98 T/A w/ Mods Encounter
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 98 T/A w/ Mods Encounter within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I got KILLED ... but it was fun. I was almost home on Johnson Ferry and I pass a modded ...

98 T/A w/ Mods Encounter

I got KILLED ... but it was fun. I was almost home on Johnson Ferry and I pass a modded T/A. I think nothing of it but he comes next to me and jumps on the gas and gets off. I wanted to race one anyways so I honked 2 times at it and he slows down. We get along side of each other around 40mph and I give me the wave and I gun it. I pull 1/2 a car but he quickly .... very quickly catches up. We come around a long sweeping turn and I stay on the gas ... 3rd gear 80+/- mph. The T/A jumps on the brakes because of the turn and there was a van in his lane. I slow down and he comes along side of me and I wave for him to pull over. We pull into a parking lot and chat for 30+ minutes and he was going over all his mods and he end goals. I asked him what his mods are and he stated: 98 LS1 T/A, BBK 8mm TB, Slip Lid, Long Tube Headers, Off Road Y Pipe, Borla catless exhaust, SIP Mass Air, and he had some other little things which he couldn't remember. He stated that no one ever wants to race him so I asked if he wouldn't mind running. I know he does 12s no problem but I wanted to see anyways. He agreed so we went to "my" favorite place to do 10-100mph runs.
    We're on the cell phone w/ the headset as usual and I do the count. The first run was from 10-100; I pull 1/2 a car then he just kills me once I'm in 2nd and continues to kill me through 3rd. I back off by 85+/- since he's 3+ cars head of me. The 2nd run was from 40-100mph and it was a little better ... I pull on him 1/2 car and then he kills me 2nd through 3rd. He comes around the turn and he's a little fishy so I give him plenty of room because we already talked about his not good handling car. We go into a gas station and I complemented him on his "fast" car ... that was the 1st time I got "killed" in a "street race." He stated he was surpise that I kept up for the time I did ... umm which is only a few seconds. He even stated that he "knows" I'd kill him in "any" real turns ... the first time we were on Johnson Ferry he saw me just fly through the turn while he was on the brakes. We chatted some more and he turns out to be a nice person.

Lesson learned:
    1. There ARE always faster cars on the road.
    2. American car where NOT meant for turns ... majority.
    3. There are nice people in other clubs even not Subaru dominated ones.
    4. If I race w/ a T/A and/or Camero I will launch next time.
    5. Mountain driving it still more fun ... Street Racing is fun but not as legal.

I had a good time and I told him to join us next time we have a meet. He's never been in high performance handling cars and I never been in a 12s car. I'm sure if the T/A was stock it was be more comparable but anyways it was all fun.
    Last edited by chuglobal; 06-15-2003 at 08:30 PM.
    2004 STI White/Gold
    251whp & 263ft/lbs ( Stock ): 0-60 = 4.8 ( Fastest = 4.1 ) & 1/4 = ?
    276whp & 290ft/lbs ( DP ): 0-60 = 4.5 & 1/4 = 12.9 @ 105mph

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sounds like you need a turbo upgrade my friend!
    2002 WRX 352whp & 341ft-lbs *SOLD*
    12.5@109
    2004 SRT4 449whp & 457ft-lbs
    11.6@125

What DO you run?
    03 Cobra
    566whp/515wtq

Pics
    & Dyno
    Pics

Originally posted by AjDaMan
    What DO you run?
    He hasn't been to the track in a long time. He usually runs whatever challenges him.

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH...........ok. Thanks.

Originally posted by AjDaMan
    What DO you run?
    judging by the mods in his sig, I'd guess low-mid 13's @99+, which is definately not enough to hang with a ls1 from a roll, even a well driven stock one.

Yeah, that's what I thought. Thanks for the input.

BTW: Do you have any pics of your car? Got a link? Full list of mods?

Yo

No pics ... it looks like a stock WRX w/ a roof rack but a big Tanabe SRM exhaust. I have not been to the track ... I'm thinking mid 13s ... I don't think it'll even be low 13s. I was surpised because I never lost that bad ... lesson learned ... no big deal. No more upgrades unless it's a new car such as an STI ... I think I'm gonna buy a house next.
    2004 STI White/Gold

Ah ok. Houses are key. If you have the chance to get one, do it.

Yeah, you definitely need a turbo upgrade. Since you're concerned about the cost just look for a used one on the boards. I've ran only one TA WS6 (only mod "visible" was an exhaust and suspension) and I was reeling it in on a 60 -100+mph pull which we did twice.

Good story though. I like had you had him on the cell and headset the whole time
    2002 WRBP WRX

Old setup = BPM GT turboback, PDE up-pipe, Unichip w/custom map, cooler plugs (NGK range 7), Walbro 255LPH FP, MBC (15 PSI), and custom built turbo utilizing the 13G housing (Internals: Hitachi compressor wheel, Mitsu 15G turbine lightly clipped).

1/4, 12.88 105.10 - 1/8, 8.09 85.96

New set up = Now w/UTEC and STI Injectors

1/4, ? - 1/8, ?

Yo

Naw ... I've already spent all the money I want on my WRX. If I wanted to upgrade then I'll get an STI of something. However my priorities are for the future which would be a house and not another car.
    2004 STI White/Gold

You AWD guys might have better handling (atleast for inexperienced drivers, such as myself) but you still can't do fishtales
    2000 LS1 Camaro M6

Umm

Actually we can ... not a good thing, no control ... when you take a corner at "higher" speeds than normal or rain it's amazing what you can do w/ the throttle position. Of course I know nothing.
    2004 STI White/Gold

Re: 98 T/A w/ Mods Encounter

nm
    Last edited by lyonsd; 11-23-2006 at 12:12 PM.

Originally posted by Simp
    You AWD guys might have better handling (atleast for inexperienced drivers, such as myself) but you still can't do fishtales
    Can fishtail, just not burnout.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.