stg IV WRX vs. GMC Typhoon (60-100+mph)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on stg IV WRX vs. GMC Typhoon (60-100+mph) within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Driving to work this morning I got boxed in while trying to merge right on another roadway. It was just ...

stg IV WRX vs. GMC Typhoon (60-100+mph)

Driving to work this morning I got boxed in while trying to merge right on another roadway. It was just some white 90's blazer looking truck. Then as I slowed to get in behind, I see Typhoon on the back and I realized why he would not let me in front.

As we merge onto this two lane sweeper that I frequently take at speed the right lane opens up with no one in sight for a least a half mile. I eased it into third at about 60 mph and roll onto the throttle as I change lanes to pass. I could see him accellerate as well but it was not enough. I pulled past him easly in 3rd and hit fourth as I'm leaving him behind. I shut down somewhere over 100 mph, with him many cars back.

Not sure how much power they put out but it seemed to be quick. I havent seen one in a while so I thought it was a rare chance.

I did some quick research and found some times of a stock typhoon, 13.68 @ 98.2 mph. That seemed about right for what I raced today. Then I saw a 12.61 @ 119 mph with no performance mods listed, had to have something done though
    2002 WRX Sedan-Silver
    Turbo XS UTEC Stage IV (VF34)+TMIC, STI RA gears, Exedy clutch/flywheel

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I remember the Syclone being really fast and the Typhoon being right behind it in a comparison. I still have the old Car and Driver when they raced the Syclone against a Ferrari. The little truck that could pulled a 4.9 second 0-60..if I recall correctly the Typhoon was 5.1 to sixty making it faster than our rex's stock..nice trucks..I would love to see one around here where I live..
    -Colin

'03 Blue Meanie Rex
    '88 Isuzu I-Mark RS Turbo
    '83 Porsche 944
    '79 Datsun 280ZX the "Skittle"
    '77 Datsun 280Z
    '72 Datsun 240Z Blue 'not so" Meanie

I've seen one Syclone and it came into work. And it was beat to hell. I doubt it could run fast anymore. Someone really mistreated it.
    '89 Ford Bronco, 5.8L - Custom Stereo, Custom Exaust

Future plans to get a WRX.
    Working on it! Hopefully in September.

old trucks

I'll relate a story from years back but in the early 90's when 03 Cobra had a 5.0 LX that was modded with exhaust and some other stuff (that I don't remember)...we pulled up behind a typhoon at a light in northern VA and started revving at him...he powerbraked that truck and when the light turned green I have never seen an asswhipping like that.....the truck was through the intersection before we were past the white line....I have no idea what mods if any and Mike's GT was by no means slow, but that truck pulled like a bike......both of us were like "wtf".......those trucks are fast too bad there aren't many of them around anymore
    Volvo S60 R (as of July 05)

Formerly ka: BlackWrx
    SOLD 7/05----04 Silver STI
    SOLD: 02 black sedan, Lots of mods

Re: old trucks

Originally posted by BlackWRX
    when the light turned green I have never seen an asswhipping like that.....the truck was through the intersection before we were past the white line....I have no idea what mods if any and Mike's GT was by no means slow, but that truck pulled like a bike
    I read somewhere that they are AWD as well. So with AWD and a blower I bet they can launch like a WRX. Nice sleeper trucks.
    2002 WRX Sedan-Silver
    Turbo XS UTEC Stage IV (VF34)+TMIC, STI RA gears, Exedy clutch/flywheel

Re: Re: old trucks

Originally posted by JRod
    I read somewhere that they are AWD as well. So with AWD and a blower I bet they can launch like a WRX. Nice sleeper trucks.
    They are indeed AWD. That was one of the things that helped seperate them from regular s-10's..well that and a blower and a body kit, reduced towing capacity..
    The 5.0 asswhipping story was good...poignant and well told hehe
    -Colin

'03 Blue Meanie Rex
    '83 Porsche 944
    '77 Datsun 280Z

I raced a Typhoon recently. He hung with me for about the first 30 feet, after that I just pulled away. Quick trucks for sure, monsters off the line, just like us
    2003 Black sedan
    TurboXS UTEC Stage 4 FMIC
    STi 6-Speed with R180 rear end
    APS SR50 turbo, UR 785cc Injectors, Perrin Fuel Rails
    12.5 @ 109
    *7/22/04 - Now with 2.5 Sti engine, still in break in so no times*

Just to clarify, you guys are saying that the Typhoon has a blower. Usually a blower refers to a supercharger. Not sure if this is what you meant. The Typhoon is indeed turbocharged and not supercharged. Sorry if I misunderstood. My old boss had a Typhoon. Was quite fun actually, he had a Saab 9-5 Aero and the Typhoon, a coworker had a WRX, and I had the S4. We had fun comparing them. The Saab was the only one that was noticeably slower. However it was still a sweet car and did have plenty of power.

that's where i got my turbo. they come stock with a tdo6h-20g and an air-to-water intercooler. pretty cool trucks, easy to modify lke the grand national but like the gn they are hard as crap to find, and when you do find one, they want an arm and a leg for it because it's a typhoon or cyclone.
    Mods: TurboSpec 20g hybrid turbo, TurboSpec racing downpipe, custom 3" catback, vishnu uppipe, ported exhaust manifold, ported TGV housings, perrin intake, custom inlet pipe, greddy front mount, walbro 342 pump, perrin fuel rails, sx FPR, sx fuel filter, SSR Competition wheels, Carbon fiber hood, gauges galore inside, techedge WB O2 kit, UTEC, greddy profec b, greddy turbo timer.

1982 280zx turbo swap. Ford supercoupe intercooler. crushed stock FPR, crushed 2g dsm bov. stock 99 dodge diesel catback as intercooler piping. electric fan, and intercooler fan. best e.t. 8.22 @ 84.4 238hp 348tq

Those are some of the best vehicles EVAR to make cheap power on. Adding nothing but engine bolt-ons will put them in the 10's - I'm talking stock longblock and drivetrain folks. It takes a lot more than 4k to put a WRX in the 10s, that's for sure
    <----- Finally found an avatar I like!

If I recall... the Syclone had 280hp stock. 4.3 Turbo Intercooled. I recall reading something about a "Stage II" rated at 325. Not 100% on that though. Regardless... the Syclone (my fav) and Typhone are AWD bad-asses. I remember they were $25,500 when they came out. Not a bad deal.
    2004 Sedan Stage IV (w/ .5L envy) >>> Stripped & Sold!
    2007 Wagon Stock >>> Soon to be traded in for an 08 STI

And for what its worth, 2001S4, I believe a "blower" is just that, be it crank or exhaust driven; since the term dates back to the 50's hot-rod days, most people associate it w/ the crank driven variety.
    -Ray

Originally posted by rayray
    And for what its worth, 2001S4, I believe a "blower" is just that, be it crank or exhaust driven; since the term dates back to the 50's hot-rod days, most people associate it w/ the crank driven variety.
    -Ray
    See I have never associated it with a supercharger. I have always called a turbo a blower for whatever reason..that's what I meant when I said a blower..
    -Colin

'03 Blue Meanie Rex
    '83 Porsche 944
    '77 Datsun 280Z

Originally posted by Shabba
    See I have never associated it with a supercharger. I have always called a turbo a blower for whatever reason..that's what I meant when I said a blower..
    I have never associated a turbocharger with a blower. Only superchargers.

A blower is a system of forcing air into the engine at a higher rate than atmospheric pressure without using exhaust as the drive. The technical name for a blower is a supercharger and there are three types: centrifugal, roots, or vane

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.