelleration of how quickly a vehicle is covering the last 66ft of the 1/4 mile. Does that mean that a car that traps 105mph is slower than another that traps at 110mph? No! It wasn't literally how fast it went across the line but how fast it was covering the last part of the track. That's a function power and GEARING. You must also look at the numbers it turned for the 1/8th as well.

BTW, I didn't make those stories up. If you you know anybody in the Charlotte area I wil gladly run them just to prove this (you're in SC right?).
    2002 WRBP WRX

Old setup = BPM GT turboback, PDE up-pipe, Unichip w/custom map, cooler plugs (NGK range 7), Walbro 255LPH FP, MBC (15 PSI), and custom built turbo utilizing the 13G housing (Internals: Hitachi compressor wheel, Mitsu 15G turbine lightly clipped).

1/4, 12.88 105.10 - 1/8, 8.09 85.96

New set up = Now w/UTEC and STI Injectors

1/4, ? - 1/8, ?

Originally posted by boosted 4
    BamBooI, remember that the "trap" speed is only a measure of accelleration of how quickly a vehicle is covering the last 66ft of the 1/4 mile. Does that mean that a car that traps 105mph is slower than another that traps at 110mph?
    Trap speed is the average of x distance to x distance(i forgot the distance). And I believe a car that traps 110 is faster than a car that traps 105 from a roll that is. 45-120. You already said you lost to that one when you shifted into 4th which proves me right? I mean I'm not hating or anything, but you already said you got walked past 100 so???? Maybe till 100 you can hang but not after that.

Best I've trapped was 104, but I'm also a huge newb with the stick. I haver however walked 2 or 3 WRX's, probably stock, from a 40+ roll HARD. We're talking buslengths by 85. I'd say you probably ran an A4, or an M6 thats an even worse driver than I am
    2000 LS1 Camaro M6

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.