STi vs. EVO vs. SRT-4 - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on STi vs. EVO vs. SRT-4 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by GriffinREX I am curious as to why they would install a BOV to enhance the performance on ...

Originally posted by GriffinREX
    I am curious as to why they would install a BOV to enhance the performance on a stock turbo.

Seriously, I dont know.
    Because un-informed people will buy it just because BOV's are 'cool'.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by GriffinREX
    I am curious as to why they would install a BOV to enhance the performance on a stock turbo.

Seriously, I dont know.
    Originally posted by boostyle
    Because un-informed people will buy it just because BOV's are 'cool'.
    Wouldn't spooling the turbo up much quicker be an enhancement?
    2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i [Bone Stock]
    2003 Dodge SRT-4 [303 hp/323 tq] - SOLD

Originally posted by Cincy-Rex
    Thats fine and good and all, but these races seem to be from rolling, taking away AWD advantages. The last of the races a roll was offered up to the SRT and he didnt acknowledge the STi, just went ahead and punched it at the light. Am I missing something? Lets see how the SRT does in cornering, or heaven forbid, rain/snow. Not knockin on the SRT by any means, its a great 20k car, fast as a mofo, in the straight. Putting the SRT up against the evo and STi only in competition of its strength is like me challenging shaq to a game of basketball, only thing is he we can only shoot 3's and not play defense. Just my opinion.

Ok, I can stop reading this thread now. I knew it was only a matter of time before someone came back with the incredibly lame and over used AWD advantage excuse. I guess a race is only fair if it is to your advantage.

Originally posted by drizze99
    Wouldn't spooling the turbo up much quicker be an enhancement?
    The stock BOV's are usually adequate for a car on stock turbos. Different weather conditions can effect the boost levels but I'm pretty sure Dodge (as well as every other turbo can co.) has tested and made sure the BOV is enough for the car and can handle the boost that the stock turbo creates. You will see zero to little gain with an aftermarket BOV.

The stock BOV's are usually adequate for a car on stock turbos. Different weather conditions can effect the boost levels but I'm pretty sure Dodge (as well as every other turbo can co.) has tested and made sure the BOV is enough for the car and can handle the boost that the stock turbo creates. You will see zero to little gain with an aftermarket BOV.
    True, but a few guys already found that the stock BOV leaks. When an aftermarket was put in place and a block off plate placed over the stock opening, there were hp gains. (dyno tested)

True, but a few guys already found that the stock BOV leaks. When an aftermarket was put in place and a block off plate placed over the stock opening, there were hp gains. (dyno tested)
    Typical "American" engineering.... Gotta love it, but then again I hate it.
    --Jared

go fast, take the apex(no matter what)

Many props to the NEON. Theres many people I want to race that will say, "It's just a Subaru". Thats why I don't say"It's just a neon". No matter what you drive, people will always say things like that. I bought the STI for it's potential, seems to me that there are people buying the SRT-4 for it's potential, so to me, we still share something in common.....performance and building cars.
    01' GSXR1K Sold
    02' S2K Turbo Sold 5-24
    04 SLO STI Sold 01/04
    03' Cobra
    Pictures

Originally posted by Slo STI
    Many props to the NEON. Theres many people I want to race that will say, "It's just a Subaru". Thats why I don't say"It's just a neon". No matter what you drive, people will always say things like that. I bought the STI for it's potential, seems to me that there are people buying the SRT-4 for it's potential, so to me, we still share something in common.....performance and building cars.
    Werd! Don't hate, appricate!
    2003 Dodge SRT-4 Black
    221 whp/ 241 wtrq *Stock*
    13.585 @ 102.88 *Stage 1*

"Nothing gives you such a sense of the infinite as stupidity"

i like the srt-4... but there is now way in hell id chose one of them over the evo or sti. the evo and sti, do have the awd advantage as everyone states, do have more power, do have many extra's, but the biggest thing for me is that the evo and sti are legends in the automotive business. the srt-4 is a new comer while evo and sti have been around for many years and have been dream cars of millions of people. i dont know, even if the srt-4 was faster than the evo or sti in stock form, id still chose the evo or sti. in 5 years, the srt-4 will be just another fast car, just like eclipse gs-t(gs-x)[not as fast...], but the wrx/sti/evo will still be legendary.
    my R32 on CarDomain

Golf R32
    2004 SL500
    2000 M5 - SS exhaust, Xpipe, AFE Cold Air Intakes, Proj39 Angel Eyes, Carbon Fiber kidney grills, LED taillights... 111mph traps. soon, dinan ecu upgrade.

Gotta start somewhere man. Maybe the SRT-4 will win a ton of crap and start builing a heritage.

On a side not, there is not a chance in hell i would buy an SRT-4 until they make it RWD like it should be....

Ultimately FWD cars understeer at the limit. AWD cars are a mixed bag (can go either way, alot depending). And RWD will oversteer. Now, various levels of tune will increase the limit for all three types of drive. But given equal grip and suspension tune, I believe the AWD car would be easiest driven at the limit through a curve, a FWD would need to slow to regain front wheel traction, and the RWD would give more gas to point the front end, but in the hands of a better driver equal the performance of the easier driven AWD car. Ultimately we should all strive for high power RWD handling nirvana, but realistically it can't always happen (nasty winters everyone?).

If only life was more like GT3 we could have a car in each class and tune to our hearts content. Soon I'll have a nice RWD car to be tuned and maybe after the WRX, I'll get a project Civic Type R (as if they'd come out with that over here, damn Honda :P ). But most likely I'd stick with AWD/Turbo since I have yet to see a car with as much versatility and grip, and a good dose of power.

chris
    Moderator: Retired
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan 5MT - Road Rally - Best 1/4mi: 13.954 @ 97.36mph (3448 lbs)
    2001 Mazda Miata 5MT - AutoX #99 (NNJ Region SCCA 2005 CStock Champion)
    1988 BMW 325 (2.7L "i" conversion) Sedan 5MT - Daily Driver (AutoX soon!)
    "If you can't drive this car fast you can't drive fast." --British Magazine, CAR, on the WRX

Does your car have a lip kit on it? I saw a yellow SRT-4 and it looked like it had less body than yours does... ???

I was thinking about this.

Remember, I'm still deciding which car i should go with, (leaning more towards the WRX wagon).

Can you make a civic go fast like SRT-4 while making it cost the same?

Can you do the samething with WRX?

Or say stock Neon into SRT-4 while costing the same? (neon mod cost : stock SRT-4 cost)

Can you make a stock neon like WRX?

or just putting a car in that class of Civic ($16k ~$18k)

I love how this debate goes on and on! So much variations to think about and talk about between those two and others.

Originally posted by enduroshark
    That's because the rules don't allow AWD.

Here is a series that allows FWD vs RWD vs AWD: http://www.speedvisionwc.com/2003/standings.html

First place in the touring class is the FWD RSX.
    Top ten has 4 FWD cars, 5 RWD cars, and 1 AWD car (4th place). Hmm, there used to be 3 other AWD entries (another Audi and a couple Imprezas) in the bottom third of the rankings but I don't see them on there anymore. I wonder why they dropped out?

AWD fares better in the GT class but I still see a lot of RWD cars in the top 10.

Just goes to show that RWD cars can still compete in the shadow of AWD's complete superiority. Even FWD can compete until the power reaches a certain limit. I'm not THAT much of a Honda fanboy to claim that FWD is a good performance platform.
    2002 RSX Type S
    Anyone want to buy my car?

Does your car have a lip kit on it? I saw a yellow SRT-4 and it looked like it had less body than yours does... ???
    Nope, the body is still stock.

Slo STI, well said!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.