First Kill: WRX vs. Turbo Beetle
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on First Kill: WRX vs. Turbo Beetle within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Last night I was pulling out of my complex with a black turbo Beetle in front of me. He made ...

First Kill: WRX vs. Turbo Beetle

Last night I was pulling out of my complex with a black turbo Beetle in front of me. He made a left, and I followed. The lanes merged into one, then split into two at the light. It was red when he got to it and I was slowly rolling to it right before it turned green. I was rolling slowly in neutral when the light changed and I popped it into first, slowly rolling forward. The Beetle took off with a bit more gusto than me so I gassed it, popped into second and gave it a bit more gas. I came up on his right, slowed a bit to match speed, then hit it. I immediately put a couple car lengths on him when I shifted into third, then I pulled a few more lengths. By the time we got to the next light I had about 4 lengths on him. We looked at each other and gave a nod and smile.

My car runs so good....
    03 Cobra
    566whp/515wtq

Pics
    & Dyno
    Pics

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    That's what he gets for spending $30k on a Beetle.

No joke, I've seen some in showrooms that sticker for >$30k. Woohoo. Did someone say STi for that kind of money?

Nice massacre.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

Haha thanks.

30 k for any beetle is just plain stupid. for that kind of money, the dam car better be named herbie. lol.

The way you described it sounds like he wasn't really racing...? You pulled up next to him and punched it? How do you know he did the same? LOL, I bet you still killed him either way

Nice kill...
    -Ryan |Dub-Yuh Our Ex Ess Tee Eye| My Car

I did not launch at the light. I slowly rolled and watched him get on it a little. I shifted into second and pulled up next to him, matched his speed, then gave it some gas. He was definately game as he was going just about as fast as me, only behind my rear bumper. I finally shut it down in third going about 70mph.

The Bettle Turbo S is 0-60 6.7 and 15 sec in the 1/4. Takes them roughly 36.9 sec to get from 0-120

Not worth the price for sure!

It takes the WRX roughly 25.2 to get from 0-120
    '89 Ford Bronco, 5.8L - Custom Stereo, Custom Exaust

Future plans to get a WRX.
    Working on it! Hopefully in September.

get him from a complete stop next time and watch his reaction. lol.

seriously though. we should give thanks to VW for creating the pocket rocket category. Their original GTI blew many a bimmer off the road, back in the day, so VWs can't be all that bad.

I Support ClubWRX
    Did you race the Turbo S (180HP), or the slower turbo (150HP)? I drove one of the 150Hp versions last year (a coworker had one as a loaner, and she was willing to loan it to me...) and was thoroughly unimpressed. My opinion was that the suspension was WAY soft, and that my stock WRX would destroy it in a straight line.

Ray

You gotta admit that a Beetle turbo with the APR stage III kit would make an incredible sleeper.
    Run Forest, Run
    04 Java Black 5Mt XT

Originally posted by RayfieldsWRX
    Did you race the Turbo S (180HP), or the slower turbo (150HP)? I drove one of the 150Hp versions last year (a coworker had one as a loaner, and she was willing to loan it to me...) and was thoroughly unimpressed. My opinion was that the suspension was WAY soft, and that my stock WRX would destroy it in a straight line.

Ray
    I didn't know they had a Turbo S. This one was a plain ol' Turbo.

Originally posted by VA_WRX
    You gotta admit that a Beetle turbo with the APR stage III kit would make an incredible sleeper.
    What are the specs?

I don't think the stage III is ready for the beetle yet but there are more than a few GTI's/Jetta's/Passat's/A4's running around with this kit. It is really well sorted out, similar to a TurboXS stage 4.

http://www.goapr.com/VW/products/stage3_trans.html
    290hp on pump gas/ 340hp on race gas.

Here is a video of a 1.8t turning a 12.6@112mph. I am pretty sure they had drag radials on the car. http://www.goapr.com/VW/products/images/Dragstrip.wmv
    Run Forest, Run
    04 Java Black 5Mt XT

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by AjDaMan
    I didn't know they had a Turbo S. This one was a plain ol' Turbo.
    The standard turbo engine is available in New Beetle GL, GLS, and GLX variants, with 5 speed manual or auto trannies. It has 150 HP and 162 ft-lbs of torque. I think it just says "turbo" on the back. (and of course you can also get the normally-aspirated engine, 115 HP, or the TDI)

The Turbo S (available since last year?) is a completely different model from the above, comes only with a 6-spd manual, 17" wheels, and has 180 HP and 173 ft-lbs torque. I think the increase comes from more boost and different ecu tuning; both engines are 1.8 liters.

I think the Turbo S actually says that on the rear end of the car. Motor Trend says it does 0-60 in about 7.4 seconds. I wouldn't think either car could stand up to a WRX (stock for stock...)

Any of you Vortex guys can feel free to correct me, of course!
    Last edited by RayfieldsWRX; 06-10-2003 at 04:54 PM.

Not bad on those stage kits. That would be real funny to see a fast Beetle. Not your typical site. 50hp difference with race gas? Not bad. That must be with some tuning. The Turbo S models must be the ones with the color matched wheels. I see those around every so often. 7.4 to 60 stock is not too good IMO. No wonder people want to get more power out of them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.