Neon SRT-4 - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on Neon SRT-4 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey, guys. I didn't mean to stuff it in anyones faces with the FWD comment, but realistically, are you gonna ...

Registered User Quantum-Racing.com's Avatar
    Hey, guys. I didn't mean to stuff it in anyones faces with the FWD comment, but realistically, are you gonna run into a Neon with your WRX on a rally course? I know I won't. I was simply talking about street performance. I used to own a nasty FWD Eclipse that could walk a vette at highway speeds (C5), but it wasn't all that stable. I couldn't do too well from a stop (or anywhere near it) because the FWD would just walk me sideways. At high speeds (re. above legal limits) the AWD does give you a bit of stability.
    www.Quantum-Racing.com
    Home of the Dynapack AWD Dyno
    Sales Email, Tech Email

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

is the neon gonna have an LSD?

its gonna need it if not....

Doug
    '02 WRX - 10.780 @ 136.23
    '07 TBSS - 13.466 @ 103.23

I believe they always have in the past....

VV

Originally posted by dug-e-fresh
    is the neon gonna have an LSD?

its gonna need it if not....

Doug

The Neon SRT4 will come standard with a Torsen type torque biasing diff. Other Neons have an open diff.
    Prodrive Headlight Conversion
    STi Front Grill
    Turbochargers.com Stage 1 Turbo Upgrade - T28 Compressor
    The most important mod is the one behind the steering wheel
    Wagons Are Cool Check Out My Baby Here!

Just want to clear something up. 1st off.. those Caravan's that you see running 12's are 2.5 Turbo 1 Caravan's, built around 1989. 2nd, The Turbo3 engine was built by Chrysler. Lotus did design the head (and the lousy reliablity of it) but Chrysler did the rest as with all their Turbo cars. Based on the fact that the old Turbo 3 Daytona Iroc R/T ran a 14.5 bone stock with 224hp, I'm willing to bet the Neon SRT-4 will run at worse a 14.5 since it weighs close to 500ibs less than the daytona. It should also rule the Salom, the current neon already gives the Viper a run for its money there. All in all, its certinaly going to be a major competitor for the WRX, considering its Price.

We'll just have to wait and see how things go. They haven't even started making them yet. For all we know, it could just be all hype. If I'm wrong and the car performs up to or above standards, that'll be great. FINALLY, more American cars that actually compete with the Japanese market. Maybe it'll bring more like this. However I want to know more than just the 0-60's, how's the slalom compare with other cars? Warranty? Comfort? All we've heard so far are claims of this and that. I know that not many people might agree with me but the safety portion is also a big factor in having these rockets. Anyone know how the Neon SRT peforms as far as safety's concerned?

Drod: The link you added placed the WRX's 0-60 at 6.1. Seems as though the neons.org people are trying to fire-up WRX owners, huh?

I think the car looks pretty cool, cross-eyed and all (see link below)...sorta like my WRX.

- Logan

www.allpar.com/neon/neon-srt-4.html

I don't think it is going to be comfortable. But that is not the point of that car, the car is all about compact performance. This is like buying a lotus elise and ask why the seats are so hard?

It seems the American companies only took 10 years to realize there might be a market for small performance cars. But the good this is, they seems to be coming on strong. The Forus SVT looks promising, and the SRT should provide a really good bang for the buck. If the engine is anything like the Turbo II I had, it should respond really well to mods.

And GM looks like they are going to jump on the bad wagon with a Grand Am and Sunfire 3.4 S/C.

The neat thing is the new US cars can actually handle, vs just going fast in a straight line (Focus and SRT).

I seriously think that the SRT will be a very competitive car in the sport compact market. Ever since Chrysler merged with Daimler, they have had the financial pull and bravado to do whatever it takes to get a bigger piece of the automotive market. Many ricers will say the Neon is this and that about the interior, or bs like that. But the fact of the matter is that it is still based on a very friendly and economical platform. So why gripe about the interior being leagues under an S-Class or whatever? I do believe that with the turbo on the Neon, it will open the eyes of Honda, Toyota, and the rest of the import automakers. With a little tuning and aftermarket parts, the SRT will be a monster. Give it time and many minds will change.

Houston, TX / Athens, GA -at the same time!
    I Support ClubWRX
    especially with the autocrossing reputation that has grown around the neon r/t, i wouldn't doubt the new srt's handling capabilities. it'll be interesting to see what the aftermarket looks like for these cars, and how they'll compete with the wrx

Originally posted by Penguinking
    it'll be interesting to see what the aftermarket looks like for these cars, and how they'll compete with the wrx
    They won't.
    2002 RSX Type S
    Anyone want to buy my car?

mos
    well i own the 2.4L in a 98'Plymouth Breeze, no there is some aftermarket for it, but alot of compinese will probably jump at it. from what i hear it will probably run around 5-8 PSI, because N/A the 2.4L makes about 150hp 167 tq at the crank, with boost controllers and new pistions/intercooler it could run higher boost up to around 10-15psi i bet witch would put down around 300hp i would think. The srt-4 running high 15s...i call BS this car will be around 2,700 LBS and 225 tq, thats less weight and more tq then a rex, meaning it will loose at launch but start to come back and probably pass you at 50-60mph...i think this car will be faster then a rex stock vs. stock in the 1/4 and from a roll...as for neons in the 13's? well many neons run mid-low 12s all moter...witch a wrx could never do. also the 1st gen neon r/t was 2,500lbs stock, with some stuff removed could make 2,200lbs easy.. witch helps alot..neons have huge aftermarket support 2.0L SOHC and DOHC, 3-4 turbos,superchargers, tons of all-moter stuff, not to mention the neons with 2.4L swaps..thoes have potental to be VERY fast..were talking 10's-11's all moter...don't under-estimate a properly tuned neon..

Originally posted by mos
    well i own the 2.4L in a 98'Plymouth Breeze, no there is some aftermarket for it, but alot of compinese will probably jump at it. from what i hear it will probably run around 5-8 PSI, because N/A the 2.4L makes about 150hp 167 tq at the crank, with boost controllers and new pistions/intercooler it could run higher boost up to around 10-15psi i bet witch would put down around 300hp i would think. The srt-4 running high 15s...i call BS this car will be around 2,700 LBS and 225 tq, thats less weight and more tq then a rex, meaning it will loose at launch but start to come back and probably pass you at 50-60mph...i think this car will be faster then a rex stock vs. stock in the 1/4 and from a roll...as for neons in the 13's? well many neons run mid-low 12s all moter...witch a wrx could never do. also the 1st gen neon r/t was 2,500lbs stock, with some stuff removed could make 2,200lbs easy.. witch helps alot..neons have huge aftermarket support 2.0L SOHC and DOHC, 3-4 turbos,superchargers, tons of all-moter stuff, not to mention the neons with 2.4L swaps..thoes have potental to be VERY fast..were talking 10's-11's all moter...don't under-estimate a properly tuned neon..
    Doesn't matter if a car weighs less than the WRX and has more torque and hp, it will never beat the WRX. M3s, Z28s, Cobras, funny cars... all have gone down to the fury of the stock/lightly modded WRX (no BSing here!!), what makes you think that the Neon will be any different?

Hey, at least you'll be faster than the RSX and judging by how many WRX people are proud of their RSX kills on ClubRSX, that will be a huge accomplishment all by itself!
    2002 RSX Type S
    Anyone want to buy my car?

Originally posted by Mt_Fuji
    i agree.
    I second that. Man those Audi Bimmer MB guys gonna be pi**ed.

First matched or beaten by a mod WRXs a under 30K car.
    Now matched or beaten by a mod NEONs a under 20K car.

Life suxs for them

btw don't forget the 400hp/405 torgue Jag Type S-R awd moster.
    What mods, dude this baby is stock
    2002 Platinum Silver 5spd sedan.

Originally posted by mos
    Doesn't matter, we are wrxer by choice. Many more faster cars will
    come and go. But then we can always wait for the rain/snow
    What mods, dude this baby is stock
    2002 Platinum Silver 5spd sedan.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast