LS1 Trans Am vs WRX
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on LS1 Trans Am vs WRX within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Today, I had my first race against an LS1 Fbody from a roll. I've beaten many from a dead stop ...

LS1 Trans Am vs WRX

Today, I had my first race against an LS1 Fbody from a roll. I've beaten many from a dead stop at the track, but I've never raced one from a roll before. They have a very strong top end so I wasn't feeling all that confident.

The first go was from about 20mph up to 70mph. He let me get the jump and tried to reel me in. I got the jump and basically stayed there. I stayed about a 1/2 car in front of him until we both let off. He didn't seem to happy with out first incounter so he started shadowing me down the road. He got right up next to me doing about 50mph and just sat there. I knew what he wanted. So I did it. I revved to about 4k and dropped down to 3rd gear and floored it. I again got a slight jump on him. We then proceeded to run up to about 90mph before I had to let off because of up coming traffic. We were running door to door all the way. I stayed maybe 1/2 car out in front of him but it was close. We were very equal in speed. I was suprised because a WRX isn't at its best from a roll. Also I was also only running 15psi. I had just turned it down because I had it set close to 17psi from the night before. (1/8 mile track)

It was fun. Who says a WRX can't hang with a Big V8 from a roll.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Your story made me smile because I bet he thought you were totally stock.

hahaha ya thats the best part. then you visit boards like ls1.com where they talk about racing wrxs at a track, and they think the car is in stock form. "man i raced a wrx today, that thing goes 13.2 stock!" hehe too bad their cars actually do that

SGOWRX,
    I'm a little familiar with the WRX and very familiar with the LS1 as that is what I own.. I'm curious to how you now this was an LS1 car versus an LT1 car..
    I notice in your sig it say 13.33 @ 101.. I understand the WRX has great 60 foot times and that is how you are getting a 13.33 with such a low mph.. Now 99% of the LS1 cars I have seen at worst do a 103mph in the ľ.. The LT1ís were a bit slower.. From a stop I donít doubt you would be a great race for a stock to very mild bolt on LS1 (In fact you might beat quite a few of them).. I think if this was an LS1 he may have pulled just slightly on you but not by much.. The only thing I could think of is if he was an M6 and did not know how to drive (Very good possibility, when I was stock I beat 3 or 4 bolt on M6 LS1ís)..
    If it was an LS1, Great kill, even if it was an LT1 great kill. This is not to flame you in any way, just wondering what makes your sure it was the LS1??
    LETS PLAY

Great kill. V-8's are not that fast in stock form. Watch out for modified ones though. If you live in high altitude, all stock v-8's are nothing. I have raced C5 Corvettes and not even a bit impressed. I'm in Colorado and our turbo cars are great up here.

Nice kill, good to see you could hang with him. Those ls1's have good top end.
    2002 MBP WRX

id watch out by saying v8s arent fast in stock form, because this really isnt always true. anyone who knows ls1s(one of the v8 exceptions) can vouch that they are fast in stock form. i mean come on, we think our cars (yes our i just picked mine up today ) are fast with a mid 14 second pass, but imagine a low 13 second. and some fbods are "cherries" and even run high 12s under favorable track conditions! yes high 12s, unusual but not rare, go check over at ls1.com as far as domestic bang for the buck goes, i think the ls1 is it. as far as import goes.......i mean.....well come on

Originally posted by S4Guy
    id watch out by saying v8s arent fast in stock form, because this really isnt always true. anyone who knows ls1s(one of the v8 exceptions) can vouch that they are fast in stock form. i mean come on, we think our cars (yes our i just picked mine up today ) are fast with a mid 14 second pass, but imagine a low 13 second. and some fbods are "cherries" and even run high 12s under favorable track conditions! yes high 12s, unusual but not rare, go check over at ls1.com as far as domestic bang for the buck goes, i think the ls1 is it. as far as import goes.......i mean.....well come on

I owned a stage 2 (450hp, 99z28) - $10,000 in mods and ran easy low to mid 12s . With basic bolt ons, I ran 13.4 @105 I also go to the track every weekend and on average stock LS1's run mid to high 13s. There are the exceptions. With good air and traction some do run low 13s and there has even been the freak that runs 12.9. But that is extremely rare . Many like me who go to the track regularly have never seen this.
    Go to LS1.COM , then go to drag racing/1/4 mile times, they have a post right now - post your stock 1/4 times. Many are running high 13s stock. Thats what a WRX can run with a $100 MBC.

I have yet to be beat by a stock LS1 in either the 1/8 mile or 1/4 mile in my WRX. I only have chip, mbc, exhaust, for mods. I would say thats pretty good.

The LS1 Fbodies are very fast cars. Thats why it is an accomplishment to be able to beat one.

SGO,
    Glad to see you know what the LS1's are capable of and have owned one.. But my question for you is why were you only running low 12's with 10k in mods.. That must have been basicaly when you bought the car back in 99.. Things have changed a ton. There are cars with basic boltons and cam (Stock heads) putting down high 390-low 400 RWHP through the mufflers. Thats about $2500 in mods. That in a full weight LS1 will run a high 11 low 12 with slicks. With a little squeeze your looking at high 10's-low 11's.. $3500 to run high 10's-low 11's is not bad at all..
    There is one LS1 in my area (Sac Raceway Go to norcal-ls1.net look for 12sec'01WS6) he is running 12.66 with just a lid.. The last time I went to the track I went through the traps at 117.6 with only 800psi in the bottle (I was on street tires and could not hook for crap even with out the jug).. I only have $1500 in to the motor right now (Bolton's and a 125 shot). With a 1.7 60foot that is a high 11..
    It is sad that some people think V8's are slow..

For those of you that are really interested in seeing what the LS1 can do, check out LS1tech.com.. That is an awesome board to learn from.
    Take it easy guys, I hope to learn a lot about your cars when I am over here..
    LETS PLAY

theres 2 guys in my area that run '02 z28s, both autos and both i believe only have a Corvette intake (MAF??)??? and exhaust work.

The one runs 13 flat at I think 107, and the other runs 12.9 at 108 or 109... thats fast as hell for as little as it has done....and its an auto!!

I ran 13.2 and have raced quite a few LS1s (I know my f-bodies), and I usually take them up to 100mph (by my speedo... they are catching me, so they are going faster at that time).... then I got passed up and theres nothing I can do.

4th gear is also to blame as you shift into it at about 96-97mph...it sucks for power!

I can definitely hold them off in 1st, 2nd and 3rd... the same holds true for the 6 speeds too...

The guys in the autos, though, told me that the LS1 cars are faster stock with the autos... I have read that the gears are very strong and that the tranny shifting program is also very aggressive in the auto cars...hmmm interesting.....

Doug
    '02 WRX - 10.780 @ 136.23
    '07 TBSS - 13.466 @ 103.23

I had a 95 Formula 1 Firebird with the Lt1 motor and an auto. When I put the auto on the sport setting it would shift right at red line. I used to take other f-bodys because the auto could shift faster and harder. I only had that car for 8 months before the insurance got to expensive. I still love f-bodys and chevy V8's, but I wouldn't trade my WREX for one.
    "Work All Day to Drive All Night"

02 WRB WRX Gone But Not Forgotten
    Injen CAI, Turboxs BOV and MBC, Whiteline Springs, 18" ADR rims, Clear Side Reflectors, Kartboy Short Shifter, KB bushings, KB shift knob, Reverse Indiglow Gauges, Carbon Fiber Boost Gauge and A/F, Push Start Ignition, Scooby Sport Down Pipe and Mid pipe, God Speed Uppipe, Turboxs custom unichip, Bosal Muffler

Originally posted by dug-e-fresh
    theres 2 guys in my area that run '02 z28s, both autos and both i believe only have a Corvette intake (MAF??)??? and exhaust work.

The one runs 13 flat at I think 107, and the other runs 12.9 at 108 or 109... thats fast as hell for as little as it has done....and its an auto!!

I ran 13.2 and have raced quite a few LS1s (I know my f-bodies), and I usually take them up to 100mph (by my speedo... they are catching me, so they are going faster at that time).... then I got passed up and theres nothing I can do.

4th gear is also to blame as you shift into it at about 96-97mph...it sucks for power!

I can definitely hold them off in 1st, 2nd and 3rd... the same holds true for the 6 speeds too...

The guys in the autos, though, told me that the LS1 cars are faster stock with the autos... I have read that the gears are very strong and that the tranny shifting program is also very aggressive in the auto cars...hmmm interesting.....

Doug

The auto's are faster if you put slicks on them.. The 6 speeds have a hard time on the stock 10bolt rear when you do a 4k+ rpm dump with real sticky tires. The autos don't have this problem because of having a converter.. The best stock 6 speed 60 foot I have seen is in the 1.9X range with auto putting slicks on and pulling high 1.7X.. The 6speeds normaly have more MPH though in the 1/4..
    LETS PLAY

I know LS1 Fbodies are fast but to say they run mid 12s with just
    a lid is not an accurate statement. I go to the track every weekend and most stock or near stock LS1's run mid 13s. That a full second from mid 12s. Most LS1 running low 12s with minimal mods are running very high stall converter with slicks to achieve these times.

My friend owns Corvette Connection here in Fort Myer. He does nothing but modify LS1's. His C5 is totally rebuilt top to botton running a 200shot. He won the Viper/Fbody/vette shoot out. So he knows his stuff. To modify them cost serious cash. Good set of headers (not cheap mac headers), y pipe, high flow cats, catback exhaust + installation (Header install is a bitxh) can easily cost $2,000 Thats just the exhaust.
    Then add a cam $350 - most people including myself can't install a cam. Labor is huge on a cam installation. I paid $1800 just for my stage 2 heads. Then you have to pay for that installation.

Unless your a mechanic and can do all the work yourself it is very expensive to modify an LS1.

Also ,if stock LS1 are 12 sec cars, why is it I have never been beat by one with my best ET to date being only 13.3 in the 1/4 mile?
    I know there are factory freaks out there running 12s, bone stock. I just haven't run into one. They are not the norm. Mid 13s is the norm. I see it every weekend at the track.

Originally posted by SGOSWRX
    I know LS1 Fbodies are fast but to say they run mid 12s with just
    a lid is not an accurate statement. I go to the track every weekend and most stock or near stock LS1's run mid 13s. That a full second from mid 12s. Most LS1 running low 12s with minimal mods are running very high stall converter with slicks to achieve these times.

My friend owns Corvette Connection here in Fort Myer. He does nothing but modify LS1's. His C5 is totally rebuilt top to botton running a 200shot. He won the Viper/Fbody/vette shoot out. So he knows his stuff. To modify them cost serious cash. Good set of headers (not cheap mac headers), y pipe, high flow cats, catback exhaust + installation (Header install is a bitxh) can easily cost $2,000 Thats just the exhaust.
    Then add a cam $350 - most people including myself can't install a cam. Labor is huge on a cam installation. I paid $1800 just for my stage 2 heads. Then you have to pay for that installation.

Unless your a mechanic and can do all the work yourself it is very expensive to modify an LS1.

Also ,if stock LS1 are 12 sec cars, why is it I have never been beat by one with my best ET to date being only 13.3 in the 1/4 mile?
    I know there are factory freaks out there running 12s, bone stock. I just haven't run into one. They are not the norm. Mid 13s is the norm. I see it every weekend at the track.

SGO,
    I didn't come to this board to argue LS1 times.. I apologize to you and your board members if that is what anyone here is feeling.. Now that I have cleared the air on that..
    I agree LS1's running mid-high 12's are not the norm in stock form. I agree you will beat 90% of stock LS1's in a street race do to the launch (good posibility at the track to if they are not on slicks).. Since your exit of the LS1 market place (Don't know exactly when that was) things have changed as I stated before.. Just a quick run down on some things..

Lid $125
    filter $50
    Maf ends $100
    Proted TB $150
    Ram air kit $165
    Hooker Long tube headers $400
    Cut out $30
    Pulley $165
    N20 kit with heater $800

Total $1985

That in a 6speed car would trap at 120+.. I know this as I have the above minus headers, pulley and ram air kit and trap at 117 with only 800 psi in the bottle, not the 1100 I should have. On the conservative side, with 1100 psi I should be at 119. Now if I added headers (1-2 mph jugged easily), Ram air (easily 1mpg) I would be hitting 121-122mph right. Now if I were to cut a 1.8, that would equal 11.7x Yes?

Now add just a cam in the equasion and your talking real low 11 to high 10..

Assuming your doing all yourself (I do) $3000 tops, running 10.99-11.2X.. Seems pretty awesome to me..

I have a buddy with a WRX.. This is what he has:
    BOOST CONTROLLER
    LARGER INJECTORS
    FUEL PUMP
    UPGRADED TURBO (NOT SURE SIZE)
    INTAKE
    EXHAUST
    INTERCOOLLER
    STALL CONVERTER (NOT SURE SIZE)

When we run on the street, he leaves me by 1 1/2 cars out of the whole. By the end I have him by 2 cars NA. I only trap at mid 108 NA.. He claimed to be at 15lbs of boost.

In all reality I like the WRX a lot. I just don't see how you got a LS1 from a roll when they trap a higher speed than you stock.. Did he give you the jump? That may have made the difference too.. I'm not trying to flame you, just trying to understand how a car that traps at 103 (on the slow side) got beat by a car that traps at 101.. Anyway, take it easy good kill.. Watch out for those LS1's missing gears later
    LETS PLAY

But headers (excluding the Edelbrock (JBAs?) uncoated junk that was recently released) for C5s are a completely different ball game. (I believe that is what SGOSWRX was talking about). $1000 - $1200 for a good set of coated long tubes is the group buy price on C5 headers. I won't argue with anything else that's been said though. Some LS1s can/do run 12s stock, but not the norm. 12s with a lid are more common, with mid 12s on a cam being even more common. Trap speed is a good measure on what will happen in an roll-on, but if the difference is < 10mph, any jump will take a fair amount of road to make up... Personally, I'm considering LPEs newest kit (April C&D), but it looks like the Magnuson supply is > 1 month out....

VV

C5 Vert + WRX

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.