WRX vs. MINI S
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX vs. MINI S within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Has anyone driven both the WRX and Mini Cooper S if you have what did you think about them? Im ...

Question WRX vs. MINI S

Has anyone driven both the WRX and Mini Cooper S if you have what did you think about them? Im trying to decide between a WRX or a Mini CooperS

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User Weeeeeeeeeeeeee's Avatar
    even though i love the wrx and wish i had one, id say mini, just so i can go crazy in one and start driving on sidewalks and all that. anyone ever see "the italian job"? that put mini in a new light for me

i have a wrx and my dad has a mini cooper s. i have driven both. i wish the wrx had a gearbox like the mini 6 speed. if you are not inot speed i would get the mini. the interior is awesome, so many cool gadgets and things. get the upgraded radio, it is awesome. soudns very clean and smooth plus has some good bass. the wrx is faster and has more potential as far as performance, but the mini is sooooo cool. back seat in the mini sucks worse than the wrx. (i am a big fella) poeple look at the mini more, at least when i have driven it. god forbid you shoudl ever get in a wreck though, there is hardly a rear end and the motor is soo packed in the nose it's almost funny. it depends on what you want. speed = wrx coolness factor and bmw quality interior, stereo, seats... = mini

oh btw, as far as handling, i don't drive my wrx very hard through corners cuz i don't want to wrap it around a pole but as far as taking turns at speed and feel of car i like the mini, i guess it's because it so small. the blower whine rocks too!!
    Mods: TurboSpec 20g hybrid turbo, TurboSpec racing downpipe, custom 3" catback, vishnu uppipe, ported exhaust manifold, ported TGV housings, perrin intake, custom inlet pipe, greddy front mount, walbro 342 pump, perrin fuel rails, sx FPR, sx fuel filter, SSR Competition wheels, Carbon fiber hood, gauges galore inside, techedge WB O2 kit, UTEC, greddy profec b, greddy turbo timer.

1982 280zx turbo swap. Ford supercoupe intercooler. crushed stock FPR, crushed 2g dsm bov. stock 99 dodge diesel catback as intercooler piping. electric fan, and intercooler fan. best e.t. 8.22 @ 84.4 238hp 348tq

I think the Mini is a great car, but for me, the interior kills it. I think it's really cheesy... it looks like a bad cartoon.

If you can live with that, it's a great car, but nowhere near as fast as the WRX.
    GMH

Plus, working on the Mini is a PITA, if you want to mod. I hate the way that car is put together. Go WRX.
    2000 Forester - 2003 Cadillac CTS - 1988 Toyota Celica AllTrac - 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS-T - 1968 Cadillac Eldorado

I briefly drove a friend's Cooper S, I've had an 02 wrx wagon and now an 03 wrx sedan -

Handling out of the box easily goes to the Mini. Very solid feeling. BMW did an awesome job sorting out a FWD car. I'm sure the WRX will feel close after suspension mods. Power is not an issue between the two - goes to the WRX. Excellent bottom end for such a small SC'd engine. It also had part throttle drivability issues and will sputter or jerk on some occasions. Not much SC whine. The WRX has a better driver oriented seating position and better driver visability. The Mini is heavy and you can feel it, but it has that great BMW "heavy" feel. For an additional $6000 you can get the performance kit from Cooper, supposed to get a little over 200hp - yawn. My friend's Mini has all the pimp options, and after his performance kit it's going to be a $45,000 car !.....DOH!
    03 WR Blue WRX
    Factory Short Shifter
    Stock

I Support ClubWRX
    Heavy?!?! I'd love to own a WRX with kind of heft!

I agree that a Rex with some nice, basic suspension mods should be able to keep up with a Mini S - especially given the AWD in dicey situations.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

Smile

Originally posted by Weeeeeeeeeeeeee
    even though i love the wrx and wish i had one, id say mini, just so i can go crazy in one and start driving on sidewalks and all that. anyone ever see "the italian job"? that put mini in a new light for me
    Yeah, and you can park it on your front porch! The Mini-S is cool, but not in the same class as the WRX. I'd certainly take one over a Turbo Beetle, it's main competitor. Those roof decals are the bomb!
    Last edited by JohnZim63; 06-11-2003 at 06:23 AM.
    2002 WRB 5-spd: K&N drop-in, silencer hack, Samco IC hoses, Godspeed uppipe, Bosal downpipe w/stock 3rd cat, Tanabe RM catback, TB Racing crank pulley, Tanabe GF-210 springs, Koni Sport strut inserts, Group N tranny & motor mounts, Whiteline rack bushings, Kartboy rear-sway endlinks & shifter, Goodridge ss brakelines, Akebono ProACT front pads

thanks for your guys' opinions, wouldnt it just be perfect if i could get both of them. too bad......im still stuck but the wrx is a lot more practical then the mini s but the mini is different and could be a lot of fun, i do lots of sports like mtn. biking, pballing and surfing and it would be easier with the wrx but i could still transport everything with the mini
    hmmm.... decisions decisions.....

All the above arguements are valid for both cars, but given your requirements for fun, I would go with a WRX Wagon.

Yes a wagon

You got the room to haul your **** and your buds ****

You got the power you need for the hills.

You got the awd for the winter and those nasty off road excursions that you WILL take.

and you got the reliablity of Subaru behind you.

The mini is a sweet looking little car, but with what you want to do...the WRX is the only option here.

Look at a wagon, test drive it, test drive a sedan. test drive a mini and then decide.....if you dont buy the wagon....it will surprise me.

or drive a outback, look at the sticker, then buy the WRX

Happy driving
    Stage IV+
    Going for 11's

If you want performance, get the WRX. If you want to look cool, get the Mini.

thanks again i will be going with the WRX but now it is a choice between wagon and sedan, the wagon is $2,000 cheaper, but i want the sedan even though it may not be as practical,thanks again

Its all up to what you feel you need and if you feel like paying the extra money for the sedan

I like them both
    - Jason

South East Region
    2002 Black and Bronze WRX

"hihihi" - R.I.P. Jonathan Braxton Hawkins -

All I know from my experience driving a mini is this. Its to small for a 6'2" person. The spedo is way to far away. The engine restarts itself if you stall (was really surprised by that), The gearbox feels nice, and it doesn't handle well at all in the rain. Oh and the power in the S isn't anything that great, but it has some power if you need it.

My Mods

"The most important mod is the one behind the steering wheel" - Koyokid RIP

6' 4" 275lbs, natural powerlifter 56 inch chest, in other words I am kinda bulky.....I have more room in my Cooper S than my WRX by a long shot. Get the sport package and the seats are better too.

However, You will never make a Cooper as fast in a Drag race (hell my mini currnetly has 199.8WHP) , on a tight track you will never make a WRX as fast as a mini, P.S. I average 20mpg in the WRX V.S 32mpg in the Mini....

Inclement weather, or dirt roads, the WRX obviously rules, the mini is not great in snow.

The mini is without a doubt more "fun" to drive, it makes the WRX feel like a big ole Caddy, slow to respond and gushy with too much body roll. However when I am at a stoplight trying to wail on a Mustang I have to shy away when I am in the Mini.

Insurance - interestingly enogh the Mini is 10% more expensive to insure than the WRX

Modifiability- (is that a word?)..Tie....$1600 into the Mini and I gained 60WHP. I think that is about comparable to a TXS stage 2 as far as power to weight gains for about the same price.

Reliability - gotta go with the MINI on this one, the WRX has notiorously weak trannys, BMW is also MUCH more modification freindly....Intake Exhaust, smaller pulley on supercharger, refalshed ECU and they will usually let it slide, Whereas SOA will nail you for farting inside the car and void your warranty.

Build Quality- MINI no doubt, Hands down winner, The car is much more solid, and well built than the WRX. The paint Sucks on the WRX, The body pannels are flimsy and the car rattles like heck after only 15k miles.

Value- I think the MINI is a slightly better value, however, any savings will be offset by higher insurance premiums. And will probabbly hold itss value better than a WRX.

Winner - If winning every stoplight race is your goal, even in snow, the WRX is your car. If you want to commute down a Curvy Canyon all the while distancing yourself from the Ducati behind you and averaging 34 mpg, the Mini is your car. I Could not pick, bought 'em both instead of an S4....
    1997 VOLVO 850R 14.5@102 with a slushbox and a 2.4 sec 60 ft time.
    1951 chevy 13.3@ 109 gettin some paint
    2002 WRX 13.8 stock turbo :sold
    1996 BMW 318ti what I drive when everything else is broken

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.