WRX vs LS1

This is a discussion on WRX vs LS1 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; well its finally a nice day out in cali (been a june gloom) so i decided to go wash the ...

WRX vs LS1

well its finally a nice day out in cali (been a june gloom) so i decided to go wash the car.
    im at a stop light and what do you know. the infamous and one of the most intimidating cars is next to me. the Ls1 camaro SS.. knowing i was most likely going too lose. i did'nt care. we both look at each other. him with long @!#$ hair (reminded me of kid rock, at least there was no mullet ) we threw a few revs at each other.

light turns green he is owned off the launch. by about 2 cars, his car is fishtailing, waiting for traction. then it happens!
    he gets traction 2nd gear he pulls even too me.
    were both in 3rd and hes is pulling slowy, and i mean slowly. like a half car thru all of 3rd. i was like ****! the infamous poopy sube 4th gear is next.
    we shift to 4th. and he starts pulling a lil more, by the middle of 4th he had about a car and a half on me. so its a good death, i knew i was most likely going to lose. but i was hoping for a crappy driver or something. but o well

he looked stock, and i have tXs turboback and a good set of tires and light rims.

p.s. utec is in the mail, and will put me at a stage 2 then i will need a rematch. but he will most likely pull on me still. need too save $$$ for stage 4
    2008 Evo X
    HBSpeed tuned 351AWHP 345TQ
    T1R TBE, Perrin FMIC, AEM Intake, AP tuned

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Don't race a 2000+ LS1 from a 30+ roll unless you have an upgraded turbo. I had basically a vs1 and i ran a best of 12.9@103 in really cool weather and started running 13.3 in the heat in Texas. So i raced one and was getting pulled from a roll. It wasn't a rapping but it wasn't pretty. So i upgraded to a vf30. Now i own them. I raced a modded ws6 from 30-140 3 times and it was dead even. Best race i've ever had. His best time was 12.9@110 at the track. And he has added 10hp since then. So i was very happy.
    2005 WRB STI - TBE, CAI, Protune
    1.74 60 foot -8.30 1/8@83.66mph

2002 WRX (Gone)
    1.80 60 foot - 8.15 1/8 mile - 12.61@112.19

it was close because he didn't have traction. he would've smoked u if he had traction. ls1's are no slouches!!
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

unless he was at altitude... NA cars suffer immesely up high

Yep, I sold a 2000 Z28 6-speed for the WRX. It was a very fast car with only minor mods...
    2003 WRX Sedan
    2004 Nissan Xterra SE 4x4

if you had a good ecutek map loaded the race would have been even.
    03 blue WRX.
    Weeeeee!

well i knew i was goin to lose, but this was the first car that i knew could actually beat me that i have lined up to so far. and i wanted to hope for either a really crappy driver or just to see how good i can hang with one. and i was impressed with the wrx.
    now i need stage 4 with front mount
    2008 Evo X

Originally posted by Butterfingers
    unless he was at altitude... NA cars suffer immesely up high
    Altitude affects forced induction cars the same as naturally aspirated.

The NHRA altitude correction factors do not differentiate between naturally aspirated and forced induction cars.

Good death. You probably gave him a little bit of a surprise.
    293.2 hp to the ground
    267 lb/ft torque to the ground
    VF-30 Setup

i think i was pretty much sea level. cause i was by my house and i live 2 blocks from he ocean.

and i always thought altitude affected NA more then tubo?
    2008 Evo X

Originally posted by lyonsd
    They may be closer for superchargers but not for turbos. Since superchargers are belt driven they are going to spin at the same speed regardless of altitude. Turbos will spin faster at a higher altitude until the desired pressure is achieved. Turbos will suffer at altitude, but less than a SC'ed car and much less than a NA car.

I could be wrong since I'm at sea level and have no experience to back this up with. Where's Pace or some other Colorado people to explain this better.
    2002 WRX Sedan-Silver
    Turbo XS UTEC Stage IV (VF34)+TMIC, STI RA gears, Exedy clutch/flywheel

Its much easier for a TCed car to compensate for altitude deficencies... after all the car is compressing its own atmosphere. Albeit the turbo has to work harder.

Thin air... no problem turn up the boost... I forgot what the boost correction factor is though... The thing is at altitude you can boost more without leaning out the mixture since the air is already thin and o2 deficent anyway.
    Last edited by Butterfingers; 06-13-2003 at 05:01 PM.

Originally posted by lyonsd

The NHRA altitude correction factors do not differentiate between naturally aspirated and forced induction cars.
    As has already been stated, you're wrong.

I can't exactly remember/am too lazy to explain the science behind it, but turbo cars will be BARELY effected by altitude changes, like probalby not even .05 sec. in the 1/4 per 1000 ft of altitude.

But what do I know, I'm just a lowly NA domestic driver
    2000 LS1 Camaro M6

No, turbo cars are affected by altitude. There are a couple of things to consider (which are usually overlooked):

1. Although you are forcing air into the cylinder at the same amount of boost (if you're lucky), the air you're forcing in has less oxygen content.
    2. The efficiency of the turbo suffers at higher altitudes. Turbos are designed to operate within cetain metrics for maximum efficiency. So, depending on the turbo, spinning it faster may be putting it outside its ideal operating parameters.

As someone who drives at high altitudes on a regular basis, I'll chime in here. My WRX feels very strong at altitude (Tioga Pass is 9945'!). I can't discern any less power up there, unlike normally aspirated cars I've driven which are dogs up there, they really drop off above about 7000'. Of coure this is just my real world experience with the butt dyno, ymmv. If it matters, my WRX is running no power mods unless you count the STI hood scoop.