WRX vs Celica GTS
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on WRX vs Celica GTS within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; This is a hypothetical race.... by the way, this is a 2004 auto wrx sedan and a 2000 celica gts ...

WRX vs Celica GTS

This is a hypothetical race.... by the way, this is a 2004 auto wrx sedan and a 2000 celica gts auto. My brother says the celica can keep up with the wrx...I say no way. What do you think?

Also, he says if the celica cant win its because the WRX is turbocharged.....and (since the wrx costs 24,000 and by buying a $12,000 MY2000 celica gts , he would have an extra imaginary $12,000 to mod the car) he continues by saying "let me put a turbo and intercooler in the celica and do other mods with the money I "saved"and you'll get Smashed". I know there's something flawed about this argument but i cant place my finger on it.....what is your response to that??
    MY MODS
    *GET YOUR CLUBWRX KEYRING*
    http://clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54791&highlight=keychai n

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

My brother had a 2000 GTS. Stock to stock, no worries. Stock auto WRX vs. modded GTS...well. Depends on how modded. For some reason, I think my bro was running high 12s in his GTS, spraying. At altitude. And he didn't have a turbo. But his engine wasn't tuned for reliability, either.

Wait a second. Did the GTS version even come in an auto? I thought they were all six-speeds?
    2000 Forester - 2003 Cadillac CTS - 1988 Toyota Celica AllTrac - 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS-T - 1968 Cadillac Eldorado

Um, no. Celica GTS web sites with 0-60/quarter mile times

http://www.modernracer.com/toyotacelicagts.html 7.2/15.4
    http://www.msu.edu/~santosdo/celica.htm 7.0/15.0
    http://www.car-videos.com/performanc...d1=0&Speed2=60 7.46/???
    http://www.business.uiuc.edu/econ102...II/project.htm 7.6/???

So, you're looking at 7.0-7.6 in the 0-60, a full second and a half below a decently driven WRX. The quarter mile times in the WRX are about a second and a half faster too.

As for his whining that "I could slap on a Garrett 1000hp turbo and OWN your ass!!!", tell him to do it then. But if he suffers from a car inferiority complex, he can either be happy with his car or upgrade it. Either way, he should stop making excuses for a loss before you guys even race. It's HIS choice to race, and if he loses, it doesn't matter what he could do with his car, it doesn't matter how bad he drove, it doesn't matter that you too could upgrade the hell out ofyour car and whip up on Ferraris all day long. If he chooses to race and loses, there's no excuses beause he knew what he was up against.

I'm starting to sound like Vin Diesel....think I'll shut up now.

Necros, the "Um, no." was in reply to the original post asking if it could keep up. It wasn't a snide swipe at your comments. I'm just pre-emptively dousing the flames.

Necros, they also had the option of a four-speed SportShift (automatic).

I love the arguments "Well if I slapped on a turbo.." etc. Especially if its with imaginary money. LOL.
    04 SVT Lightning

I remember seeing 7.X sec 0-60mph time for auto WRX. GT-S should have a better top-end power than WRX. I've test driven auto WRX and wasn't too impressed.....
    Last edited by WRXreX; 06-04-2003 at 04:41 PM.

I know you weren't talking to me, EMarkDDS, especially since you agreed wih me. Stock for stock, WRX rules this race. Plus the WRX is easier to mod for less. Although from what I hear the GTS isn't hard to mod either.

WRXreX, seriously? I can't imagine my Cadillac hanging with a WRX. It's slooooooowww...
    2000 Forester - 2003 Cadillac CTS - 1988 Toyota Celica AllTrac - 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS-T - 1968 Cadillac Eldorado

OK....interesting.....now make it a TX stage 4 auto WRX and re-evaluate haha.
    MY MODS
    *GET YOUR CLUBWRX KEYRING*
    http://clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54791&highlight=keychai n

arguements bout buying a cheaper car and using the money you save from it for mod is flawed, big time....think bout, i can buy a junk '78 celica for 250, and mod the crap out of it for 10 grand. what does that prove? nothing

what kinda reasoning is that?

you have to compare like cars w/like cars.....u hear this arguement all the time..."well, i can buy an srt-4 for 20k, slap on another 4k, and kill your sti" yada yada yada
    k&n, sti-hoodscoop, engine mounts, & tranny mount, blitz dtt, catless up-pipe, samco ic hose, greddy CC, cusco f/r swaybars, gutted midpipe, oil cooler, prodrive exhaust & f/r replica sti strut tower bar, gunmetal rota tarmac, goodridge ss lines, p'n'p exhaust manifold

deny the fly-by

Yep. People who say things like that are expecting to lose and only say it to 1) give themselves a victory, even if its in their own mind, and 2) have a ready-made excuse for losing. It's like flunking a biology test and saying, "Well, if I was able to bring in a biology book, I would have scored better than you." LAAAAAAMMMMMMMEEEEE!!!

Originally posted by EMarkDDS
    As for his whining that "I could slap on a Garrett 1000hp turbo and OWN your ass!!!", tell him to do it then.
    This was the crap I always got from r*ceboy civics after my '67 Mustang annihilated them. I didn't enjoy driving the Mustang because of what it "could've had," I loved it because of what it did have. I love my Rex for the same reason (OK, I admit it, the A/C is nice too ), not because it can haul balls, but becuase it does haul balls.

Case in point: I got spanked royally by a 911 Turbo today just outside an ultra-rich peoples' golf course. Did I complain that "with the $85,000 difference between between my car and yours, I could've killed you"? Nope. Who cares if I could be faster, cause as it stands when we each drive home his car just is faster. A big congrats to the black 911 Turbo owner in Castle Pines - whatever it cost you, you've got a sweet ride

The reality is with enough money you can make any car fast, the question is whether someone really will do it or not Execution is key: potential is worthless compared to results. The potential for a honda civic or a toyota celica to be a drag car is certainly there, but virtually no one capitalizes on this and sees it through into reality. Hence the fact that there are more street driven 9 sec. Mustangs, Camaros, Firebirds, and Corvettes in my county than there are street driven 10 sec. Civics and Celicas in the world! LOL!

'Nuff ranting, back on topic...yeah, you'll kill him, and excuses like that are for losers. Funny how the guy who wins will never say anything like that
    <----- Finally found an avatar I like!

Re: WRX vs Celica GTS

Originally posted by BrandonWRX
    This is a hypothetical race.... by the way, this is a 2004 auto wrx sedan and a 2000 celica gts auto. My brother says the celica can keep up with the wrx...I say no way. What do you think?

Also, he says if the celica cant win its because the WRX is turbocharged.....and (since the wrx costs 24,000 and by buying a $12,000 MY2000 celica gts , he would have an extra imaginary $12,000 to mod the car) he continues by saying "let me put a turbo and intercooler in the celica and do other mods with the money I "saved"and you'll get Smashed". I know there's something flawed about this argument but i cant place my finger on it.....what is your response to that??
    Hey Brandon, I don't think there is anyway a GT-S automatic will keep up with you. Auto GT-S Celicas are 4 speed slushboxes and are about 2 seconds slower than the 6 speed GT-S in the 1/4 stock.

Necros, only about 5 percent of Celica's made are GT-S 6 speeds, the rest are autos.

Celicas respond pretty well to bolts ons, Stock GT-S 6 speeds put down around 162WHP, with a Cold Air Intake, and Exhaust they put down 175-180whp and weigh about 2480-2500lbs. Check out Newcelica.org if you guys are interested, with I/E 6 speed Celicas run 14.2-14.5, there is a guy who ran 14.3 with just an intake. Not too shabby.

My Crew has 3 WRX's, and me and my buddy with an 02' Silver WRX 5 speed, go at it every single time we are out. We ALWAYS do roll-ons because I know he will kill me from a stop.

His mods: STi Performance Exhaust, STi Plugs, K&N intake, GFB Pulleys, Subaru Short Shifter, Vishnu Uppipe, Gutted Main Cat, HKS SSBOV, HKS Circle Earth Ground, RPS Clutch, Fidanza Flywheel, Custom Rigged Intercooler Sprayer, Little Weight Reduction, No spare tire and front metal bumper support removed<< I helped him take it out =).

Me: AEM CAI and TRD Exhaust.

We have done countless roll-ons and the Results from 15-120 are DEAD EVEN. I mean we would stay the same, the whole time I could look over and see him and he would do the same, it's that close.
    http://home.att.net/~revolution2zz/sigf.jpg
    2003 Celica GT-S 6 speed - TRD Action Package - Factory Xenon HID

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.