The WRX Wins Yet Another Award! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on The WRX Wins Yet Another Award! within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Bad image w/ weak transmissions tho. this is more of a mis-conception than truth. you are launching the car with ...

Bad image w/ weak transmissions tho.
    this is more of a mis-conception than truth. you are launching the car with 4 tires! what do you expect? i mean, add an awd system to a mustang v8, and the same issues would arrise.

you can sort of look at it this way, stock wrx tires are only p205 in size. 205 X 4(tires) = 820 in contact surface! thats like being on slicks.

firebirds with ram air packages come with p275 size tires. but since the tranny is taking abuse from only 2 tires (instead of four spinning tires like the wrx); 275 X 2 = 550 in tread. also, despite the traaction of only 2 tires, those 2 tires are at the rear, where there is already less weight, which means the tires break out easier, which reduces the shock impact (abuse) the tranny takes.

you are going to need a p410 size tire to equal the total tire contact surface of the wrx
    03 blue WRX.
    Weeeeee!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by Mattr762
    Don't forget Vishnu and Cobb!
    Them too. I'll be sticking with 2.0L for a while longer.

-Jim

Originally posted by SpeedShift
    this is more of a mis-conception than truth. you are launching the car with 4 tires! what do you expect? i mean, add an awd system to a mustang v8, and the same issues would arrise.
    This is an interesting argument. What you are saying is that the transmission is very strong as long as it is in a 2 wheel drive car, one preferably with very little torque. Put that transmission in an Echo and that thing will last forever!

The fact remains that the transmission is in an AWD car with a moderate amount of torque. If the transmission can't handle it, then it is a weak transmission for that particular application. Personally, I believe the stock transmission is perfectly fine until people decide that a 5K clutch drop is the only way to get great 1/4 ETs. Well, that and the people who believe that a transmission designed for a 170awhp car should be able to reliably handle 250+awhp. I agree with your conclusion, but your argument is weak.
    2002 RSX Type S
    Anyone want to buy my car?

Out here Subarus have always been for Tree Huggers and Lesbians... enter the WRX... Times Change!

Originally posted by Racenut3.0
    Out here Subarus have always been for Tree Huggers and Lesbians... enter the WRX... Times Change!
    LOL I wasn't going to be the first to say it, but I was thinking the same thing. Most Subarus (non-WRX) I've seen around Madison, WI have a healthy dollop of Greenpeace/EarthFirst/EarthDay/Grateful Dead stickers plastered over the back bumper and trunk.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12